This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanner Reccomendation

I am looking to purchase a scanner for general document scanning purposes and also to scan in pictures, slides, negatives, etc. At the moment I am leaning toward the Epson Perfection V600; however, the scanners I am looking at (including the Epson) do not have drivers and/or utilities to support Linux (and specifically Kubuntu/Ubuntu).

Would anyone have a recommendation based on the experience?

Thanks in Advance!

Re: Scanner Reccomendation

I, personally, have tried a lot of different scanners with a lot of varying results.

The one scanner that always works is any of the more "standard" of the HP products.

I presently have the HP multifunction 300 and 1250 scanner printers and I have always that HP scanners always do a marvellous job and, for many distros, including Kubu, are found automatically.

However that does not always work with the latest and greatest.

And the latest and greatest multifunctions now have the "chip" in them which will not allow refilling the ink cartridge.

If you have a very specific need for a very high density scan you might check the hardware compatibility list( of which I am sure you are aware) for Linux to make sure there are drivers.

And for folks who are not aware of the HCL, I provide a linky:

OOOPS...wrong linky! correct linky provided now.

http://linuxhcl.com/

Comment

woodsmoke,

Thanks for the reply. The Perfection V600 is listed in the Ubuntu HCL under version 10.04, just did not want to make an expensive $200 purchase to find out it does not work under 11.04 (Kubu).

Typically I prefer the HP solutions due to their widespread support; however, HP does not make a decent (IMHO) photo scanner that can also do slides and negatives. Long long ago and far far away I had an Epson all-in-one that did slides and negatives, but can't seem to find anything in that market today.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by wifi rocks
        I am looking to purchase a scanner for general document scanning purposes and also to scan in pictures, slides, negatives, etc. At the moment I am leaning toward the Epson Perfection V600; however, the scanners I am looking at (including the Epson) do not have drivers and/or utilities to support Linux (and specifically Kubuntu/Ubuntu).

Would anyone have a recommendation based on the experience?
        Hi...

If I remember correctly, a friend of mine has a HP Scanjet 3900 series that was made to handle photos (and, I believe, slides and negatives as well.) This scanner, although an older one, should have drivers for it included with the distribution but if not, you can find the backend for it here.

You might be able to find one for sale through Google. Just be sure to double check my information because I am not totally sure on the details.

Regards...
        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I have an V600 and it's well supported under Linux.
          Presently I run it under 11.04 and 11.10.
          After tonight's updates it does not run under 10.10.

I mainly use it to scan negatives and slides and am very happy with the results. 8)
          There are free Linux drivers to be found at:
          http://avasys.jp/eng/

To get the most out of this scanner I've also bought a licence for VueScan by Hamrick Software:
          http://www.hamrick.com/
          I must admit the included Windows software looks better but the results are comparable.

I used to have a Canon 8400F but the lamp in the lid failed and cannot be replaced.
          The main disadvantage was it does in typical Canon fashion have no Linux support.
          Although reviews call it an excellent scanner I can now state the V600 is better.

Further update:
          Vuescan requires sane and the avasys iscan drivers to work.
          Xsane crashes when I try to make a preview or direct scan.
          Vuescan locks up on start up with a message
          Yet I can use the scanner via the KDE Aquire Images utility and via the avasys ImageScan ! for Linux program.

Comment

I've been happily using Brother Multi-function devices (scan/fax/print) with Kubuntu for some time. I personally like MFC (multi-function centers) over plain scanners.

Brother has Linux drivers, and many are already included with CUPS.

I described what I do with my Brother 7820N (laser) here:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/MFC-7820N

To me, the automatic sheet feeder is critical, critical, critical. Never get a scanner without an automatic document feeder.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
            and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

I'll second Perspectoff.

I had a Brother multifunction quite a while ago when installing the drivers was directly from the manufacturer and, while not a hassle, were tedious.

Great printer, slow but great, scanning was fine also.

I donated the thing to a fellow forum member, even shipped it halfway across the country, and after all that he still gets great results, so again I'll second Perspectoff.

woodsmoke

Comment

In 20 years of using Linux, I have yet to find an HP product that doesn't work. My current printer is an HP Deskjet F4100, which is an all-in-one, and all of its functions work perfectly with Kubuntu. I did virtually nothing to get it set up--I just plugged it in, went to printer settings on the computer it's connected to, and walked through adding/testing it. I didn't need to hunt down any drivers or anything else--it just worked!
                Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Hi DYK

Could you discuss the "chip in the cartridge" situation with your printer? Can you use refills?

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
                    Hi DYK

Could you discuss the "chip in the cartridge" situation with your printer? Can you use refills?
                    Honestly, I've never tried. For a SHORT time back before I had my current printer I tried doing the refill thing...and invariably ended up making a mess. (And I'm a REALLY neat, careful person!) I decided that it simply wasn't worth the little bit of money saved, so now I just buy new cartridges, pop them in, and get back to printing.
                    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
                    X