This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] I don't have sound, amd graphics drivers not working

I am just tired with installing kubuntu trouble I've been having for days. 1st it was impossible to find a good guide to manual partitioning for my dual boot. I had to clean install on 2nd drive, c what the partitions were and then uninstall and manually do the partitions in my windows drive...all because the guides I found were crappy and plain wrong. Now, I need drivers I can't find and the ones I do are not working....

Anyway, I have X58 chipset, gigabyte motherboard (GA-X58A-UD3R) and a sapphire ati 6970 graphics card.

I installed kubuntu 11.04 without the downloading and updating while installing options. I also haven't done any updates. 1st thing I did was download the linux driver for ati radeon hd 6xxx series from ati website. Then I followed the instuction on their manual to install it. I didn't choose to create a package for my distribution, but to automatically install(figured it was fine as long as I don't have opensuse or redhat or sth else...). The install completed succesfully and I rebooted. The resolution seems much higher now, but there still is black space between the edge of the desktom and the edge of the screen, all around the desktop. I searched for amd in the search panel and 2 ati control center came out. 1 had the (EDIT: adminitrative) thing beside it. The normal one opens fine, but doesn't let me access some features. The administrative requires a password; a small white screen opens, I type my password and press enter and nothing happens, the small white box just dissapears and no programs open from there...

As for the motherboard, I have no sound(to be fair, I have sound when I connect my headphones to the front panel jack) and although I have an hdmi cable connecting to my tv monitor to the graphics card, I can't help but think this must be because of the lack of motherboard drivers. I searched gigabyte site only to find they have no linux drivers and I had to search for chipset linux drivers. So I headed over to intel, where all drivers are for windows.....now what?

Re: X58 chipset drivers needed(I don't have sound), amd graphics drivers not working

Check the FAQs link in my signature -- dual booting is #4, partitioning is #5, and audio troubleshooting is #6. First question about audio is, what is the audio chip?

Code:
    lspci -vv
    in a konsole window will answer that.

BTW, my mainboard is an Asus P6X58D-E, so the X58 chipset itself is no problem.

Comment

Re: X58 chipset drivers needed(I don't have sound), amd graphics drivers not working

Thanks for the fast response and the awesome faq mate. U sure know ur stuff and I'm happy u chose to help me and every1 else with that really awesome faq. Searching for solutions to my ubuntu, kubuntu and open suse problems has made me really appreciate all the hard work u and others must have put into helping every1. After all, it's not like I paid for this OS...

Regarding partitioning and installing, I have already finished with that. I have made partitions through kubuntu installer and not gedit. From my 1 tera hard disc, I have windows installed in 900 giga, and the rest goes to kubuntu. Out of that I made a 12 giga swap partition and the rest a "/" ext4 root partition. I also mounted the big ntfs partition in "/windows". Does this sound ok? I guess it is, since it works, huh? This setup couldn't be causing the rest of my problems, could it?

In my previous installation I had done the same and then installed updates. Then I searched for ati driver in additional drivers, but that was just a driver with extra stuff for 3d or sth. Then I downloaded a driver from ati website. I tried to install the driver by choosing the create a package for your build option. It merely created an empty folder and although the command line program should have terminated, it kept asking me stuff about installation, while the ati guide said that you should run the new package after the program closes. So I used ctrl+z to terminate it and then could do nothing with the empty folder...The ati guide then said that I should install the new package from my package manager, if I don't manage to do it through terminal. That I tried to do, but package manager only searches online for new packages, or at least that's how I only know it. At that point I tried to install this time with the auto install option, but a message popped up that I had previous drivers installed I should uninstall 1st. Strange, seeing how the previous installation made a package I couldn't install (or find for that matter) after all. So I uninstalled all things amd from the package manager and rerun the ati installer, which was still telling me about some other driver I should remove 1st...so I used the --force option the guide said I shouldn't. The installer finished and then I rebooted. After restart, I got a full screen terminal every time, I tried system file and other recovery mode stuff, nothing worked. So I reinstalled kubuntu. All that stuff btw and more was just what I did today for this ordeal XD
      After reinstall, I just downloaded and installed the ati driver with the auto option and now it reboots normally, but has the results I mentioned in my previous post. I didn't use, however, the line of code you mention I should do 1st in part 1 of #2.c of ur faq. That may explain y the administrative catalyst center can't start up.

