X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not start when using only the battery

Hello everyone.

I dont know what is wrong but if I start my computer using only the battery i will get as far as choosing the OS(kernel) i want o start from grub and after this nothing, just the blue color from the grub menu but nothing on the screen nor HD activity. The only solution is to restart the computer turning it off and on.

This keep happening until i start the computer connected to the electricity. What can be causing this problem and how can i check the logs if any is created just after i choose the kernel from the grub menu.

im using a Lenovo Ideapad Y460 and this didnt happen with Maverick.

I will really appreciate any kind of help on this.

Re: Can not start when using only the battery

Are you certain that the battery actually has a full charge? How old is it? How often has it been 'cycled' - run to discharge and recharged?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hello Snowhog.

I dont think the battery is the problem as I have no problem at all in Windows and had no problems with Maverick. The battery has a full charge and it has less than a year, around 8 months. but like I said I really dont think the battery is the problem it has to be some kind of configuration that Natty has and Maverick didnt have.

is there a way to show the verbose mode or check the log if any is created that far.

Thanks

Comment

Well, with the power cord plugged (running on AC power), and Kubuntu fully booted and you are on the Desktop, I'd check the Power Management settings (System Settings > Power Management) and look at the settings for running on battery. I don't know why you aren't able to get to the KDM Greeter when running on battey in 11.04, but can in earlier releases.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Really? no one else can help me on this.

I have been checking the logs when this happen and no logs are created or nothing is added to the logs on /var/log. Is it possible that something is failing on GRUB even before to load the kernel and because of this nothing is recorded in the logs? Is there any GRUB log that i can check and where it will be?

I really would appreciate all the help i can get.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

I had a similar experience with a previous release and also a Lenovo.

I can't really be certain what cured the problem for me, but try removing the battery for a few seconds. Put the battery back in then try booting Natty.

Comment

It sounds to me like it might be a kernel issue. What you can do is edit your GRUB2 entries from the menu (using this tutorial: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...us During Boot) and remove "quiet" and "splash" from the parameters.

It should then tell you exactly what is happening

Daniel

Comment

Working...
              X