This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub Issue After Upgrade to Natty

After upgrading to Natty, without any error that I could see, I have grub issues. On reboot, the notebook goes immediately to the grub prompt. I was able to get the machine booted by doing the following:

root (hd0,1)
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
    initrd /initrd.img
    boot

The machine booted with issue. I rebooted and had to issue the same commands again. Can someone tell me how to fix this? I am very unfamiliar with grub and am afraid of busting something beyond repair.

TIA

Re: Grub Issue After Upgrade to Natty

Probably the simplest way to fix it is to reinstall Grub, using a Live CD (obviously you will need a recent-vintage live CD for a version that uses Grub 2). You can find the instruction here, in Section 3 "Reinstalling Grub 2 with a Live CD": http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0

Steps:

1. Boot the Live CD
    2. Run fdisk -l and be sure of your partition layout
    3. Make a mount point
    4. Mount the partition that holds your Linux filesystem
    5. Use the grub-install command with pointer to the mounted root directory to install Grub 2.

Example:
    Code:
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/mypartition /dev/sda

where "/mnt/mypartition" is the partition that you mounted, and "/dev/sda" is the first hard disk drive.

Comment

Okay. Thanks for the input. I am using clonezilla to make an image of the disk before I do anything else

When that is finished, I will try what you have suggested. Thanks again for the help!

Originally posted by dibl
      Probably the simplest way to fix it is to reinstall Grub, using a Live CD (obviously you will need a recent-vintage live CD for a version that uses Grub 2). You can find the instruction here, in Section 3 "Reinstalling Grub 2 with a Live CD": http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0

Steps:

1. Boot the Live CD
      3. Make a mount point
      5. Use the grub-install command with pointer to the mounted root directory to install Grub 2.

Example:
      Code:

where "/mnt/mypartition" is the partition that you mounted, and "/dev/sda" is the first hard disk drive.

Comment

I cloned the disk and gave your suggestion a try. It worked!

However, I did get a couple warning on reboot. The first was "no appropriate mode found", and the second was something related to video; however, the notebook booted an all appears to be working fine. I appreciate the help!

Any idea on the mode message?

Originally posted by leetuckert
        Okay. Thanks for the input. I am using clonezilla to make an image of the disk before I do anything else

When that is finished, I will try what you have suggested. Thanks again for the help!

Originally posted by dibl

Steps:

1. Boot the Live CD
        3. Make a mount point

Example:
        Code:

Comment

The "modes" message as well as the "terminal" message are both about the console framebuffer. Here's more:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ConsoleFramebuffer

Comment

Working...
          X