X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "wizard" question

Originally posted by wizard10000
    I also ran OS/2 before Win95. I thought it was exceptionally cool that I could get up to 736k of memory available in a command prompt window. It didn't dawn on me until much later that no DOS application can address more than 640k of conventional memory
    640k was an unheard of amount of memory for an application to require back then.

i have a copy of OS/2 around my house never been used,. its got a few books and a bunch of floppys..
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

The reason I ran OS/2 was that I ran a two-node PCBoard BBS back in the day - starting at a fairly speedy 9600 baud and then upgrading to lightning-fast 14.4k modems

Multitasking under Windows 3.1 was awful at best - most of the serious board operators ran Desqview on a dedicated PC for multinode boards but I didn't have a dedicated PC for the BBS so I ran it under OS/2. Worked great.

My friend Warren ran a four-node Wildcat board on an old 386DX with (I think) 4mb RAM. It took much tweaking to get the thing to run stable but it worked.
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

The first web page I ever viewed was with the browser that came with OS/2. That was about 1992 or 1993, on a 486-33, with a 9600 baud modem and AOL dial-up internet service. What an eye-opener -- to sit here in Dayton, Ohio, and look at information running on a server in Australia! I held back from letting go of OS/2, until after Win 95 kind of scorched the earth for other OS's. Anyone who ran OS/2 could see clearly the origins of Win 95, including the original default desktop color.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          ...Anyone who ran OS/2 could see clearly the origins of Win 95, including the original default desktop color.
          I'd never noticed that before - mainly because I think I only keep a default desktop for about four seconds after install but now that you mention it that's gotta be more than coincidence.

I loved Warp. OS/2, Linux and NT 4.0 really impressed me - Windows 2000 almost as much since it was clean code.
          -- anais nin

Comment

meh now you guys are making me want to install it in a vm. Although i don't think i have a working floppy to read the disks with but i can tell you with 1 "install" floppy and 13 "data" for the main os and 4 for the display driver,and another 3 thats are a print driver. .. then a whole other box full of floppies that has a bunch of other "extra" software. i would be kinda susprised to find that all of those disks are still working.the only sealed pack is the "works" floppy set and even sealed idk if they will work today. with a bit o luck maybe ill find a floppy that works (and a cable to connect it with).
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

OS/2 was the corporate workhorse for modem connections and remotely controlled desktops, using PCAnyWhere. Windows 3 ran better inside OS/2 than it ran on the HD alone.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                OS/2 was the corporate workhorse for modem connections and remotely controlled desktops, using PCAnyWhere. Windows 3 ran better inside OS/2 than it ran on the HD alone.
                And, IIRC - most or all automatic teller machines. Don't know if that's still the case, though.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                  meh now you guys are making me want to install it in a vm. Although i don't think i have a working floppy to read the disks with but i can tell you with 1 "install" floppy and 13 "data" for the main os and 4 for the display driver,and another 3 thats are a print driver. .. then a whole other box full of floppies that has a bunch of other "extra" software. i would be kinda susprised to find that all of those disks are still working.the only sealed pack is the "works" floppy set and even sealed idk if they will work today. with a bit o luck maybe ill find a floppy that works (and a cable to connect it with).
                  If you're really interested there is a company keeping OS/2 alive. It's not free but it supposedly runs on modern hardware -

http://www.ecomstation.com/
                  -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                  X