X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fan's question

fan's question

Hi all,
    I've a problem and I don't know if the problem is of my laptop or of kubuntu.
    I've installed in the same laptop (Acer Aspire 5920G, with nvidia GeForce 9500M GS) Windows XP also and its fan control is better than kubuntu, I noticed.
    In particulary, I noticed, at startup, during the plymouth, 2 cases:
    - if the pc is cold, no fan starts; fan starts after some minutes since session's start, and this I like
    - if the pc is hot (GPU about 60°C, normal for my GPU), the plymouth force the GPU already "hot" and fan speed increases and for 10 minutes or more during the session I hear that fan althought temp is 60°C and the fan should decrease.

I'd want a silent pc, not too hot e optimized. I think that the fan speed i checked by the graphic card: in fact it is the causes of the fan's start at the startup because its temperature increase quickly (maybe caused by plymouth??)
    In Windows XP, instead, after GRUB, i seed its "plymouth" (with logo and loading bar etc.) and the fan remain stopped; just after some minutes of use, maybe 5 or more (I don't count them ), fan start at minimum speed...this maybe becasue Windows XP heats less.

According to you is the plymouth that force since the beginning the graphic card and the temp increase quickly??
    Naturally, Desktop Effects are disabled.

Actualy, in the while I'm writing this post, the fan is at the intermediate (minimum, intermediate, hight speed) speed, at 60°C...
    If now I shut down the system or reboot just to see graphic card temp, it is about 64/65°C

Have you some advise?
    I hope yes

Re: fan's question

my advice might not be what you want to hear.

1. windows prolly has a better driver that can control the fans speed. when you see plymouth its loading the drivers, and the rest of the system. so it could just be the card driver.

2. You should let your fan spin as much as it wants to .
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
      my advice might not be what you want to hear.

1. windows prolly has a better driver that can control the fans speed. when you see plymouth its loading the drivers, and the rest of the system. so it could just be the card driver.

2. You should let your fan spin as much as it wants to .
      I noticed that with the GRUB option nolapic the fan starts in a different way...as far as 68°C doesn't start, afterward starts and at 60°C go slowly...

What 'nolapic' does really? I'd want not make damage

Thank you for your answer

Comment

no acpi will disable attempting to use acpi on your machine, acpi is a bit trickey to explain so here is a like to a wiki abotu it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ower_Interface

Comment

no acpi will disable attempting to use acpi on your machine, acpi is a bit trickey to explain so here is a like to a wiki abotu it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ower_Interface
          Thank you for the link, I read it and i understood 'cause with nolapic, pressing "Power Button" system's freeze

But...I didn't undestand the connection between fans and apic...or is there any connection?

Comment

there are a lot of things that are affected by acpi since its *basicly* incharge of controling power flow on the system. your fan issues are prolly caused by a Proformance state chage, in windows the acpi driver works 100%, m$ made sure of this since they had a hand in the drafting.the other thing this were sure to do it make it so acpi will always work best in windows.

how can u fix it ? some suggestions are,

you can try the properiatry driver for your video card (use the "hardware drivers" too jockey) i would start here..

you can make a DSDT file (or find one for your model machine) and use that inplace of the table provided by your bios. (this i would look in to if all driver fails)

you could upgrade your BIOS (if you have an bios upgrade for your machine)

you can wait for an update that fixes the issue.

Comment

how can u fix it ? some suggestions are,

you can try the properiatry driver for your video card (use the "hardware drivers" too jockey) i would start here..

you can wait for an update that fixes the issue.
              I installed the last BIOS and the video card drivers are installed

Now, i've noticed a strance comportament in battery-mode different that AC-mode.
              In AC mode the fan starts during the plymouth at minimum speed; in battery-mode, instead, the fan doesn't start during plymouth but after some minutes during KDE session (when temperature rises).

According to you, why?? I've get out "nolapic" from GRUB, anyway

Comment

battery mode and AC mode are different and your computer might scale some things on a hw level based on how its power supplied.

Comment

Working...
                X