Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Is the Nvidia driver installed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Is the Nvidia driver installed?

Hello,

New to Kubuntu and I have a few post-installation questions. This one is about the Nvidia driver. IN the menu the Nvidia X server settings item appears. And when I start it I see that I have the 270.41.06 driver. But when I go to "System -additional drivers" I get the message that no proprietary drivers are installed in this system. So is the driver installed or not> If not, how do I install it?

Thanks,

lcharles

Re: Is the Nvidia driver installed?

Open nvidia-settings (you can click it from your System > Settings menu, or Alt-F2 and run it). Click the "Open GL/GLX Information" item -- there should be a long list of GLX extensions. Click the "GPU 0" menu item -- it should show your graphics processor information. If it all looks normal, then the answer is "YES" the driver is installed. If so, leave the System > Additional Drivers item alone.

Next question: How the heck did it get installed without you knowing about it? :P

Comment

There seems to be a bug, or two bugs.
      I have the nvidia-driver installed, but it says 'installed but not in use'. I'm sure it IS in use, because when I remove it I have no OpenGL etc. (the extensions dibl means).
      There's a bugreport at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ey/+bug/771788
      It looks like for some people the driver really doesn't get installed or doesn't work, but for other people it only SAYS it's not in use, but it actually IS in use.
      Pretty confusing, because I only was sure it was working when I removed it and installed it again.

Comment

One more test -- if glxgears runs in a terminal window, you're using the Nvidia driver.

Comment

OK,

In the nvidia-settings GL/GLX information there is infact a long list of GLX extensions. Likewise the GPU 0 menu item shows my graphics processor information. However trying to run glxgears gives me the error:
          "The program 'glxgears' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
          sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
          larrylaca1@larrylaca1:~$ "

And "sudo lshw -C display" gives me:

"sudo: unable to resolve host larrylaca1
          [sudo] password for larrylaca1:
          *-display
          description: VGA compatible controller
          product: GT200 [GeForce GTX 260]
          vendor: nVidia Corporation
          physical id: 0
          bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
          version: a1
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
          configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
          resources: irq:18 memory:fa000000-faffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:f8000000-f9ffffff ioport:cc00(size=128) memory:fbd80000-fbdfffff "

So I presume the driver is installed.

To answer the question, I have no idea how it got installed. I didn't do it. In the previous distro I used I had to use sgfxi to install the driver.

lcharles

lcharles

Comment

Open a terminal and type

dkms status

and post the results

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok here's the result,

arrylaca1@larrylaca1:~$ dkms status
              nvidia-current, 270.41.06, 2.6.38-8-generic-pae, i686: installed

I think I've been a bit dim. I must have used sgfxi wen I was first considering using Kubuntu a few weeks ago and then forgot about it. Then after a few weeks of trying a few other distribution I came back to it and continued with setting Kubuntu up like I wanted it. I assumed I hadn't installed the nvidia driver because I was having such a hard time with desktop effects that I turned them all off.

Thanks for all of the help and time.

How do I mark this topic solved?

lcharles

Comment

Edit the original post and prefix the Subject line with [SOLVED]
                --
                Intocabile

Comment

Working...
                X