This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade problems

I have just upgraded from Kubuntu 10.04 to 11.04. My system has a "/" partition, a "/home " partition and a swap partition. In the past, when upgrading from 1 version to another I leave the home partition untouched and reformat and install the new version onto the / partition. This has worked successfully over several versions from 8.04 onwards with only minor problems.

This time, 11.04 ran perfectly directly from the cd and after installation I had the graphical login screen but after entering my password all I got was a dialog box on the screen with the message "Kstartupconfig4 does not exist of fails. The error code is 3. Check"

I can do a text login so the password is good but if I try startx then I get the same message again and the system hangs. I cannot find the Kstartupconfig4 file.

This is probably graphic card related. I have an nVidia card. Normally in the past a new installation runs with basic graphics facilities and the first task was to download the proprietry nVidia drivers and then I had the full range of graphic and desktop effects available.

Any ideas please ?

Re: Upgrade problems

Whenever this has happened to me, it's always been because the ownership of either my home directory or the .kde directory got screwed up somehow. It's easier to do during an upgrade/installation than one might think.

After logging into the terminal (test login), try this:

Code:
    sudo chown -R $USER:$USER ~/.kde
    Then try to startx or reboot.

Also check your home directory to see if other permissions were borked.

Comment

Thanks to bdhamp for the advice, I entered the command as suggested and on trying startx as root, the graphical desktop appeared and all seemed normal except it did seem to run rather slowly.

Unfortunately, trying startx as user or from a reboot I get the same response as indicated in the first post. I tried running the chown command for the home directory but that made no difference.

It certainly seems that permissions are the main cause of the problem so I will keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by phil1349

It certainly seems that permissions are the main cause of the problem so I will keep trying.
        It could be your entire home directory, in which case you'll have to change permissions/ownership on the entire directory for your user.

Comment

SOLVED Re: Upgrade problems

I finally managed to sort the problem after resetting the permissions of the /home/user directories so now all is working as intended. My thanks to bdhamp.

Comment

Working...
          X