Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations of a good home inkjet printer (not from HP)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations of a good home inkjet printer (not from HP)?

Hello! My HP printer (a PhotoSmart c4180) is again complaining about a bad black cartridge. This is the third time I've changed that one before emptying it, and I'm inclined to think that the printer is starting to fail. It's about 6 years old.

The HP works well with KUbuntu, except when printing photos: there was a visible difference in quality between the same photo printed on Windows and Linux, and even HP Unix driver support acknowledged at the time that its Linux driver was not on par on photo quality at the time. I have not tried recently, giving the cost of ink and photo paper, I'm not willing to spend any more on experiments.

As usual, given the cost of the cartridge I'm considering getting another device instead. Anyone has experiences with other models/brands in the same segment (home lightweight printing and scanning, occasional photo printing) that work well with Linux?

Another requirement: no paper feeds from the back of the printer, I want to put the printer under the monitor stand, flushed to the wall, so I cannot put paper in a tray that is in the back of the device.

Re: Recommendations of a good home inkjet printer (not from HP)?

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8000 wireless that prints great, and HP claims that for black it is cheaper to operate than a laser. I doubt this because if you use the black cartridge a lot it runs out pretty quick. But I also have a Brother HL2170W laser, also wireless, that is set as my default printer and it does most of my black only work. Cartridges last a long time and it is a very good and fast printer. I have used several different inkjet printers over the years, and the constant replacement of the black cartridges, regardless of the brand or model, is what caused me to get a laser for that.

Comment

Re: Recommendations of a good home inkjet printer (not from HP)?

If you're just looking for black only and cheap to operate, I recommend the Samsung ML-25XX series like this one. ML-2525

Costs less than $60, toner $40 for 1500 pages. We use the heck out of ours (ML-2510, 3 years old) with no issues.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X