X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE bootsplash and login screen barely visible

Hi!

Been using Linux since October last year, so I'm kinda new here...

I wanted to switch from Gnome to KDE, but after installation of Kubuntu 11.04, the bootsplash (that's what the loading screen with the five dots below the logo is called, right?) and the login screen were barely visible... I had to really strain my neck to see what was on the screen and where my mouse pointer was... As if the brightness and contrast of the screen are automatically reduced to near invisible levels... And after I managed to log in, the screen returned to normal.

The funny - but very annoying - thing is, I also tried Linux Mint 10 KDE and openSUSE 11.4 KDE and exactly the same thing happened! Is this a known issue of the K Desktop Environment or is it a hardware/video driver issue? Because with the standard Gnome version, the bootsplash has always behaved like this, but right before the login screen loads, the monitor goes to normal again and I can see where to fill in my login name and password... No harm done, except for the slight disappointment of not seeing the Kubuntu logo when loading...

Thanks!
    Bart

+++
    Hewlett Packard G62 notebook

Processor: Intel Core i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13 GHz
    RAM: 2.7 GiB

Display info:
    Vendor: Intel Corporation
    Model: Arrandale Integrated Graphics Controller
    2D driver: Intel
    3D driver: Unknown Classic (7.10)
    +++

Re: KDE bootsplash and login screen barely visible

Yes it sounds like a video problem.

You might want to install the so-called startupmanager and change the resolution of the start up screen to see if that makes any difference.

Comment

Re: KDE bootsplash and login screen barely visible

try booting w/ teh NOACPI option (or turn off ACPI in ur bios for a boot) see if that changes it.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
      X