This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Natty and Konsole

What's up with Konsole? I cannot use vi in a konsole window with it trashing the display of konsole from that point on. Also, the file I am editing does not fill up the entire Konsole screen. I have already read about and have found out myself that you cannot resize the konsole window with locking up the computer. Are there any workarounds for these issues?

Re: Natty and Konsole

You'll need to supply us with more information, specifically, what video card and driver are you using? Konsole here in my Natty (32-bit, Intel Integrated Graphics) works as one would expect. I can resize it all I want. No problems.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Find additional information, which comes from Kinfocenter, below:

3D Accelerator: unknown
      Driver:
      Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
      Renderer: Quadro NVS 160m/PCI/SSE2
      Kernel module: unknown

From the Additional Drivers dialog there are two drivers listed:
      NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 173)
      NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [Recommended]

The last is selected; however, There is a note at the bottom of the dialog that states:
      This driver is activated but not currently in use.

What does that mean?

TIA

Comment

At least the crash when resizing is confirmed at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/760632 . There is a bug in the NVidia proprietary driver that makes konsole crash when you resize the window.

From the same place I found a temporary fix that is not that bad. Invoking konsole with the --notransparency command line argument, at least for me, avoids crashes when resizing the window.

Shame on you, NVidia, for letting the update with the fix sleep for more than five weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by barbolani
          At least the crash when resizing is confirmed at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/760632 . There is a bug in the NVidia proprietary driver that makes konsole crash when you resize the window.

From the same place I found a temporary fix that is not that bad. Invoking konsole with the --notransparency command line argument, at least for me, avoids crashes when resizing the window.

Shame on you, NVidia, for letting the update with the fix sleep for more than five weeks.
          Okay. Thanks for the reply. I've been living with it the way it is. I'll give this a try.

Comment

I've discovered that, at least in my machine, trying to change desktop appearance also cold crashes the machine if you've desktop effects enabled.

My recommendation now is to completely switch off desktop effects or switch to the noveau driver.

Comment

The bug is fixed in the new nvidia drivers which are available in this ppa

https://launchpad.net/~philip5/+archive/extra

Comment

Thanks! I'll give this a try.

Comment

Works! Thanks for the help

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Natty and Konsole

Since tonight I'm having the same problem with the konsole on a 64bit install and nVidia Quadro NVS 130M.
                    As I had seen the post about the new nVidia driver I installed it with some success.
                    Some as the system does no longer lock up but now all programs start in full screen.
                    To get them out of this only right-clicking the resize icon will have have effect.

Comment

Um... I'm not having that problem. In fact, I haven't identified any problem since updating the nvidia driver. There mus be something else going on, but I'm not sure what it could be. Maybe someone else can offer some advice.

Comment

Oops, my fault!

One way or another I must have set the Kwin manager to spiral instead of tiling...
                        In the dark I probably hit the wrong keyboard shortcut.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
                          Oops, my fault!

One way or another I must have set the Kwin manager to spiral instead of tiling...
                          In the dark I probably hit the wrong keyboard shortcut.

Glad it is working!

Comment

Working...
                          X