As for the sound, I typed what u said and a wall of text popped out, out of which I don't know how to make out my chip:
      Code:
      00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub to ESI Port (rev 13)
          Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device 5000
          Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
          Capabilities: <access denied>

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 13) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
          Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
          Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
          Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
          I/O behind bridge: 0000a000-0000afff
          Memory behind bridge: fba00000-fbafffff
          Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000dff00000-00000000dfffffff
          Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- <SERR- <PERR-
          BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
              PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-
          Kernel driver in use: pcieport
          Kernel modules: shpchp

00:02.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 13) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
          Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=0
          Memory behind bridge: fb800000-fb8fffff
          Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-

00:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev 13) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
          Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Bus: primary=00, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=0
          I/O behind bridge: 0000b000-0000bfff
          Memory behind bridge: fbe00000-fbefffff
          Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000e0000000-00000000efffffff
          Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- <SERR- <PERR-
          BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA+ MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-

00:10.0 PIC: Intel Corporation 5520/5500/X58 Physical and Link Layer Registers Port 0 (rev 13) (prog-if 00 [8259])
          Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-

00:10.1 PIC: Intel Corporation 5520/5500/X58 Routing and Protocol Layer Registers Port 0 (rev 13) (prog-if 00 [8259])
          Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

00:11.0 PIC: Intel Corporation 5520/5500 Physical and Link Layer Registers Port 1 (rev 13) (prog-if 00 [8259])

00:11.1 PIC: Intel Corporation 5520/5500 Routing & Protocol Layer Register Port 1 (rev 13) (prog-if 00 [8259])
          Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

00:13.0 PIC: Intel Corporation 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub I/OxAPIC Interrupt Controller (rev 13) (prog-if 20 [IO(X)-APIC])
          Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Region 0: Memory at fbfff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

00:14.0 PIC: Intel Corporation 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub System Management Registers (rev 13) (prog-if 00 [8259])
          Kernel driver in use: i7core_edac
          Kernel modules: i7core_edac

00:14.1 PIC: Intel Corporation 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub GPIO and Scratch Pad Registers (rev 13) (prog-if 00 [8259])
          Kernel modules: mce-xeon75xx

00:14.2 PIC: Intel Corporation 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub Control Status and RAS Registers (rev 13) (prog-if 00 [8259])

00:15.0 PIC: Intel Corporation 5520/5500/X58 Trusted Execution Technology Registers (rev 13) (prog-if 20 [IO(X)-APIC])

00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
          Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-EP45-DS5 Motherboard
          Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
          Latency: 0
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
          Region 4: I/O ports at ff00 [size=32]
          Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd

00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
          Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
          Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 21
          Region 4: I/O ports at fe00 [size=32]

00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
          Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 18
          Region 4: I/O ports at fd00 [size=32]

00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
          Region 0: Memory at fbffe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
          Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
          Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 54
          Region 0: Memory at fbff8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
          Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
          Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Root Port 1 (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
          Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
          Bus: primary=00, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=0
          I/O behind bridge: 00001000-00001fff
          Memory behind bridge: f0000000-f01fffff
          Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000f0200000-00000000f03fffff

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
          Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
          Bus: primary=00, secondary=05, subordinate=05, sec-latency=0
          I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
          Memory behind bridge: fbd00000-fbdfffff
          Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000f0400000-00000000f05fffff

00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Root Port 4 (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
          Bus: primary=00, secondary=06, subordinate=06, sec-latency=0
          I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
          Memory behind bridge: fbc00000-fbcfffff
          Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000f0600000-00000000f07fffff

00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Root Port 5 (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
          Bus: primary=00, secondary=07, subordinate=07, sec-latency=0
          I/O behind bridge: 0000c000-0000cfff
          Memory behind bridge: f0800000-f0bfffff
          Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000fbb00000-00000000fbbfffff

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 23
          Region 4: I/O ports at fc00 [size=32]

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
          Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 19
          Region 4: I/O ports at fb00 [size=32]

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
          Region 4: I/O ports at fa00 [size=32]

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 23
          Region 0: Memory at fbffd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
          Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 90) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
          Bus: primary=00, secondary=08, subordinate=08, sec-latency=32
          Memory behind bridge: fb900000-fb9fffff
          Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JIR (ICH10R) LPC Interface Controller
          Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
          Kernel modules: iTCO_wdt

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 4 port SATA IDE Controller #1 (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
          Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device b002
          Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
          Region 0: I/O ports at 01f0 [size=8]
          Region 1: I/O ports at 03f4 [size=1]
          Region 2: I/O ports at 0170 [size=8]
          Region 3: I/O ports at 0374 [size=1]
          Region 4: I/O ports at f900 [size=16]
          Region 5: I/O ports at f800 [size=16]
          Kernel driver in use: ata_piix

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SMBus Controller
          Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
          Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 7
          Region 0: Memory at fbffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
          Region 4: I/O ports at 0500 [size=32]
          Kernel modules: i2c-i801

