This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worked and now doesn't: USB mobile stick on Kubuntu 11.04

Hi, I am a beginner but try to state my problem clearly to you. I changed from Ubuntu 10.10 to Kubuntu 11.04. I purchased a T-mobile stick and it worked well. After 2 weeks of use it does not work. The Network Manager shows the mobile broadband stick and the connection and that I have a UMTS or HSDPA connection but no traffic. I cannot even open a webpage. I have pounded t-mobile for a solution but then I checked the stick on another laptop with Win7 and worked flawlessly. Then I reinstalled Ubuntu 10.10 and works beautifully. (This is how I am able to send this post right now.)
    Then I reinstalled Kubuntu 11.04 besides Ubuntu 10.10 but still the same. Works on Ubuntu 10.10 but not on Kubuntu 11.04. (Also, it did not work with Kubuntu 10.04 - I tried that too)
    I would like to ask for your help on what to do. I have only this internet possibility with Ubuntu 10.10 so I can download whatever is needed. I do not have other net access.
    I read some posts that seemed related but they were just too high for me as a beginner. I also had freezing screen when pulling out the stick, even if it was diconnected from the web.
    This is the 3rd day I am off work trying to handle this so I am a bit desperate to solve it.
    Any help a beginner could use?

Re: Worked and now doesn't: USB mobile stick on Kubuntu 11.04

Hi and welcome

I have taken a look around the 'net and have not been able to find a definitive fix for this problem.

From what you say it seems the most likely culprit is knetworkmanager (or more specifically the kubuntu implementation thereof.

It is interesting that it works in ubuntu 10.10 but not kubuntu 10.10. Have you tried installing kde to the ubuntu 10.10 installation? Easiest way is to open a terminal and type

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    It will be a sizeable download. During the process you will likely be asked whether you want to keep the Gnome Display Manager (GDM) or use KDE Display Manager (KDM). Elect to keep GDM for now.

Once installed logout and at the login prompt select KDE as a session type. Once you are in kde does your modem work?

If it does, it is quite possible that a component that your modem requires is installed by default with gnome but not with KDE. If you are now up and running with it you might want to leave things as they are or try upgrading to 11.04.

Comment

My Dear Friend,
      First of all, thank you for taking your time in helping me. I understood all what you wrote and did not have to fight myself through strange words, extension names, unknown command line words, etc. And it is really making sense what you write. (This is what I could figure as well. I hoped that someone might know what was missing specifically - however the most curious part is that why did it run for 2 weeks with Kubuntu 11.04 and then not anymore.)
      I definitely try out your suggestion and see how it works. I remember that once I tried KDE when I had Ubuntu 10.04 (when I left Windows and joined the Linux community) but I was so new I was not able to figure out all those settings. However recently I fell in love with Kubuntu and I would really like to use it.
      So let's say it works as you suggested. I download the KDE desktop and log-in with that and it would run well. You suggest that I go then to update manager and update/upgrade to Kubuntu 11.04? Would it work even if I am running Ubuntu 10.10 with the KDE desktop? Wouldn't it only let me to upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04? (This question might be stupid or showing how much I do not know but I had the idea Kubuntu is different in more aspects from Ubuntu, not just the desktop environment.)
      I also ask this as I have all the ISO CDs from Ubuntu 10.04 up to Ubuntu 11.04 as well as Kubuntu 10.04. and Kubuntu 11.04. But as the mobile stick with Kubuntu 11.04 only worked for 2 weeks and not at all after 3 times fully reinstalling from the ISO file you suggest to use the update manager and it might leave that unknown component from Ubuntu still intact. Is that what you are thinking?
      Best, IG88

Comment

You can also boot Kubuntu 10.10 as a LiveCD or LiveUSB and when it connects run
        lsmod
        in a Konsole and then examine the listing to see which module 10.10 runs. Then, in Kubuntu 11.04 you can use that module to see if it will work in 11.04.

Another possible reason for the problem is that the kernel used in Kubuntu 11.04 isn't (yet) compatible with the T-Mobil, If that is the case then a possibly easier fix is to install from the repository the kernel version that Kubuntu 10.10 used and then select that kernel when you boot up.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi, Thanks a lot. Unfortunately I do not understand as I do not know what "lsmod" run in a konsole is, and what is to be examined, how, and how do I see a modul, pinpoint it, etc, etc. This is above my level of knowing what to do and executing it. I find it unfortunate as it sounds good and sensible but I am not yet there. Unless it could be told more simple, in a more guided way. Sorry. Best, IG88

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            You can also boot Kubuntu 10.10 as a LiveCD or LiveUSB and when it connects run
            lsmod
            in a Konsole and then examine the listing to see which module 10.10 runs. Then, in Kubuntu 11.04 you can use that module to see if it will work in 11.04.

