This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Widgets vs. apps

Why is a particular facility a widget versus an app? Widgets and apps appear in different ways on the desktop, but is there a reason other than history why a program should be one or the other? I discovered that Folder View works best for apps and Desktop View works best for widgets, or so it seems. The K menu is full of apps but has no widgets as far as I can see.

Re: Widgets vs. apps

LOL
    If one looks around on the web one sees a LOT of the same question and they "seem" to be in smart phone forums.

The general idea that I got was that an "app" is something that does something when "you" do something to it. Like click it and it runs, like maybe Amarok.

A widget runs "by itself" like a clock or a weather thing that you don't have to "click" to get it to do it's thing. Now, you may have to "enlarge" it, like you have a picture of a sun or a moon and hover or click it and you see "more" information, but when you have it going it doesn't "need" you to keep it going.

That leads to another type of comment and that was that a "widget" can give you a "look" into something that an app can, or is, doing, like an e-mail program, thus the "app" has a "widget" that is on the desktop to show whether the mail program has found "new mail".

This then puts the "widget" into being the same thing as an "icon" in the panel that says that the mail program has found mail.

However, a shortcut on the desktop would not be a widget because it merely opens the program.

Another bunch of comments were that widgets tend to be things that "do streaming" such as weather streams the temperature...

So, does that mean that Amarok, which most people would say is an "app" becomes a great big honking widget when you are playing "streaming music from Shoutcast"? hmmm

But, basically, most posts said something like an app is something you "click" or "open" to run and do something with it, like a word processor or Amarok, while a "widget" is something you start and it just keep running like a weather thing or a clock.

GREAT QUESTION!!! I imagine this will get a LOT of comments!!

woodsmoke

Comment

don't know what happened i was modifying the post but quoted it i guess.
      please remove this.
      woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
        Quinoa is kind of relegated to Vegans and the Gluten intolerant but it provides ALL of the amino acids that are in "meat". Anyone desiring to reduce "meat" intake, look at these recipes - NOT "tofu".
        I just noticed your sig and wanted to thank you! I'm a longtime (since 1988) vegetarian, and love seeing word spread about meat alternatives.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Hi DYK
          I"m glad you like it!
          I teach college biology and am a plant ecologist and did not even KNOW about the plant until I saw it in a new textbook we had been issued and researched it more and was lecturing on it one day and a young lady held up her hand and began to relate how she had the "trauma induced gene change", she had a massive flu infection, ended up in hospital and got over it, but a few days later was back in hosptial with some kind of "new" massive allergy.

She was the first person, apparently, diagnosed with it in our fair city and the hospital hooked her up with the Quinoa at a local health food store and she does fine, but misses her burgers!

In the last three years I have had two other students who have experienced the same thing.

I'm now doing a "test planting" to see if we can raise the plants in our environs and if so then the college may get involved in doing a larger pilot project in conjunction with some local "local food advocates".

I've been using the "white" form as a sprout in my salads, and another teacher uses the red form.

One of the things I discuss in my classes is that, for the first time, as far as I know... the "vegan" in the U.S. really can get all of the amino acids in a relatively easy manner without having to go to "supplements".

And, if we can get it "going" and it really is as easy to harvest as just "shaking the heads" and gathering the seed, then I see no reason why it shouldn't be a runaway food.

woodsmoke

Comment

I just discovered quinoa - great stuff - a pseudograin because it's not a grass - it's the seeds of goosefoot. Great stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X