This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu new install freezes at screen that appears just prior to desktop

I have had to reinstall 11.04 on multi boot hd. When I do the first boot after install, the splash screen that appears just before the desktop freezes.

I have installed Kubuntu on three different computers (all with standard Intel VGA graphics card), and had the same problem.

I found the solution once on google search but can't locate it any more. The solution involved the command line, and disabled compositing, as I recall. That fix worked on all 3 installs.

One post referred to changing kderc compositing from true to false, but there is no reference in that file to compositing.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit:
    I just reinstalled using a different CD. I got the same result. Eventually, I discovered a fix. I then went into rescue mode at:

/home/user/.kde/share/config/kwinrc

and changed OpenGLIsUnsafe=true

That solved the problem
    Code:
    [$Version]
    update_info=kwin_on_off.upd:kwin_on_off,kwin_focus2.upd:kwin_focus2,kwin3_plugin.upd:kde3.2,
    kwin.upd:kde3.0r1,kwin.upd:kde3.2Xinerama,kwin_focus1.upd:kwin_focus1

[Compositing]
    OpenGLIsUnsafe=true  ##Note: changed from false to true

[Desktops]
    Name_1=
    Name_2=

[TabBox]
    ListMode=0
    ShowTabBox=true

[Windows]
    IgnoreFocusStealingClasses=kio_uiserver
    This bug occurs before you get to the desktop. I think it would discourage beginners from trying Kubuntu.

Re: [SOLVED]Kubuntu new install freezes at splash screen

Oh. yes! Nice one!

I bumped into this last night and couldn't figure it out. I did look everywhere, but never suspected this could be so close, at... home!

Thank you so much!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED]Kubuntu new install freezes at screen that appears just prior to desktop

Thanks! This drove me crazy for about 3 hours before I found your post and tried it. Had to look up how to use vi, but that one change fixed it!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED]Kubuntu new install freezes at screen that appears just prior to desktop

Good job!

There are so many PCs with "Intel VGA graphics" cards. And, there are manny PCs with those cards that work properly without editing kwinrc. Could you and the others list the model numbers of the Intel cards that gave you problems.

In a Konsole issue
        lspci | grep Display

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I couldn't get anything out of lspci | grep Display.

lshw -C video shows this:

*-display
          description: VGA compatible controller
          product: 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller
          vendor: Intel Corporation
          physical id: 2
          bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
          version: 04
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          capabilities: pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
          configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
          resources: irq:16 memory:dff80000-dfffffff ioport:ecd8(size=8) memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:dff40000-dff7ffff

I just noticed that under System settings--Desktop Effects, the box is grayed out with the notification
          "Desktop effects are not available on this system due to the following technical issues:", with no reasons given. Has been no problem for me since I don't use compositing or special effects.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X