This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with 'ld'

I'm having trouble when I try to build an application. My C++/C files compile, but when the linking stage starts, I get an error message I have never seen before. I figured I would remove the package with 'ld' in it and then make sure that I install a link loader that is compatible with g++ 4.4. When I look for the package containing 'ld', I cannot find it.

Does anyone know how to uninstall 'ld' and then reinstall? Also, how do I know if a given version of 'ld' is compatible with the current version of g++?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Anderson

Re: Trouble with 'ld'

How did you setup your build environment? A simple way to setup a build environment is by installing the package build-essential. ld.bfd (ld is a symlink to it) is in the package binutils. It should have come in with gcc and therefore be compatible(depending on install method). Why do you think that your problems lies with a version conflict between compiler and linker? Why don't you post a terminal dump of the failed build before you start trying to gut your package system. Also try to give us some hints on your skill level in both linux and programming.
    FKA: tanderson

Comment

Re: Trouble with 'ld'

I'm sorry to take so long to respond. Thanks for the pointer to binutils, which contains the linker. I checked and my linker was up to date.

The reason I wanted to check that first is that I have had storm failures twice in late June and had to put one PC in mothballs and do some work to get another one back to normal. I didn't have full confidence with my configuration and I wanted to make sure the linker was the right one for the gcc/g++ compilers before chasing after a linking problem. It turns out that it was a problem in my code, but I felt better spending a few minutes verifying the linker was correct before digging in and spending the time to find the code problem.

Jim Andersonn

Comment

Working...
      X