Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSPP Stastistical Software Not Booting(Running, Working)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSPP Stastistical Software Not Booting(Running, Working)

Dear Forum Attendants,

I am a student and as long as my political activism is not castrated I will use linux.

However, fighting the machine is not always simple. I need to run a statistical software, R is not suitable, most of our datasets are made on SPSS and importing stuff just never works completely.

I know there is something called PSPP which could be the saviour, yet it is not working. I install the thing and once i try to run it, it comes up and suddenly dissapears.
    I tried running it in the terminal, over there everything seems to be working, but still no user interface appears.

Any suggestions how could I try running PSPP?

Re: PSPP Stastistical Software Not Booting(Running, Working)

See PSPP Table of Contents
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, and this helps me how?

Comment

Downloaded via apt-get install pspp and tested it here in Natty.

In the K Menu, the application is in Education > Mathmatics and Education > Science Launching from either location brings up the application.

How did you install pspp?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I use Kubuntu 10.10

Installed it from software respiratory - did not work. Installed it through terminal, as you suggested - did not work either.

The very first time I installed it, it worked until I opened a first dataset and then it just does not come up again

Comment

Works here. What happens when you type "psppire" in the terminal?

Comment

psppire gives this:

Gtk:ERROR/build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.22.0/gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed: (retval !=NULL) Aborted

Comment

It seems like you hit this bug! (there are some workarounds listed in the report)
                https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/651678

Please try some of these, it should get you going! Also, maxima and xmaxima are very nice ...

Comment

Hi
                  I was not able to get the stable to work, but the "nightly build" from this did.

This on Kubuntu, Lucid, Trinity desktop

You will have to add gandalf's signing key and the two deb sources.

https://launchpad.net/~gandalf/+archive/pspp

woodsmoke

Comment

The problem is deepening...

I've tried every single solution from the bug report website - I still get the same error

Gandalf's PPA was not prommissing either...

I don't know maybe I am approaching something wrong, if you have any ideas, just brainstrom and I will try everything

Comment

Have you installed all available updates from the software manager? I wonder if that would help. The GUI just pops up ok in my system ...

Comment

did you try running a data set on yours? this is when mine crashed...

still looking for solution

Comment

Well, you need to provide the right info in order for us to be able to help. Telling people "and this helps me how" is not very friendly. Remember we are volunteering our time just to help you, you may as well show some appreciation

From you original post, it was evident that you were not getting a GUI to pop up. Now it seems like you do get a GUI. But then the program doesn't handle your dataset. If that's the case, please refer to the mailing list or forum specific to PSPP. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X