This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

touchpad fix?

In 10.10 KDE I was able to disable the touchpad automatically when typing, and I believe whenever a mouse was detected - can't seem to find either of those settings in Natty. Can someone point me in the right direction? The dv7t-4000 lappie has the worst touchpad in recent history.

Re: touchpad fix?

Originally posted by PattiMichelle
    In 10.10 KDE I was able to disable the touchpad automatically when typing, and I believe whenever a mouse was detected - can't seem to find either of those settings in Natty. Can someone point me in the right direction? The dv7t-4000 lappie has the worst touchpad in recent history.
    sudo apt-get install kde-config-touchpad

After you install that you'll find it in the touchpad section of systemsettings --> keyboard and mouse.

If you want to disable the touchpad while typing as opposed to when a mouse is detected you'll need to run syndaemon as a startup application. Default for syndaemon is touchpad is disabled until two seconds after you stop typing, but you can configure it.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

thanks - you mean "Input Devices?" I saw that there was already a touchpad module in System Settings but it didn't have that entry.

EDIT - says it's already installed. Still nothing in there for either disabling it when a mouse is plugged in or when typing. Computer almost unusable due to the cursor jumping around when typing... did someone forget to port this to Natty? (help!)

Comment

Sorry - I guess that's not an option in Kubuntu. I'm gonna have to be a little more careful since apparently there are some subtle differences between Debian and Kubuntu.

I attached a screenshot of what I get - but if turning the touchpad off isn't an option I'd suggest adding syndaemon as a startup application. See syndaemon's man page - it's really simple and for most people I wouldn't figure you'd need any command-line switches as the default is 2 seconds, which is a long time if you're typing

Attached Files
        -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
          sudo apt-get install kde-config-touchpad

After you install that you'll find it in the touchpad section of systemsettings --> keyboard and mouse.
          In kubuntu natty you'll find it in Utilities - synaptiks :

[img width=400 height=330]http://i.imgur.com/l7HQ6.jpg[/img]
          ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

There you go - thanks
            -- anais nin

Comment

THANK YOU EVERYONE (smile+tears)
              I have a lot of programming to do and that jumping cursor was giving me fits!!!! (I know those keypad controls were there in the KDE applet in 10.10 because I wasn't smart enough to have solved this otherwise...)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <- happy girl!

Edit: well maybe I was wrong - maybe I did find this utility in 10.10... They say memory is the first thing to go...

--------------------------------------------------------------

TriBoot: Win7 (always crashes); OpenSuSE11.4; Kubuntu Natty

Comment

I, too, have had fits with the touchpad causing the mouse cursor to jump around on the screen. I am sure that with 10.10 I found the same thing as PattiMichelle did and was delighted to do so. However, I wrote a bash script that works around the problem back under 10.04 and I've been using it again on 11.04.

Code:
                #!/bin/bash

# This script toggles the state of a Synaptics Touchpad.
                # That is, if the Touchpad is turned off it turns it on and vice versa.

synclient TouchpadOff=$((1-$(synclient -l | awk '/TouchpadOff/{print $3}')))
                I run this script from /usr/local/bin/tpad.

Comment

Working...
                X