00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller #2 (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
          Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device b002
          Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
          Region 0: I/O ports at f600 [size=8]
          Region 1: I/O ports at f500 [size=4]
          Region 2: I/O ports at f400 [size=8]
          Region 3: I/O ports at f300 [size=4]
          Region 4: I/O ports at f200 [size=16]
          Region 5: I/O ports at f100 [size=16]
          Kernel driver in use: ata_piix

01:00.0 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 91a3 (rev 11) (prog-if 8f [Master SecP SecO PriP PriO])
          Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device b000
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 44
          Region 0: I/O ports at af00 [size=8]
          Region 1: I/O ports at ae00 [size=4]
          Region 2: I/O ports at ad00 [size=8]
          Region 3: I/O ports at ac00 [size=4]
          Region 4: I/O ports at ab00 [size=16]
          Region 5: Memory at fbaff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
          [virtual] Expansion ROM at dff00000 [disabled] [size=64K]
          Kernel driver in use: ahci
          Kernel modules: ahci

02:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
          Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device 5007
          Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
          Region 0: Memory at fb8fe000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
          Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
          Kernel modules: xhci-hcd

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Cayman XT [AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
          Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Device 0b00
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
          Region 0: Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
          Region 2: Memory at fbec0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
          Region 4: I/O ports at be00 [size=256]
          [virtual] Expansion ROM at fbe00000 [disabled] [size=128K]

03:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device aa80
          Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Device aa80
          Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 55
          Region 0: Memory at fbefc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

05:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
          Region 5: Memory at fbdfe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]

05:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
          Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 18
          Region 0: I/O ports at ef00 [size=8]
          Region 1: I/O ports at ee00 [size=4]
          Region 2: I/O ports at ed00 [size=8]
          Region 3: I/O ports at ec00 [size=4]
          Region 4: I/O ports at eb00 [size=16]
          Kernel driver in use: pata_jmicron
          Kernel modules: pata_jmicron

06:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 Serial ATA Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19
          Region 5: Memory at fbcfe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]

06:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 Serial ATA Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
          Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 16
          Region 0: I/O ports at df00 [size=8]
          Region 1: I/O ports at de00 [size=4]
          Region 2: I/O ports at dd00 [size=8]
          Region 3: I/O ports at dc00 [size=4]
          Region 4: I/O ports at db00 [size=16]
          Kernel driver in use: pata_jmicron
          Kernel modules: pata_jmicron

07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 45
          Region 0: I/O ports at ce00 [size=256]
          Region 2: Memory at fbbff000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
          Region 4: Memory at fbbf8000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
          Kernel driver in use: r8169
          Kernel modules: r8169

08:06.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
          Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
          Latency: 32 (500ns min, 1000ns max), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
          Region 0: Memory at fb9ff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
          Region 1: Memory at fb9f8000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
          Kernel driver in use: firewire_ohci
          Kernel modules: firewire-ohci
      I will follow the classic guide and the intel guide from ur faq for this matter and post again. But before I actually do anything, what should I do about that line of code I didn't use? Right now I have installed no updates, no third party software and no additional drivers, only the download ati driver with the auto install option. Should I reinstall ubuntu and do that line and then just additional drivers? If yes, would it be ok to let the installation install and update while installing third party software?

EDIT: I followed the classic guide. aplay -l command shows stuff, so I just did the alsamixer, unmuted and gave volume to everything, still no sound. Classic guide doesn't say what to do if this happens. I will now c the intel guide for more help.
      As for the graphics, I noticed that when I drag my windows the go really slowly and lagy, as if I am runing 3 crisis games at the same time XD

Comment

Originally posted by Zafos

Does this sound ok? I guess it is, since it works, huh? This setup couldn't be causing the rest of my problems, could it?
        Well, you wasted a bit of space in the huge swap partition, unless you are going to do something horribly memory-intensive. Probably 2GB would have been plenty, but no harm was done.

03:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device aa80
        Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Device aa80
        Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 55
        Region 0: Memory at fbefc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        There's the answer on your audio chip. So, the question is, do you need to add an option in /etc/modules? I don't know that motherboard -- I'd search on Ubuntu forums where there are more users posting. Also better check on the ALSA project web site -- see if you can find that ATI aa80 and make sure snd-hda-intel is the right driver for it, or that ALSA has a driver for it.

That's all I can advise for now.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

Does this sound ok? I guess it is, since it works, huh? This setup couldn't be causing the rest of my problems, could it?
          Well, you wasted a bit of space in the huge swap partition, unless you are going to do something horribly memory-intensive. Probably 2GB would have been plenty, but no harm was done.
          I read on a guide somewhere that u should make space of twice ur ram to be perfectly sure, if u wish to do memory intensive stuff, like u said. Idk if I will, but I have the space, so it's no problem.