Another possible reason for the problem is that the kernel used in Kubuntu 11.04 isn't (yet) compatible with the T-Mobil, If that is the case then a possibly easier fix is to install from the repository the kernel version that Kubuntu 10.10 used and then select that kernel when you boot up.
            Hi GG

I think the main problem the OP is having is that it works with ubuntu but not with kubuntu. My guess was that the networkmanager works but that the knetworkmanager does not. Hence the suggestion that ubuntu with KDE might actually work for him.

@IG88 - what GG is saying is simply this. With your modem plugged in open a terminal (in KDE it's called konsole). Then simply type in the window

lsmod

Then hit return.

Copy the contents by highlighting/right click and select copy. Then open the kate text editor and paste the terminal contents into it.

For good measure type in

lsusb

Copy the output as above and paste it into a text file. Then come back and post the text files here.

HTH

Comment

Hi Again,

Thanks for the clarification. I understand it all again.

Here is what I did. I completely reinstalled 10.10 on the laptop. Mobile stick worked without fail.

I installed the KDE desktop as per your instructions, leaving the default to be GDM and not KDM.

Then I restarted and tried the stick. No go. Tried it two more times and same situation. What happens is as follows:
              The Network Manager sees the USB stick but using KDE does not even give a configuration option. In other words the Network Manager when you click on the small icon of it on the dashboard shows you a panel with two halves. One is "Interfaces" and the other is "Connections". The mobile stick appears under "Interfaces" but does not appear under "Connections". When I used Kubuntu 11.04 it appeared as well under "Connections" and when I clicked on it there then it opened the Manager and already had all the data of the stick automatically, I just needed to OK it and the connection was there. (Only it did no data traffic.) With the Ubuntu 10.10 and KDE it does not give such an option and when you click on it (the stick name) under "Connections" it only switches to show you the connection speed graph and other data.
              But when I plug in my cable net it shows up right away under both sides of the panel and connects and works in no time - under AutoEth0. (Note: I asked my friend to move over to his lab to use his net. I can use it now as it is 1:44 am and there is no office time.)

One more thing. When I switch back to the gnome desktop of Ubuntu 10.10 it all works with the stick beautifully again.

And finally, here is the outcome of using the Konsole.

lsmod gives this:
              Module Size Used by
              hso 30724 0
              binfmt_misc 6599 1
              parport_pc 26378 0
              ppdev 5556 0
              snd_hda_codec_realtek 218492 1
              joydev 8767 0
              snd_hda_intel 22299 2
              snd_hda_codec 87552 2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
              snd_hwdep 5040 1 snd_hda_codec
              snd_pcm 71603 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
              snd_seq_midi 4588 0
              rt2860sta 504703 0
              i915 296139 4
              snd_rawmidi 17783 1 snd_seq_midi
              arc4 1165 2
              drm_kms_helper 30200 1 i915
              snd_seq_midi_event 6047 1 snd_seq_midi
              drm 168732 4 i915,drm_kms_helper
              snd_seq 47174 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
              snd_timer 19067 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
              rt2800pci 8852 0
              rt2800lib 28961 1 rt2800pci
              snd_seq_device 5744 3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
              rt2x00usb 9779 1 rt2800lib
              rt2x00pci 6029 1 rt2800pci
              crc_ccitt 1351 2 rt2860sta,rt2800pci
              rt2x00lib 27339 4 rt2800pci,rt2800lib,rt2x00usb,rt2x00pci
              led_class 2633 1 rt2x00lib
              mac80211 231959 3 rt2x00usb,rt2x00pci,rt2x00lib
              uvcvideo 55847 0
              videodev 43098 1 uvcvideo
              v4l1_compat 13359 2 uvcvideo,videodev
              snd 49038 13 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec, snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,sn d_seq_device
              cfg80211 144694 2 rt2x00lib,mac80211
              i2c_algo_bit 5168 1 i915
              intel_agp 26926 2 i915
              eeprom_93cx6 1345 1 rt2800pci
              psmouse 59033 0
              serio_raw 4022 0
              soundcore 880 1 snd
              video 18712 1 i915
              agpgart 32075 2 drm,intel_agp
              snd_page_alloc 7216 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
              output 1883 1 video
              lp 7342 0
              parport 31492 3 parport_pc,ppdev,lp
              r8169 36777 0
              usb_storage 40236 0
              mii 4425 1 r8169

lsusb gives this:
              Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
              Bus 007 Device 005: ID 0af0:6971 Option Globetrotter HSDPA Modem
              Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
              Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
              Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
              Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
              Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
              Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 2.0 multicard reader
              Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
              Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05c8:0111 Cheng Uei Precision Industry Co., Ltd (Foxlink)
              Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I can see the Globetotter HSDPA Modem. This should be what I am using.
              The rest is mostly Chinese to me.

