This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Wifi won't restart after a log-out/in

Please be patient, I'm not a technical giant....

I have a Dell Inspiron 1564 laptop, with a Broadcom wifi card - a BCM4312. Before I installed Kubuntu 11.04, I had Ubuntu 10.10, onto which I had added KDE 4.6 (.2?). The wifi worked perfectly, with the Broadcom STA driver.

Now I have Kubuntu 11.04. Driver and Network manager are as supplied, and they work whenever I boot up the system. However, if I log-off/on (restart KDM?), wifi doesn't work.

Now, this isn't the end of the world - a restart just takes a bit longer than a log-off/on. But it worked before, so I'd like to solve this.

If anyone can help, I'll be grateful

Tx

Re: Wifi won't restart after a log-out/in

You posted this question a week ago on the Chakra website: http://chakra-project.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?pid=34368

And you found a step-wise procedure here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless

The advice given at Chakra would be the advice I'd give here. There is a menu option called:
    Kmenu --> System --> Hardware drivers. Use it to load the Broadcom STA driver.

If it doesn't show your system or automatically install b43-fwcutter then open your package manager (I hope you have synaptic installed (sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends synaptic))
    and locate it, then install it. If it isn't in your main then it will be in the restricted repostiory.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      You posted this question a week ago on the Chakra website: http://chakra-project.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?pid=34368

And you found a step-wise procedure here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless

The advice given at Chakra would be the advice I'd give here. There is a menu option called:
      Kmenu --> System --> Hardware drivers. Use it to load the Broadcom STA driver.

If it doesn't show your system or automatically install b43-fwcutter then open your package manager (I hope you have synaptic installed (sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends synaptic))
      and locate it, then install it. If it isn't in your main then it will be in the restricted repostiory.
      Thanks for the reply, GreyGeek.

The problem I had with Chakra was slightly different - the wifi connection was random and unpredictable. With Kubuntu, I have a reliable wifi connection (touch wood), unless I log out/in, which causes me to lose it. This makes me think it's something that happens (or doesn't happen) with log out/in, compared to restart, and not a problem with the driver.

Following your advice, I've checked my system and it shows that I'm running the STA driver at the moment.

I've re-read the thread you linked to. It's very comprehensive, and confirms I should be using the STA driver. Because of that, and because wifi works unless I log off, I'm loath to replace the STA with the B43 driver, as the author had to do. If I was still in the Chakra situation, with intermittent wifi, that'd be different, but as things stand at the moment, I'm merely inconvenienced.

Thanks for your advice, though. I appreciate the support.

Cheers

PS. Yes, I prefer Synaptics to KPackageKit as well

Comment

I believe your problem is related to this bug. Note a possible fix in response #5.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There was a similar bug in the beta and early releases of Kubuntu 11.04

Did you do all updates because that's what fixed it for me?

Comment

Well, I don't know what changed - I didn't do anything - but the problem has gone away. WiFi now works after a logoff/on, as well as after a restart.

*GreyGeek, thanks for the pointer. I was just on the point of following the advice..................

*Teunis, you may well be right. I'm current on all updates and while I don't remember a "Eureka" moment, something has changed over the last few days.

Thank you both for your interest, and help.

Cheers

Comment

ignore

Comment

Working...
              X