X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Partition Manager and Resizing

I have a new notebook

It is a Dell Latitude E6520. It came with windoze 7 installed. Since I have a 320G hard drive, and since I will be developing some software with Qt that has to run on Windoze, I decided to leave the virus on there and make it dual boot. There is more space allocated to the Windoze partition that I would like. My question is, using the partition manager, will I be able to allocate more space to Kubuntu and less to Windoze? I've never done that and want to get some affirmation that I could do so before I spend much more time configuring what I have.

TIA

Re: Partition Manager and Resizing

I was going to describe the two processes, the WUBI and the LiveCD install. I decided against telling you about the WUBI because every time the kernel is updated it breaks the boot loader.

First, clean up your Windows HD and defrag it.

Download the LiveCD iso of the 32 or 64 bit version of Kubuntu that you want to install. Use the md5 checksum to validate the downloaded iso. Burn it as DAO (disk at once) at 10X speed or less to create the LiveCD. Boot the LiveCD and use the menu option which checks the LiveCD itself BEFORE you use the first menu option, which is to install it.

Then, boot the LiveCD and follow the instructions. Here is a video showing you how to do it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. That is interesting. The installation of Kubuntu gave me 48% of the drive so, apparently, there are some files in the middle of the drive. I am seriously considering reinstalling and blowing windoze away. Somehow, I feel "nasty" having it on here

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Comment

I wouldn't blow away Win7, just make Kubuntu the default boot, not if you want to make exe's that run on Windows. Win will give you the environment to test them in. Set up a shared directory to make it easy to move source back and forth. On Win you can download the express C++ compiler (free) and use it to compile the cute source. When you install QtCreator it should find the Express C++ compiler, but if it doesn't you can change the config to point to it.

As a retired programmer who spent the last 6 years of his employment using Qt4 to develop in-house apps, you are in for a LOT OF FUN! 8) 8)
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X