Still appreciating your help.

Bests, IG88

Comment

Ok, you are using the rt2860sta module.

Open a Konsole.
                Enter
                kdesudo kate /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Add to blacklist.conf file the following lines:
                blacklist rt2800pci
                blacklist rt2x00pci
                Save the file, close kate, close Konsole.
                Reboot.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Dear GG,

Thanks for your help. Now I understood it clearly and could follow it well.

Did what you wrote and after reboot no change. The Connections Panel (as I wrote on my last post) does not even give an option to configure/connect with the stick - does not even show it under "Connections", just under "Device". So I tried to add it as new Broadband connection (which on Ubuntu 11.04 was automatically done by the computer). It was accepted, the connection was shown but no data traffic. Could not open anything in a browser. So I tried and installed KNetworkManager, but same sit. There is no change.
                  I switched back to the Ubuntu 10.10 Gnome and works still splendidly.
                  Would you have any further suggestions?

Sincerely,
                  IG88

Comment

It's probably because 11.04 has a kernel regression which won't allow your chip to work yet. File a bug report if you know how.

Regardless, I'd stay with 10.10 if it works for you.

Comment

GG, Sorry, I have no idea of how to file a bug report. And one more thing: I understand what you say for Kubuntu 11.04. Would that same thought of yours about Kernel regression apply to Kubuntu 10.10 as well? Best? IG88

Comment

No.

You stated that 10.10 works well for you with your T-Mobil. My suggestion is to say with it. Linux is Linux.

Comment

Dear GG,

Thanks a lot for your help. I am now staying with Ubuntu 10.10 as you suggested. I am already downloading all the programs, etc again.

If I could ask for some more help on the followings it would be great to get these answered too so the same situation does not happen with me again.

So, I will not just upgrade anymore right at the time a new distro comes out. I will stay with 10.10 for now and plan to stay with it for longer. And this brings the first question: Will I run into problems from April 2012 when 10.10 will not be supported anymore? Or will I be fine and only miss security updates?

Second: What is your advise on Backups? I have several times backed up my Ubuntu 10.10 and also my Kubuntu versions. I used Simple Back-up. But somehow I could not fully restore. The restoration process always broke down with some notice about some TAR errors. And it only stored some files which I have anyway backed up separately. But I cannot get my downloaded programs, desktop settings, themes, fonts, extensions, add-ons, etc restored. Any advises on programs, actions, etc I should use?

Third: I have some documents with certain types of fonts when I used OpenOffice with Ubuntu 10.10. Since the upgrade (with what came Libre Office) and then the reinstalls due to my troubles with the mobile stick I cannot find these fonts. My Open Office had these earlier but I cannot find those files anymore (even though I have them still somewhere on the back-ups). Any advises on the proper handlings on this?

And as last, any other advises you would want to extend?

I dared to ask these as I am the first time on this community line and find it very very useful. Just from your recent answers I learned much.

Bests, IG88

Comment

Originally posted by IG88
                            Dear GG,

Thanks a lot for your help.
                            It's our pleasure here to help you!

So, I will not just upgrade anymore right at the time a new distro comes out. I will stay with 10.10 for now and plan to stay with it for longer. And this brings the first question: Will I run into problems from April 2012 when 10.10 will not be supported anymore? Or will I be fine and only miss security updates?
                            I doubt it. Most of the time such updates are "back ported". IF it is a kernel regression that prevents your T-Mobil from working with 11.04 and while running 10.10 the kernel is upgraded and T-Mobil stops working, it would be easy to make the previous kernel the default boot, or to remove the upgrade and pin the original kernel so it won't be upgraded until you unpin it.

Second: What is your advise on Backups?
                            My standard answer to how often to back up is a question: "How much do you want to re-enter or lose?"

