This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OOO 3.3

Couldn't find this on a search here or on Google - what Kubuntu repo has OOO3.3 in it? It appears to have been out a while, and OOO is evolving rapidly.

THANKS!
    PattiMichelle

Re: OOO 3.3

OOo has been replaced by LibreOffice (at least here in Natty). Not sure how things are going in Maverick. However, you can download the appropriate 3.3.0 .deb package (compressed as .tar.gz) from OpenOffice. See OpenOffice.org - Download tested and stable builds. After you have downloaded the appropriate file, you will have to uncompress it and launch the .deb file. Assuming there are no dependency issues, it will install.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks - I tried that and it expanded to a massive directory structure - I was not sure what to do! It was not a simple ".deb" package I could install.

Originally posted by Snowhog
      OOo has been replaced by LibreOffice (at least here in Natty). Not sure how things are going in Maverick. However, you can download the appropriate 3.3.0 .deb package (compressed as .tar.gz) from OpenOffice. See OpenOffice.org - Download tested and stable builds. After you have downloaded the appropriate file, you will have to uncompress it and launch the .deb file. Assuming there are no dependency issues, it will install.

Comment

If you are seeing a really huge set of files, you are in the "manually install" thing...and there is a critical file which must NOT be installed or the whole thing is doofed up.

Also there is a "desktop integration" file which MUST be installed or there are no menu entries.

There are several threads in several places about how to do it, I did it back when OO was first getting on the upswing and it is a big job.

I can noodle around, or somebody with much more experience here at the forum might and that person would get much better results.., but there is a thread somewhere on what to do, and it should work.

woodsmoke

Comment

I finally hit on the correct set of search terms...

Instead of intalling the files one by one, try to install them all at the same time:
          cd /path/to/files/
          sudo dpkg -i *.deb

EDIT: Well, almost...
          patti@dv7t-Kubuntu64:~/Downloads/OOO330_m20_native_packed-1_en-US.9567/DEBS/desktop-integration$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
          dpkg: regarding openoffice.org3.3-debian-menus_3.3-9556_all.deb containing openoffice.org-debian-menus:
          openoffice.org-debian-menus conflicts with openoffice.org-bundled
          openoffice.org-core provides openoffice.org-bundled and is present and installed.
          dpkg: error processing openoffice.org3.3-debian-menus_3.3-9556_all.deb (--install):
          conflicting packages - not installing openoffice.org-debian-menus
          Errors were encountered while processing:
          openoffice.org3.3-debian-menus_3.3-9556_all.deb
          patti@dv7t-Kubuntu64:~/Downloads/OOO330_m20_native_packed-1_en-US.9567/DEBS/desktop-integration$

Sheesh. There's always a gotcha!

Still cranking. Broke Java JRE Now I'm borked and nothing helps - I need a wizard to tell me a command to fix:
          "An error occurred
          E: sun-java6-jre: Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should reinstall it before attempting removal.'

But Synaptic/Adept/KPackageKit won't let me do anything like reinstall it.

Comment

yeah all those geeky guys like ME!!! We know EXACTLY what search terms to enter!

Yep, no matter how experty people may want to look, it sometimes just takes trying different thing.

As they say, the search engine is your friend!

I'm glad you got things done relatively quickly!

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
              yeah all those geeky guys like ME!!! We know EXACTLY what search terms to enter!

Yep, no matter how experty people may want to look, it sometimes just takes trying different thing.

As they say, the search engine is your friend!

I'm glad you got things done relatively quickly!

woodsmoke
              Nope - I'm in fact broke and wedged again...

Updater says... "subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 2"

Wait a minute - synaptic stopped reporting an error (even though the updater does)

OK - now it seems to work. I guess there are a couple of tricks - one is to remove OpenOffice3.2 (NOT a simple task), then install jre from the repo. THEN when you do the dpkg command (including the desktop integration) it will complete as-expected. I wish I were a coder: I would write an installer for th OOO folks.

Comment

also a simple reboot puts many things right.

And the updates..yes.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by PattiMichelle
                  Thanks - I tried that and it expanded to a massive directory structure - I was not sure what to do! It was not a simple ".deb" package I could install.

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  All I did to install Libre Office was the following.

sudo apt-get remove openoffice*.* /Remove Open Office

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa /Add Libre Office PPA
                  sudo apt-get update /Update sources

sudo apt-get install libreoffice /Install Libre Office

Comment

tomp01

Those instructions have to be the least:
                    intrusive
                    bloviated
                    expansive
                    blowing my own horn
                    setting folks up to come back to me for more answers
                    redundant
                    circular in logic

and the most

pithy
                    erudite
                    well thought out
                    elegant
                    concise
                    too the point
                    focused

and just da$# GOOD!

instructions for installing libreoffice vs openoffice

that i have seen/sawn/seed... lol!

woodveryapprciativesmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
                      tomp01

Those instructions have to be the least:
                      intrusive
                      bloviated
                      expansive
                      blowing my own horn
                      setting folks up to come back to me for more answers
                      redundant
                      circular in logic

and the most

pithy
                      erudite
                      well thought out
                      elegant
                      concise
                      too the point
                      focused

and just da$# GOOD!

instructions for installing libreoffice vs openoffice

that i have seen/sawn/seed... lol!

woodveryapprciativesmoke
                      Being basically lazy, I always try to look for the easiest way.

Comment

Originally posted by PattiMichelle
                        OK - now it seems to work. I guess there are a couple of tricks - one is to remove OpenOffice3.2 (NOT a simple task), then install jre from the repo. THEN when you do the dpkg command (including the desktop integration) it will complete as-expected. I wish I were a coder: I would write an installer for th OOO folks.
                        Just in case anyone is still wanting the real OOO - like me....

Remove all packages referring to open office or libre office (personally, using openoffice named packages as subs for libre office is disingenuous at best, but that's another thread...)

Then goto http://download.openoffice.org/other.html and download your language from the "Full Installation" sets. NOTE If you're using 64 bit Kubuntu, uncheck "Include Java..." near the top.

Once you have the file, a click in Dolphin should open it in Ark. Extract it somewhere and then open a terminal window in the folder you extracted to. Then type this command:

sudo dpkg -iR DEBS

This will install the whole thing including menus. Be patient, it takes awhile.
                        I already had sun-java6-jre installed so I got no java errors or messages.
                        Once it is complete you will have to log out and back in to allow the new menu items to show up.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X