This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"wizard" question

This is more interesting than support, per se... I have an HP dv7t-4000 laptop (8GB, 1GBdedicated AMD video, i7 mobile) and when running Win7, it will often just hard-stop (no event viewer entry), as if the power cord was unplugged, or processor overheating. But these are not the case (its unrelated to the level of CPU usage level and monitors report no overheat). Anyway, here comes the question - why is Kubuntu (both 10.10 and Natty) rock-solid stable, even when I'm doing intense math calculations running at 90% CPU? I have had to install various Linux distros in the past with the APIC=OFF and NOACPI options - so I'm assuming that Linux simply uses the Intel hardware better than Windows does. I assume there is some subsytem that Windows depends on (like APIC) that Linux ignores, and this is what has gone bad on my motherboard.

Anyone have any ideas? This is sort of a hardware "wizard level" hardware-specific question. I hate mysteries like this (I don't like Faith-Based computers).

Thanks!
    pattiMichelle

Re: "wizard" question

Windows is, well, Windows. Some would claim, that Windows works as well as it does, is amazing.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

LOL, yea - I've heard that one of the big drivers for Intel's multithreading approach is Windows' inability to handle a CPU. So they had to make the CPU handle itself. (I work with a Masters-level Computer Science major)

Comment

*wiz appears in a puff of blue smoke*

Somebody called?

Yeah, I get the question wasn't for me but I couldn't resist

Chances are it isn't hardware, Patti - I'd imagine it's a software glitch causing the unrecoverable error.

And actually, Windows handles multithreading better than Linux does - although Linux is catching up.
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Windows is, well, Windows. Some would claim, that Windows works as well as it does, is amazing.
          Actually it is, especially considering that Windows 2000 was clean code. Apple has made its users buy new software a couple times - the first time was when they learned with OS8 that a heck of a lot of Mac applications didn't multitask well at all.

The fact that an old DOS 3.3 application will still run on a Windows 7 machine is a pretty good trick if you ask me.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
            *wiz appears in a puff of blue smoke*

Somebody called?
            PattiLOL: Aaaaahahaha, a hahahahaha!!!!! + <tears>

------------------------------------

What? Windows handles preemptive multitasking better than *nix <boink!> <harumph!>
            Before NT - patti was there...
            Before OS2 - patti was there...
            Before Windows 95 - patti was there...
            Before Windows 3.1 - patti was there...
            Before DOS - patti was there...
            And before patti - there was *nix!!!
            <harrumphing again>

But I must admit - Windows/Intel/AMD have brought backward-compatibility to unimaginable heights! And as predicted decades ago, macs now run Intel/Win.

And you can run almost anything under wine and VirtualBox...

Comment

Re: &quot;wizard&quot; question

Originally posted by PattiMichelle
              I have Oracle VirtualBox installed, and I've yet to find a way to get my car to run in it.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

LOL!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  I have Oracle VirtualBox installed, and I've yet to find a way to get my car to run in it.
                  What year car?

Comment

What? Windows handles preemptive multitasking better than *nix <boink!> <harumph!>
                    Not better than *nix, but better than Linux - although Linux has probably caught up. Linux' process scheduler used to be just horrible where Windows NT's was and still is pretty much seamless.

I was playing Quake and burning CDs at the same time on SMP desktop PCs almost 15 years ago - my first SMP desktop PC was a 233MHz Pentium 1 - back in the day before Intel figured out that too many hobbyists were building SMP machines to get away from spending huge money on processors - the ended that party with the P3 Tualatin chip and decided only Xeons could be run in pairs.

Idiots.

But I digress.

Nowadays I think I'd call them about equal although you'll still see some scheduling weirdness if you look closely enough.

One example is that it doesn't matter how many cores you have, Linux has to take the time to hiccup when you insert media in an optical drive. I never have figured this one out, but then I'm not a developer

edit: I had originally called Intel something other than idiots but the board software sanitized it and it lost its effect
                    -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                      I was playing Quake and burning CDs at the same time on SMP desktop PCs almost 15 years ago - my first SMP desktop PC was a 233MHz Pentium 1 - back in the day before Intel figured out that too many hobbyists were building SMP machines to get away from spending huge money on processors - the ended that party with the P3 Tualatin chip and decided only Xeons could be run in pairs.

Idiots.

But I digress.
                      Wow, that's definitely a contender for the coolest thing I've ever heard of! Our local "wizard" (at work) in the 80's had the reputation of being the only person who ever built a laboratory computer out of a discarded missile-guidance computer (he did that in the early 70's, I think). Do you have a website with some details on that project?

Comment

Do you have a website with some details on that project?
                        Nah - but all the big motherboard manufacturers used to make dual-socket boards for Intel's consumer-grade processors. I guess AMD came to the same conclusion Intel did as it used to be you could pair up just about any Athlon chip - but now you can only do it with Operons.
                        -- anais nin

Comment

Is this another touchpad driver problem? Is it sleep-related?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-88241-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=4062&product=4186302&sw_la ng="]Try this[/url] assuming 32bit Win7.
                          --
                          Intocabile

Comment

The first time I saw Linux was around 1995 or 1996, when a friend of mine, Lyle, an IT guy working for AT&T, showed me his PC. He had told me about this "new OS" and how cool it was. Frankly, I thought he was was smoking something. His PC was running FOUR instances of a Slackware console simultaneously as guest OSs inside of NT 3.5 and each instance was running the DOS version of DOOM with no apparent decrease in speed. He claimed DOOM ran faster inside Linux than it did inside NT. He killed DOOM in one of them and ran what I later learned was an Xserver running the twm X11 client. I thought at the time that twm was pathetic compared to NT 3.5. I asked if twm could run Visual Basic. He replied "no". Click ... the sound of my interest shutting off. For the sake of friendship I continued to watch his demo to the end.

"What do you think?", he asked, expectantly.

"Cool!", I replied, diplomatically. "When will it run Windows applications?" He didn't know.
                            In 1998 I was running Win95. It had crashed several times a day for four straight months and I had to reinstall it FIVE times during that interval. I went to Barns & Nobel to get a copy of OS/2, which I was running before Win95, and found Red Had 5.0, which never crashed once. In September of 1998 I switched to SuSE running KDE 1.0 beta. I never look backed.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I also ran OS/2 before Win95. I thought it was exceptionally cool that I could get up to 736k of memory available in a command prompt window. It didn't dawn on me until much later that no DOS application can address more than 640k of conventional memory
                              -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                              X