This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPU Overheats After Natty Install

Been having a problem with my gpu (I think) over heating after the install of 11.04. The MB runs at around 120, the cpu around 105, I have no idea on how I can measure my gpu temperature though. The reason I know that my gpu is over heating is when I play a video in fullscreen on vlc, after awhile it starts getting blocky and starts lagging, it gets so bad that the video eventually stops all together and I'm not able to exit or anything, my computer freezes up completely and I have to press the reboot button. With Meerkat I did not have this problem, any idea on what's going on?
    Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Re: GPU Overheats After Natty Install

What video driver are you using? Nouveau, nvidia-current, or ?

If you are using either nvidia-current or the proprietary downloaded nvidia driver, you can get some control over your gpu using the nvidia-settings program. However, to enable its control features you will need to include the following in your xorg.conf file:

Code:
    Section "Screen"
      Option     "Coolbits" "5"
    This will enable fan control and a few other things. You can then crank the fans up, or at least make sure auto mode is working. I have 2 9800 gt cards in sli configuration, and this works quite well.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

There is also this option: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...from%20scratch

One other consideration is that some Natty installations are experiencing a 20-30% increase is CPU usage because of a power consumption regression in kernels .34 through .39. If DrDruidPhD proposals don't work then perhaps changing the kernel may help.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
        What video driver are you using? Nouveau, nvidia-current, or ?

If you are using either nvidia-current or the proprietary downloaded nvidia driver, you can get some control over your gpu using the nvidia-settings program. However, to enable its control features you will need to include the following in your xorg.conf file:

Code:
        Section "Screen"
          Option    "Coolbits" "5"
        This will enable fan control and a few other things. You can then crank the fans up, or at least make sure auto mode is working. I have 2 9800 gt cards in sli configuration, and this works quite well.
        Hmm... That didn't open anymore options for me for some reason.
        Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Comment

Working...
        X