There's the answer on your audio chip. So, the question is, do you need to add an option in /etc/modules? I don't know that motherboard -- I'd search on Ubuntu forums where there are more users posting. Also better check on the ALSA project web site -- see if you can find that ATI aa80 and make sure snd-hda-intel is the right driver for it, or that ALSA has a driver for it.
          So, I have to search for a bunch of stuff I know nothing about. I predict at least 2 hours of handling just this, so I'll leave it for tommorrow :P

That's all I can advise for now.
          I hope that means u will give this further thought at another time, because I really need ur input. It would save me hours of googling and reinstalling kubuntu XD
          U know my main points and questions are the bold parts. Watch out for the edits, too. If u have the time, it would be great reading through it all though(I know, my posts are huge, sry XD).

EDIT: I reinstalled kubuntu after all and now am going to do the line of code I missed 1st. Also, forgot to mention I was getting an error code in my previous installation(prolly due to faulty catalyst center installation) when I closed the pc. I was getting a plasma sth crashed error and my eye caught into the bottom of that window the oh so frightening 2 words for any programmer: segmentation fault.

Comment

Ok, I did this, like I sai in my previous post:

Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
            As stated in the 2.c part of the faq. Then I downloaded and installed the ati driver from the website. Again, catalyst center(administrative) won't load, like before...at least this time, windows ar draged normally. W8W8W8 just a minute! I managed to take a look at sth that appears for a split second in the white box I must enetr the password in, before that box closes. It says aythentication failure! But I am positive I am entering my password! What's up with that

Also installed those additional drivers, nothing changed...

EDIT: I found on the net how to open catalyst from terminal and I did it with sudo:

Code:
            sudo amdcccle
            This way I fixed the scaling and now graphics are ok. But y can't I open catalyst center from it's damn icon?? Anyway, now sound remains.

Comment

I followed this guide, which led me nowhere:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

I will follow another guide and search alsa website, but prolly I won't do it anytime soon. In the meantime, any input on my problem will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

any input on my problem will be greatly appreciated.
                When you checked the ALSA Project web site, and checked ATI devices, you should have seen this:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...rix:Vendor-ATI

Unfortunately, I see no sign of your aa80 device. So, I googled "ati aa80 linux driver", and about 5 or 6 hits down the list I found this (also this page shows the very handy alsa-info inquiry script at the top):

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...uestion/150970

If you look down in the output of the script, you find this:

!!Modprobe options (Sound related)
                !!--------------------------------

snd-atiixp-modem: index=-2
                snd-intel8x0m: index=-2
                snd-via82xx-modem: index=-2
                snd-usb-audio: index=-2
                snd-usb-caiaq: index=-2
                snd-usb-ua101: index=-2
                snd-usb-us122l: index=-2
                snd-usb-usx2y: index=-2
                snd-cmipci: mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
                snd-pcsp: index=-2
                No guarantee, & no charge.

Comment

Wow man, thx Fast response and ur help is speeding things up very fast! Because I don't unserstand jack about alsa and stuff, I would have to follow the guides in ur faq 1st and then understand some more things before I would searfch for the stuff u did! U saved me many hours mate, thanks!

For example, the guide I mentioned said about searching my sound device with a different command, which returned: Realtek ALC889
                  Following the instructions I couldn't manage anything, but maybe I can find sth working from this angle? I googled for linux drivers for this, but I only found ppl with the same problem as me, apparently there is a linux driver for this that isn't working properly on latest kernels...anyway

Unfortunately, I see no sign of your aa80 device. So, I googled "ati aa80 linux driver", and about 5 or 6 hits down the list I found this (also this page shows the very handy alsa-info inquiry script at the top):
                  Is this the script u mention?:

Code:
                  wget -O alsa-info.sh [url]http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh[/url]
                  Should I run it?

If you look down in the output of the script, you find this:

!!Modprobe options (Sound related)
                  !!--------------------------------

No guarantee, & no charge.
                  So what do I do exactly? Insert these lines at the end of the file opened with this command?:

Code:
                  sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Comment

No.

Press Alt-F2 and enter "kdesudo kate" with no quote marks. Give your password when prompted. Click "File > Open" and browse to the root filesystem, to this file:

/etc/modules

and open it. You will see something like this:

Code:
                    # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
                    #
                    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
                    # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
                    # Parameters can be specified after the module name.
                    You are going to copy and paste the list of modules that I found onto the end of this file, and you are going to add a carriage return at the end, so it looks like this

Code:
                    # Parameters can be specified after the module name.
                    Save it, and exit kate.

