This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no video after upgrade to 11.04

hello all...after upgrading my acer 5300 series laptop, i get no video at all. i am dual booting, so after initial power up and making my selection in grub to use the linux install, the screen goes blank and i hear the startup music, but no video. in grub, there is an option for older linux install, after selecting that, i get back to my desktop. i'm not sure if it has something to do with the screen resolution that kubuntu is trying to use might not be compatible with my hardware, or something all together different. any help would be appreciated.

Re: no video after upgrade to 11.04

We need to know about the GPU in your laptop.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
      00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
      00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
      00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
      00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
      00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
      00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
      00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
      00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
      00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
      00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
      00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
      00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
      00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
      00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
      00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
      00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
      00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
      04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)
      05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)

Comment

Integrated Intel. No special drivers required for it.

Are you configured for automatic login by chance?

Comment

yes, automatic login

Comment

A possibility is that you were using a Desktop Theme prior to the upgrade that isn't present in 11.04. A quick way to test this theory is to reboot. At the Grub menu, opt to boot into recovery mode. This will log you in to a command line as your regular user.

Edit the /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc file (as root):

Code:
            sudo nano /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
            User your down arrow key until you get to the [X-*-Greeter] section. Look at the Theme= entry. It likely does not show:

Theme=/usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/horos

but something else. IF that assumption is true, then just right-arrow to the first / (after the =) and press the delete key to remove everything after the =. Then press Ctrl+o to write the change and Ctrl+x to close the editor.

Then reboot your PC with:
            Code:
            sudo shutdown -r now
            and try booting in again.

Comment

i tried what you said, but i couldnt even get to the command line in the recovery mode. as soon as i selected recovery mode, the screen went black and never came out of it. by the way, thanks for the quick responses.

Comment

Working...
              X