This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Networking issues.

Hi. I am new to linux/Ubuntu/Kubuntu, but I have recently installed Kubuntu 11.04 on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1501). As of now the only thing installed is the OS.

I have not been able to obtain a network connection of any type. It does not seem to be able to find my wireless modem, nor is it working when connected directly to the router.

The router is a Linksys WRT54G.

I could use help if anyone has any advice. Please keep in mind that i am VERY NEW to linux and may be unfamiliar with terms relating only to linux.

Thanks,
    TBD

Re: Networking issues.

Originally posted by thebigdawg
    ...nor is it working when connected directly to the router.

The router is a Linksys WRT54G.
    That you can't get a network connection with a wired connection to your router is disturbing. I have the Linux version (firmware) of the same router. When wired to it, you should get an Internet connection when you boot. Did you install Natty while connected to the router?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

No I installed from an alternate CD downloaded from the Kubuntu site. For whatever reason the install GUI would not work on my laptop and I had to install via the alternate, with no connectios other than a power cord.

Comment

Since installing, have you connected to the router and then did a system restart?

Comment

I had restarted multiple times since install. But for posterity's sake I did it again, making sure network cable was firmly connected to both the router and laptop. Unfortunately still no connection.

At a complete loss at this point

Thanks,
          TBD

Comment

Have you verified that the routers settings are all correct? Your router has to have the DHCP Server checked.

Comment

Router set to "Auto - DHCP". Same router I am using for this connection, yet the laptop does not even "see" a connection, wired or wireless. (wireless is my ultimate destination, just figured wired needed to work first.)

Thanks again for any help with this problem,
              TBD

Comment

Open a console and then type:
                Code:
                sudo service network-manager stop
                sudo rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
                sudo service network-manager start
                Then launch your browser and see if it doesn't connect to the Internet.

Comment

something you said earlier caught my interest. So I re-installed Kubuntu with the network cable plugged in...SUCCESS.

Now I can get online with it wired, but, still no joy in the wireless dept.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,TBD

Comment

Need to know what wireless chip you have in your laptop. Open a console and type:
                    Code:
                    lspci | grep ireless

Comment

when I type in what you posted (I assumed it was supposed to be wireless, but typed it with and without the "w") all it did was give me another command line to type on, nothing else.

Comment

Copy and paste what I showed. You likely were typeing a lowercase L instead of the 'pipe' symbol.

Comment

cannot paste to console for whatever reason, but I am typing it with the pipe symbol above the "enter" button. But it still sends me straight back to a command prompt, no further info.

Comment

From within a console, you have to use either, the Menu bar (Edit > Paste) or use the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+V. However, you can also just type:
                            Code:
                            lspci
                            and press Enter. You'll get the complete lspci listing. Look for the entry for Wireless.

Comment

I must not be accessing the console correctly as I have no menus, but when typing lspci only I found that my wireless card is the BCM4311.

Comment

Working...
                              X