How and what to back up is another question. I used to use scripts which ran weekly backups of EVERYTHING from "/" on down and daily backups of files with date changes. For personal computers I've come to the opinion that such a backup policy is overkill and a pain in the neck. EVERYTHING in Linux is a file. That includes what people commonly think of as files -- your letter, some data file, a batch file, an executable binary. But, everything in the /dev directory is viewed as and treated as a file as well. IF it doesn't exist as a file on an HD then Linux does not know about it. If you Linux system breaks irrecoverably (usually due to mechanical failure) it is a LOT easier to repair the hardware, reinstall the OS from a LiveCD, configure it and its devices, and then restore your personal data from reliable backup media than it is to run a tar restoration script. (But, I wrote such scripts if you want to have them)

I found it much easier and just as reliable to keep my data in a few directories in my home account, beginning with "~/Documents" and "~/working" and "~/Pictures", etc..., depending on the nature of the data. (My Qt development tools and project files I used to keep under "~/working"). When I want to back up my data I use three methods; 1) one or more USB sticks, or 2) RW DVD's, or an 3) external USB HD. Cheap write once/read only CDs and DVD are too unreliable as a medium to store important data, in my opinion. I've seen them fail in weeks and months, if not sooner. If I use DVDs I use high quality Re-writable DVDs to store data, each in their own jewel case. In my experience they retain their data much longer. I have CDs I burned a couple years ago which are no longer readable. Every RW-DVD with data on it, some almost 10 years old, still displays that data when browsed. External HDs are very quick and have capacity to make several different copies of your entire home account. My home account contains 60GB of files. My external USB HD is 320GB.

The cheap cassette data storage tapes (1/4 inch) and drivers are too slow and too unreliable for backup. I've seen clerks burn through a box of 5 of them in one setting because they gave write errors while trying to back up ... unless, of course, you want to shell out a LOT of money to buy the expensive tape equipment and expensive 1/2 inch high speed tapes.

So, to summarize, when I want to back up my KMyMoney file (after each reconcilliation) I copy the files to two different USB sticks. Every year I back them up to a RW-DVD. When I take important pictures and move them from my cameras to DigiKam I back up the ~/Pictures directory (8GB) I back it up to alternating 16GB USB sticks. Every once in a while I back up my home account to the USB HD. New files are added to the USB HD backup directory but I skip backing up existing files so the backup goes quickly because not all 60GB of data is written to the external HD.

Third: I have some documents with certain types of fonts when I used OpenOffice with Ubuntu 10.10. Since the upgrade (with what came Libre Office) and then the reinstalls due to my troubles with the mobile stick I cannot find these fonts. My Open Office had these earlier but I cannot find those files anymore (even though I have them still somewhere on the back-ups). Any advises on the proper handlings on this?
                            Probably you are missing ms-fonts. You can search in the repository using "ms-fonts" or just "fonts" and install everything you see (shotgun approach) for your language. You're bound to hit it and one can't have too many fonts.

As a rule I advise those new to Linux to ALWAYS AND ONLY install software that is in the repository. NEVER install a program from non-repository sources.

And as last, any other advises you would want to extend?
                            It's a dangerous thing to give an old teacher Carte blanche to lecture!

I'm sure you'll think of questions later and we'll be around to answer the best we can.

Comment

Dear GG,

Awesome. I really feel part of a group here, even though I only asked questions till now. And it is fine that you don't hold a lecture.

The back-up data you wrote is already giving me new knowledge. Some parts are a bit unknown to me yet but mostly okay. On the fonts I got it and it was the right thing to do what you said. I installed the ms-fonts just now.
                              So, a bit more re back-ups. I have a laptop with 320 GB and dual core and a 500 GB external hard drive. I love them and they are working well for me. My "electronic kids".
                              I am having separate back ups for all my documents, pictures, videos, music, etc. These I usually just handled by drag and drop from time to time from the computer to the ext hard drive.
                              I few times I did full back-ups but they are just useless for me - as you already stated. I just need to make sure that my system is backed-up from time to time as I download some new extensions, new programs, upgrade a program, etc.
                              What I can see I am too much in terra incognita about is the system of Linux. I understand all are files for Linux, and I find it great. But about the structure, where is saved what, what and how to order/command to be saved, etc I must be totally on a child's level. Therefore I ask - even if it is stupid - to make sure: Is it simply enough if I drag and drop my Home Folder Files (without the Pictures, Documents, etc) and my File System Files onto my Ext HD to have a full back-up off all my programs, settings, fonts, etc? And if I do a full reinstall from a CD then I would just drag and drop again the Home Folder Files and File System Files from my Ext HD (applying overwrite to anything conflicting) and I would be set and could continue from where I left without having to download again all the programs, add-ons, etc, etc ,etc?
                              Cheers, IG88

Comment

Working...
                              X