X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dark screen at login

Hi,
    Just did a fresh install of natty. Everything is perfect, except the following: I turn Laptop on i see grub and the boot up starts. Then the screen just goes black, if i press the increase screen brightness button the screen lights up and its waiting for me to enter my login details. So basically the screen is just dimmed down to the lowest at boot up. Also if i just type in my password and hit enter while the screen is still dim - the normal brightness is there when the desktop pops up. IS there anyway to get the screen to be bright so that i can see that the login screen is there waiting for me?

Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Re: dark screen at login

*bump
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Comment

There's a Grub2 thread somewhere that tells how to change this. i can't remember exactly where it is -- try starting at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Grub 1.99 (the current Natty version) allows you to put any background image in /boot/grub and that will be the background for Grub2

(you have to do a

sudo update-grub

first).

You could always place an all-white image in that folder.

I found a cool Plasma globe image which I use. Since Plymouth doesn't work for any of my computers, the image is cool.

Make sure the image is the same size (resolution) as your screen, such as 1024x768), otherwise it will look ugly.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
      and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Thanks but that wont solve my problem, if i change the image but the screen still has zero brightness i still see nothing. My issue is in telling the computer to up the screen brightness for the login screen.

Comment

Oh yeah, here's the thread at Ubuntu Forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1739412

Also, have you tried installing the kde-config-grub2 module? You can set Grub2 colors with that.

Install:

sudo apt-get install kde-config-grub2

Adjust settings:

K menu -> System -> System Settings -> Startup and Shutdown -> GRUB2 bootloader -> Appearance

(You may still have to do

sudo update-grub

from the command line after changing settings. I'm not sure.)

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
          and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
          X