This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notebook Hangs During Shutdown

Due to all sorts of issues I have had with a Dell E6500 and upgrading to 11.04, I decided to do a clean install over the weekend. All that went well and at least one of the problems I was having related to upgrading is resolved; however, my notebook now hangs up on shutdown. The splash screen disappears and I see several lines of text output to the screen (plain text, not GUI), and then I get the splash screen again with the "Kubuntu" and the animated dots. After a few annimations, the computer hangs right there. The keyboard is turned off; there is no hard drive activity and there is no mouse. I have power it down to get it to shutdown.

Any ideas?
    TIA

Re: Notebook Hangs During Shutdown

Usually an APCI issue. You can test this theory by adding "noacpi" to your boot line next time you boot and then doing the shutdown.

Also, look into your log files.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I checked the log files and found nothing. I noticed another post by someone with this same issue. I couldn't find a resolution in that thread. One of the suggestions made in it was to try the shutdown command from a shell. In his case, that didn't make any difference; however, in mine, that works fine.

Havn't tried you suggestion yet, but will do so.

Thanks...

Comment

I have changed the video driver and that has fixed the shutdown issue. I went to the "Additional Drivers" dialog and selected NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [Recommended]" instead of "NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 173).

Shutdown issue resolved after that

Comment

Working...
        X