This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broadband USB modem not recognized

I have a broadband modem that was working perfectely in kubuntu 10.10. Now that I did a fresh install to 11.04 it isn't recognized anymore.
    It usually was detected as ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 and I used to use wvdial to connect without any problem.
    Now, I cannot see ttyUSBx or any other tty changes in /dev. It might not be loading the driver and no device is created.
    Googling around, I found that I should have usbserial module loaded, but when I do a lsmod I cannot see this module. I loaded the module with modprobe usbserial but still no luck.
    Any ideas? Does anyone eles is having this problem?

Re: broadband USB modem not recognized

Insufficient information.

What is the make and model of your USB broadband modem?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The report from lsusb is:

ID 19d2:0040 ONDA Communication S.p.A.

Comment

But based on the modem' s label:
        Made: ZTE Corporation
        Model: EDGE USB Stick DC87-0

Comment

Doesn't look like there is much on the Internet that can be of help to you. These two dead-ends are typical:
          http://ircanswers.com/ubuntu/311228/...ompiler-ubuntu
          http://ircanswers.com/ubuntu/311229/...tu-connectinon

Most of the other websites claiming to have drivers for the dc-870 were masquerades of trojan download sites.

Reverting back to 10.10 might be your best solution. What kernel and module was 10.10 using to connect to that device?

Or, can you get a commonly used USB Wifi?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks for your help.
            I will keep looking for solutions and I hope I can find a patch for the kernel or the correct driver/module.

Comment

What kernel and module was 10.10 using to connect to that device?
              It might be that reverting to the kernel of 10.10 and/or copying the kernel module that 10.10 used to activate that device over to 11.04 might be helpful. You can use "Startup Disk Creator" to burn the 10.10 iso onto a USB stick, boot it in the "LiveUSB" mode, activate your dc87-0 device, and then
              lsmod
              to see what kernel module (xyz.ko) is being used. Mount your 11.04 partition and copy the kernel module over to the same location on your 11.04 partition.

When you reboot you can try
              lsmod xyz (what ever its file name is)
              and use
              iwlist scanning
              to see if you got a wifi device.

Comment

Working...
              X