Then you need to reboot your computer for the new modules to take effect. Then test your sound.

Comment

Didn't work. The file already had 2 lines in it though, so it's now like this:

Code:
                      # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
                      #

lp
                      rtc

Comment

Ok, big news!
                        I was searching for the line to add to the alsa-base.conf file.
                        I found 2 potential candidates, but tested them to no avail. Really, they don't seem to match my system either. I used this database:
                        http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentat...dio-Models.txt

I found it in a guide in the faq in dibl's signature. There isn't anything in there that matches my system, is there? Cause I have little idea on what would.

As I was messing around, reloading alsa, restarting and such, I tried to test sound with another way. I went to manage notifications and tested a system sound. To my surprise, the sound came out of my monitor's speakers! It was accompanied by a message box, saying that the channel is temporally changed to hdmi or sth. Everytime I tested the sound that box popped out. No music, however, could be heard. I don't remember whether I had my headphones in or not at the time and I pressed accidentally "revert to the previous channel" on the box and then no sounds would come out. But when I tried to close ktorrent the sound from the message box asking me if I was sure worked as well. The kmixer playback channel though was the hdmi one, so I wonder y it wouldn't work.

Now, I am at a point where I can hear everything through my headphones and nothing through my monitor's speakers and no line added in the alsa file.

I right clicked to close ktorrent again and try and generate a system sound 1 more time, but I accidentally pressed a button that took all the little icons in the bottom right of the screen away. How do I get that back? When I try to open kmixer from its icon through the kmenu, it doesn't open! Only the bar is shown at the task manager for a while, showing it trying to open and then nothing. All this is very strange stuff...

EDIT: For some reason, when I tried to modify this post throught kubuntu and try to load whatever kubunti forums pafe in general, it was going very very slow and wouldn't load in the end...what is that all of a sudden? Is it worth starting a new thread over this?

Comment

All this is very strange stuff...
                          We call that "learning" ....

In systemsettings > multimedia, if you choose "Phonon" and then highlight the/a Output Device in the right-hand panel, there is a "Test" button that you can click at the bottom edge of the window. That's a quick way to determine whether your sound output is working. On my system, the only "Output Device" that shows is "Pulseaudio Sound Server". If the test indicates your output device is working, then that would suggest some issue with your music player, as opposed to a driver or ALSA issue.

Comment

All this is very strange stuff...
                            We call that "learning" ....
                            Ah, so that was what this tingling sensation was all about XD Ok then, so I need to learn, among others:

Why are my kubuntu browsers loading kubuntu forums really slow all of a sudden? EDIT: Rekong is now fine. Could be the number of open tabs, but I know my pc is up to the task...

EDIT: Found the answer to the 2 questions that were here, learning is fun

Should I open a new thread for any of this question?

In systemsettings > multimedia, if you choose "Phonon" and then highlight the/a Output Device in the right-hand panel, there is a "Test" button that you can click at the bottom edge of the window. That's a quick way to determine whether your sound output is working. On my system, the only "Output Device" that shows is "Pulseaudio Sound Server". If the test indicates your output device is working, then that would suggest some issue with your music player, as opposed to a driver or ALSA issue.
                            I have 2 devices in audio output:

Internal Audio Analog Stereo
                            HD-Audio Generic Digital Stereo (HDMI)

I think the right 1 is the HDMI, because I connect my monitor to my pc with an hdmi cable.
                            When I test sound with headphones, both devices output to headphones successfully. When I do it without headphones, both fail.

EDIT: I understand the order show priority. I tried to prioritise hdmi, but no changes. Changed it back to default priority.
                            EDIT: I reopened phonon just now and I only had "PulseAudio Sound Server" like u! What gives?? Btw, this looks like a page, while the other 2 looked like circuits. No changes while testing sound though.

Comment

OMG OMG OMG

I just solved it! I am listening to a stream from amarok as I'm writing this(btw, cool stream is an appropriate name for all that stuff it has).

I had totally given up. Out of the blue, I had an epiphany and I googled for "gigabyte kubuntu sound", just for kicks.
                              1st link(that's right, the solution was in the very 1st link!!!) led to a forum of some1 having the same problem as me with a different gigabyte card and kubuntu 10.4. He referred to this thread, which totally did it for me!:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...68&postcount=4

I'm so excited about this! Finally everything worked out!

Thank u every1 for helping and by every1, I mean dibl

Comment

Working...
                              X