This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last update killed Flash

The last update included a flash installer. Now no flash works in firefox.

Re: Last update killed Flash

WTF this is the second time. And now I have to drive across this city to fix my families computers set to autoupdate just so their flash player will work.

1. uninstall flash installer.

2. open firefox and go to a flash site like youtube and firefox will ask if you want to install missing pluggins. Choose firefox installer and let it install

3. close and reopen firefox and it works again.

This breaking of flash is retarded I Installed linux on my family computers so stuff would not break.... Besides if people realize they are releasing packages that break something why don't they release a package that corrects it? (rant done sorry... breathe)

Comment

Originally posted by wrender
      WTF this is the second time. And now I have to drive across this city to fix my families computers set to autoupdate just so their flash player will work.

1. uninstall flash installer.

2. open firefox and go to a flash site like youtube and firefox will ask if you want to install missing pluggins. Choose firefox installer and let it install

3. close and reopen firefox and it works again.

This breaking of flash is retarded I Installed linux on my family computers so stuff would not break.... Besides if people realize they are releasing packages that break something why don't they release a package that corrects it? (rant done sorry... breathe)
      Snipped to eliminate lots of extra linefeeds.

+1

Comment

let me shead some light on what the "flashplugin-installer" package does.

there is no "fixing" this package as all it does is download the flash plugin from the adobe site and put it in the correct folder.. SOMETIMES. when there is an update to the flash plugin the link is not active (or u lose net connection durring the configure packages stage when it dl;s the plugin) you will have broken flash plugin. the second reason that it does not install corrretly is you have to not have a browser open durring its upgrade.

IF you ever have a problem with the flash player. open you package manager and reinstall the "flashplugin-installer" package.

sidenote it seams all flash stuff will FORCE you to upgrade when a new version is released. before it will work
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hi
          Using Natty, I followed the above instructions, after waiting a few days to let things settle down.

Today I uninstalled and reinstalled the flashplugin installer, and went to YouTube and searched for Halo Reach and without even having to select a video the browser said that I needed to install the latest Flash.

I then was directed to Adobe, and tried all three of the variants of it, the 8.04, 9.0 whatever and was told by Gdebi that I had the wrong architecture, I have AMD not I386 which Meerkat didn't have a problem with.

So...with Natty, there are no You Tube videos which I can watch. NOT EVEN LADY GAGA!!!

I haven't even tried this with Meerkat but i might later.

so.... Flash still has some kind of "problem"..

woodsmoke

Comment

Epiphany and Arora show my lady GaGa vids!

OOOhhh OOOhhh joy, joy, tra la tra la lee I get to see my lady GaGa vids! ummm NOT!

But, I could if did wanta!

I've installed many of the available browsers.

I cannot watch a Halo Reach vid with Firefox or Konqueror or Rekonq or Chrome(within the browser).

Chrome will download the video and one views it in an external app.

Arora and Epiphany both show the video in the browser.

so.... dunno the import of the information, but until the Flash thing is resolved, if one has a BURNING DESIRE to see lady GaGa vids.....there are two browsers that will let us limp along.

woodsmoke

Comment

Install Flash Player 10.3 Beta

Download it here: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10-3.html
              Run the following commands:

Code:
              tar xzf flashplayer10-3_b2_lin_033111.tar.gz
              sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
              sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
              sudo cp -r ./usr /
              That's it, you're done.
              Attached Files
              ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Originally posted by wrender
                WTF this is the second time. And now I have to drive across this city to fix my families computers set to autoupdate just so their flash player will work...
                OT and completely none of my business but I quit using automatic upgrades years ago after some major breakage. Even earlier this week apt offered to remove KDE for the second time - the first time was almost two weeks ago.

May I suggest running automatic updates (such as putting apt-get update in the system's crontab) but running *upgrades* manually so you don't have to drive across town?

Using sshd and port forwarding (I'd use certificate-based authentication or run it on a nonstandard port) would allow you to SSH in once a week or so and run upgrades in the background once you're sure nothing's gonna break.

cheers -
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Flash Fixed Simply.

I missed the post by Ubuntuku somehow, and found that I was down to the Epiphany browser for viewing youtube.

A post at ubu from 2008 said to check what is now:
                  Tools/manage content plugins.

It had Shockwave flash player. gnash and skype buttons for kopete.

So....thinking of plugins I went to FF addons and found this app:

Flash - Aid

Flash-aide 2.0.6. I installed it, a button appeared in the top right of the browser and I clicked it there was a terminal, and some activity, it downloaded some stuff kinda quickly and said restart so i did and I can now see YouTube videos!

In the manage content plugins I now see:

Shokwave
                  FutureSplash Player ( Adobe Flash Player (installer)
                  Skype buttons for Kopete.

FutureSplas player is an adobe player which, apparently the Flash-aid installed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash

So... I don't know, it SEEMS to only work ONCE, the button is now gone. The guy is asking for a donation which I shall send. There is no "popup" or a "nag" at least that I have seen.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                    let me shead some light on what the "flashplugin-installer" package does.

there is no "fixing" this package as all it does is download the flash plugin from the adobe site and put it in the correct folder.. SOMETIMES. when there is an update to the flash plugin the link is not active (or u lose net connection durring the configure packages stage when it dl;s the plugin) you will have broken flash plugin. the second reason that it does not install corrretly is you have to not have a browser open durring its upgrade.

IF you ever have a problem with the flash player. open you package manager and reinstall the "flashplugin-installer" package.

sidenote it seams all flash stuff will FORCE you to upgrade when a new version is released. before it will work
                    It sounds like the REAL retards are the flash coders.

Comment

I found a fix in a Launchpad bug report

1. move all plugins from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins in to temp directory
                      2. sudo apt-get upgrade.
                      3. move plugins back.
                      4. sudo apt-get upgrade.
                      5. enjoy

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/694137

Comment

Re: Flash Fixed Simply.

Originally posted by woodsmoke
                        I missed the post by Ubuntuku somehow, and found that I was down to the Epiphany browser for viewing youtube.

It had Shockwave flash player. gnash and skype buttons for kopete.

So....thinking of plugins I went to FF addons and found this app:

Flash - Aid

Flash-aide 2.0.6. I installed it, a button appeared in the top right of the browser and I clicked it there was a terminal, and some activity, it downloaded some stuff kinda quickly and said restart so i did and I can now see YouTube videos!

Seemed to correct my issues here. It didn't disappear for me so I disabled it and everything still seems to run OK. Flash worked but videos had bad flashing issues due to the player progress bars and all but no more!

Comment

Working...
                        X