Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How better handle crashes: no cursor, no mouse; keyboard shortcuts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How better handle crashes: no cursor, no mouse; keyboard shortcuts?

I am looking for a better way to handle crashes, something that is probably well known by those in practice, at least I hope.

Last night I installed Kubuntu 11.04 amd64.
    I have had two crashes that I eventually terminated with the big button on my box.
    Both took away control over cursor and mouse.

<Ctrl><Alt><Del>, F2, F4 did nothing and I can't recall what I should have used instead if anything to get me out of Kwin and Plasma so I could do a shutdown -hP or reboot Kwin somehow.

I did a fresh install, replacing 32bit 9.10 Kubuntu.
    The first crash was while shutting down. I got a message about Jokey crashing and started to fill out the forms offered when cursor and mouse stopped.
    The second crash was while I was using vi to edit my /etc/default/grub (after backing it up). Same thing: no mouse or cursor.

The deeper issue will be what caused the crashes, but for now I mainly want
    Neon 18.04.1 User on desktop and on Asus Transformer 3 Pro laptop

Re: How better handle crashes: no cursor, no mouse; keyboard shortcuts?

The best known keyboard action to restart a stuck computer is called 'Magical Keys'.
    ALT+SYSRQ+(one after the other) r e i s u b

Comment

My understanding is the order should be:

Raising
      Skinny
      Elephants
      Is
      Utterly
      Boring

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
        The best known keyboard action to restart a stuck computer is called 'Magical Keys'.
        ALT+SYSRQ+(one after the other) r e i s u b
        Thanks to both Teunis and oshunluvr for their advice.
        I think on my keyboard I would press ALT+Shift+PrintScreen and r e i s u b (following the Wikipedia article below that had "Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring")

I have not had another "opportunity" or freeze to respond to but I am now more prepared
        Meanwhile I enabled CTRL+ALT+BS and found these links:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_keys
        http://superuser.com/questions/17135...ux-gui-freezes
        Neon 18.04.1 User on desktop and on Asus Transformer 3 Pro laptop

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          My understanding is the order should be:

Raising
          Skinny
          Elephants
          Is
          Utterly
          Boring

I've heard that too but syncing filesystems before sending SIGTERM sounds a little odd to me - I don't know this for sure but it seems some applications may write more data to the disk before terminating. Maybe it doesn't make any difference?

R: Switch the keyboard from raw mode to XLATE mode
          S: Sync all mounted filesystems
          E: Send the SIGTERM signal to all processes except init
          I: Send the SIGKILL signal to all processes except init
          U: Remount all mounted filesystems in read-only mode
          B: Immediately reboot the system, without unmounting partitions or syncing

I use this one because it makes more sense to me and is easier to remember (think 'busier' backwards) -

R: Switch the keyboard from raw mode to XLATE mode
          E: Send the SIGTERM signal to all processes except init
          I: Send the SIGKILL signal to all processes except init
          S: Sync all mounted filesystems
          U: Remount all mounted filesystems in read-only mode
          B: Immediately reboot the system, without unmounting partitions or syncing
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

As it's a sort of kill switch it's the Reis- bit that I can remember :P

Comment

wiki shows it both ways: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Apparently it makes no difference.

Comment

I frequently test apps and because of that I have Ctrl+Alt+BS activated to kill the xserver and throw me back to the login screen.

In System Settings --> Power Management --> Actions, I have closing the lid or pressing the power button running the Shutdown command.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  wiki shows it both ways: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Apparently it makes no difference.
                  I think the difference may be mostly academic but it seems a little strange to me that you'd flush disk buffers before asking an application to terminate.

But you're right. Real-world it probably makes no difference at all.
                  we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                  X