X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with KDE login screen

Hello, I'm new on linux.
    I installed kubuntu yesterdeay, and to day I changed the login-pass screen, to one that looks like a debian icon on the center. well... rebot, and before I get to that login screen, I get the "Theme not usable with authentication method 'Username + password (classic)' alert.

Then, in the screen, I can't write anything... just take the enter, delete, and esc (oh, and I cand copy paste by mouse)

So that's for now. I hope you take piece of your time with this.

Thanks

Re: Problems with KDE login screen

anyone?

Comment

Not knowing exactly what changes you made, but based on the fact that you only just installed, so have not yet invested a lot of time making a lot of customizations, the fastest way to fix your problem is to remove the .kde directory (in your /home/username folder). Doing so, and then rebooting, will result in this user hidden directory being rebuilt with default values.

You will have to boot in to recovery mode from the Grub menu. If you don't see the Grub menu (because it is 'hidden'), then you need to press the Esc key after you see the initial BIOS boot screen (the screen that you see after powering on the PC) to get the Grub menu to show. Then select the second menu entry (recovery mode). You will be logged into a command line. From there, type:
      Code:
      rm -R .kde
      Note there is a period before kde above.

Then reboot by typing:
      Code:
      sudo shutdown -r now
      You should be able to login via the KDM Greeter without any problems.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hey, thanks for the reply

can't get a command line with the Esc way ... (at the first display Compaq menu (it's a C700) there is an option for recovery sys... but I don't think that it's what you're talking bout)

Any way, I can go for ctrl+alt+f2 and enter to the unix console (I guess it is)... isn't it the same to put that lines there?

Thanks man, really

Comment

Pressing Esc key doesn't get you a command line - it allows you to see the Grub menu (assuming it is hidden) so you can select the kernel to boot into. The second line in the menu is the recovery mode kernel that boots you into a command line. But, if ctrl+alt+f2 gets you to a terminal where you log in - you are prompted for your username and password - then yes, you can run the commands I've cited. MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE LOGGED IN AS YOUR USER - YOU SHOULD SEE A $ SIGN IN FRONT OF THE BLINKING UNDERLINE. IF YOU SEE A # SIGN INSTEAD, DO NOT RUN THE rm -R .kde COMMAND!!

Comment

I've seen that menu on fedora, but here, i've been pressing esc in many ways and can't get there

Well. At terminal, I just put the login and pass, and it shows "Last login: Sun May .... Welcome to Ubuntu 11.04 (GNU/Linux 2.6.38-8-generic i686)
            *Documentation:http....
            ncurrin@ncurrinC700:~$ "
            but nothing like SIGN IN

Can I put that lines here?

Thanks again, grettings.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

So, that throws "rm: cannot remove '.kde': No such file or directory"

Comment

We've assumed you are running Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal because you posted in it's board here. But now, I have to ask: What version of Kubuntu did you install? If you don't know, then at the prompt, type:
                  Code:
                  lsb_release -r -d -c
                  Copy what you see and tell us what it is in your reply.

If the command doesn't work, then type:
                  Code:
                  uname -r
                  and tell us what kernel version you are using.

Comment

lsb_release -r -d -c:

Description: Ubuntu 11.04
                    Release: 11.04
                    Codename: natty

uname -r:

2.6.38-8-generic

Thanks again

Comment

Okay. That confirms it - Natty 11.04. That means that you must have a .kde (hidden folder) in your user home directory.

Press Alt+F2 and type: konsole

This will launch Konsole. You will be in your user home directory. You can confirm that by typing: pwd
                      and pressing the enter key. You will be show the current directory you are in.

Then type: rm -R .kde
                      and press the enter key. Note that there is a period before kde. This WILL remove (delete) the .kde directory and all it's sub-folders/files. Then type: exit
                      and press the enter key to close the Konsole.

Now perform a normal Shutdown/Restart, which will close KDE/Kubunt, and reboot your PC. After you login via the KDM Greeter, the .kde directory will be rebuilt with system defaults.

Comment

Wait... When do I trigger alt+f2? on Terminal? on the stucked login screen? (well here don't do anything)

Anyway, I use alt+f2 on terminal, and it doesn't show anything

Then, typing konsole on temrinal:

unnamed app(1158): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server: "//bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization falied.
                        "
                        KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

pwd:

/home/ncurrin

And, the last time I noted the period... (and now it shows the same cannot remove '.kde':No such file or directory)

Grettings

Comment

Working...
                        X