Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[KERNEL] How to get RIGHT kernel source?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KERNEL] How to get RIGHT kernel source?

I just downloaded the kernel source, but I found the kernel VERSION Is not the same as the one current running;

The running kernel version is 2.6.35-22-generic (uname -r), but the kernel VERSION in the Makefile of source tree is 2.6.35.11; Where is the the kernel source for the current version?

I tried use the kernel header package (/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic) to compile my driver kernel module, it is no problem to compile and install; but when I use the kernel source, it reports me the invalid module format while installing. I known it is the kernel version issue, but it's still fail even I manually modify the kernel version in the Makefile of source tree as the same.

Any Idea? How can I download the right kernel source for running version?

/Wallace

Re: [KERNEL] How to get RIGHT kernel source?

Any one can help

Comment

install the package linux-source, which should download the source for the kernel version you are running iirc

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
        install the package linux-source, which should download the source for the kernel version you are running iirc
        Hi laydoh,

It didn't, the downloaded kernel source is different from the running one; the output of the uname -r is 2.6.35-22-generic, and the version indicated in the kernel source is 2.6.35-11.

I can modify the version in the Makefile in the source tree to pass the compilation of my module, but still failed in installing module; so I believe the kernel source is different from the running one.

/Wallace

Comment

also note that 2.6.35-22 is not the same as 2.6.35.11 note the "dot" and the "dash" I have not had to compile a kernel module in some years, but I believe that (at least in theory) there should be no differences between say, 2.6.35DOT11 and 2.6.35DOT22 for compiling modules. the dash is iirc distro-specific revision, but someone with more at-hand knowledge should add their info here.....

Comment

Hi laydoh,

I know your point, but that still can't explain why I got invalid module format based on downloaded kernel source .......

/Wallace

Comment

Working...
            X