This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natty has a big problem w Nvidia

After 3 days and countless attempts I feel comfortable in saying that Natty will not work with a Nvidia Geforce 9500GT when a person tries use the proprietary nvidia drivers. After installing the driver the system will only boot to a command prompt.

I have tried numerous possible solutions only to find failure.

1.) I tried to use the additional drivers app "jockey-kde". After reboot only command prompt.

2.) Then issue the command "sudo nvidia-xconfig". After reboot only command prompt.

reinstall a fresh version of natty

3.) Found the following thread: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0 Attempted to install the proprietary driver manually. Followed the instructions verbatim. After reboot only command prompt.

reinstall a fresh version of natty

4.) Used the apt-get tool to install proprietary driver. After reboot only command prompt.

Give up. Concede.

I know folks will want to see a log or actual error output. Unfortunately I cannot copy and paste since I have no gui when the message present themselves. Bottom line is I'm not the only one having issues with my Nvidia card and this release. So I have a simple question, what should I do? Buy a new graphics card? Install 10.10? Wait to see if this problem finds a collective effect and someone fixes? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Natty has a big problem w Nvidia

Hi Spoon.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the 9500 card, but I have it running with Kubu Natty as I type this.

I just ran the additional drivers app.

I might ask a question. After re-reading your post several times I assume that you have never "made it" to the desktop. Is that correct?

If that is correct then I will agree, that I have had the same problem. However, my solution, starting a couple of years ago is to install with a very low end card, and make sure that I have the "additional drivers" app running and that it recognizes that card.

Then I shut down, change the cards and on the reboot, depending on the distro, sometimes the additional driver app pops on its own and recommends a driver and sometimes I navigate to it and install it.

Since I'm just a hardware guy, I can't speak to the elegant linuxy way of doing it from command line, but I'm sure that someone will be along soon to provide that.

But, rest assured that the nvidia 9500 card does run under Natty but the "getting there" can be a problem.

woodsmoke

Comment

Mr Woodsmoke

I appreciate your response! It is very good news to hear that someone has it running. The answer to your question regarding if I made it to the desktop is yes. However I never have made it there with the proprietary driver, only with vesa driver.

The exact card I have is XFX Dual DVI Geforce 9500GT. Maybe that will help too?

Comment

I'm also using a 9500GT to type this and I'll admit that it wasn't a smooth process to install the proprietary driver.

For me, it was an issue with conflicting nvidia drivers. One thing that Natty did that never happened before is automatically install the nvidia driver for me. If this is the case for you, as I predict it might be, try starting from a clean slate. You do have access to graphical login using the vesa driver right?

Open up KPackageKit and search nvidia. Uninstall everything you see there. If your install is like mine was, nvidia-173 will be installed. Just get rid of all of it. Restart and get into command line and follow dibl's guide (#3) verbatim again performing all steps.

Any luck? This is just what worked for me. Sorry if I wasted my breath.

The great thing is that you can't break anything any further. And I think we can get it working for you since it's working for woodsmoke and myself.
        Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
        Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Well we have had a development. I took Mr. Woodsmoke's advice (sort of) and decided to put one component at a time into my pc. My system is pretty simple. I have a GA-880GM-D2H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD motherboard, a XFX Geforce 9500GT video card and a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 TV card.

So I did a complete fresh reinstall without the Hauppauge and low and behold the Nvidia driver worked! After the system was up and running I shutdown, installed the Hauppauge card and tried to reboot. I noticed a weird set of logs during the bios post just before linux started to load:

Verifying DMI Pool Data ...................
          AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI! Update Success
          Then the system started to load linux and failed the exact way it did before. All I could get was a command prompt. At the prompt I tried to 'startx' and it failed with just a few messages but I thought this one was interesting:

NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidia0 (Input/output error).
          (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:1:0:0
          I'm not really good with the internal workings of hardware, but I'm guessing that the Hauppauge is stepping on the video card's toes? When I took the Hauppauge back out it booted up successfully.

Any suggestions on how I can get these two cards to coexist?

Comment

maybe this will help?
            http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043884

FKA: tanderson

Comment

spoon

Tnaderson's linky is a good one, Hauppage has been a problem for a long time, that thread is about as good a method as one can expect.

In terms of you plugging and unplugging....you really now have a very LARGE problem.

NEXT....you will be assembling your own computer!

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
              X