This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Networking issues.

BCM4311 -- A Broadcom wireless chip. Okay, there are post a-plenty here in KFN on Broadcom wireless issues, all of which are/were/can be resolved. Basically, you need to add support for it to the kernel (loading the correct module). If you'll 'stay tuned', those that have the experience with this 'issue' will post the solution you need to get you up and running on wireless.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Tanks for your help thus far.

Looking forward to resolving this issue.

Thanks again,
      TBD

Comment

See Broadcom BCM43* Wireless Setup in Kubuntu 11.04

Looks pretty straight forward. You can do it from the console:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends firmware-b43-installer bcmwl-kernel-source

Comment

pasted that code into the konsole and now the "Network Connections" screen in the KDE Control Module doesn't even wireless as an option ( the wireless tab is greyed out). Before I input that code the wireless tab was accessible.

did I do something wrong by inputting the supplied code?

Thanks,
          TBD

Comment

Per the webpage I cited, let's ensure that bcmwl-kernel-source is 'completely' reinstalled. In the console type:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source
            After this, go to System > Additional Drivers and see if the Broadcom driver is identified for use.

Comment

OK. The Additional Drivers dialog box shows the "Broadcom STA wireless driver" and says that the driver is activated and currently in use....BUT, the KDE network window still shows no wireless options available.

Sorry if I am being a pain,
              TBD

Comment

No need to be sorry. It's going to turn out to be something very simple, which are by their very nature, the most difficult!

Have you done a shutdown/reboot yet?

Comment

yes, rebooted after last code input.

Comment

I've emailed one our other Moderators. He has assisted others with Broadcom chipset issues, and he might have some insight that I do not. Likely he will drop in shortly and review what has been done so far, and provide his insight into the matter. So, as they say, 'stay tuned.'

Comment

I know I have said it quite a few times thus far, but thanks you much for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                      TBD

Comment

You are most welcome. As I said, it is likely to be something rather simple.

By the way, classy avatar. 8)

Comment

I just got Snowhog's email, but I cannot respond at this time. When Momma wants to do things no one is happy until Momma is happy, so I'll address this issue tomorrow... See ya all tomorrow!
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks Grey Geek, look forward to playing tag with you tomorrow.

TBD

Comment

I'm posting this link for GreyGeek's benefit. It's on Ubuntuforums and it addresses the BCM4311 driver in 11.04 (promising, yes?). The poster got his to work. I'm not suggesting that you follow the instructions the poster provided, at least, not until GreyGeek has an opportunity to review it and compare it to his own ideas on the matter.

However, as my avatar quote cites: "The answer is out there." (And I really believe that!)

Comment

I'm not GG but I do have a Broadcom chipset in my netbook that uses the same driver as OP's

The Broadcom STA driver in Hardware Drivers is preferred - as it's an easier install and a more stable driver. I'd try that one first.
                                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                                -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                                X