This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How to change ugly icons?

I just went from 9.10 to 10.10 and am very unhappy with its ugly tray icons. Contrast my old, pretty icons to the new ugly ones:

I've been unable to find a way to change these. Selecting a different icon theme via System Settings has no effect on these tray icons, nor have I found a right-click [or any other] method of changing them manually.

Also, note the size difference between the old LCD weather widget and the new one--I can barely read the new one and, again, am not seeing any settings I can change that will make it better.

Please, someone, tell me what I'm missing!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Re: How to change ugly icons?

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu

You're missing the beauty of the new icons

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
      Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu

You're missing the beauty of the new icons
      Why, YES!, I realize that. Now if I only knew the secret handshake so I could GET them.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

The new tray icons are part of the default plasma theme (and are also used with plasma themes that don't have icons).

The svg icons are in /usr/share/kde4/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/

If you don't like them, you can replace them with your own svg icons.

There are also a few alternative icon sets available from kde-look.org, and a couple of plasma themes available from the same site come with their own icons.

If you delete the svg icons (though you may wish to just move them somewhere else) in /usr/share/kde4/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/, plasma should revert to the oxygen png icons (the battery and notification icons are exceptions, so you should leave those be).

There is some discussion about it here: http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=90106

Comment

Thank you, kubicle. I'm off to replace icons now...

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] How to change ugly icons?

I wanted to add something: I apologize if I insulted anyone by calling the icons ugly. I'm not usually that rude...and I really just wasn't even thinking that someone who designed those icons might read this.

Comment

"Ugly" was one of the words that quite a few of us used when we first encountered them. No insult taken at all.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                "Ugly" was one of the words that quite a few of us used when we first encountered them. No insult taken at all.
                Thanks, Snowhog.

It's just that I really love Kubuntu and appreciate--and support--the work that's done on it, and while I can blame my blurting out an insult about its icons on chronic brain fog [following brain surgery], I felt pretty badly about saying it...and knowing a person who designed those icons might read that. You know? But I'm glad it's all cool.

Comment

Don't worry about your qualification of the icons.

I still run a parallel version of 8.04 with the KDE3.5 desktop for in case my rather alpha-beta install of KDE4.6 would catastrophically crash.

But luckily I only need to start it up for monthly updates and when I do I'm struck by the dated look of KDE3.5.

It's just what I've grown used to that looks 'best'.

Comment

They look really hideous, it seems as if one of the developers allowed his six year child to design some icons.

Comment

i find them slick and cute

taste is a matter of subjectivity...
                      Does one ever truly has a choice... ?

Comment

I thought I'd post an update now that I have things looking more...normal.

(Select the image for a larger version. Didn't know the forum would squish it down like that!)

[img width=400 height=94]http://www.smartassproducts.com/images/blog/desktop_031511_cropped.jpg[/img]

My panel now looks pretty much the way I want, although I'm stumped by one thing: You know that wireless icon I hated and wanted to change? Well, after various attempts at replacing the default with something prettier--and NOT having any of them show up--I reverted back to the default...but now it doesn't display either! The snapshot didn't capture my pointer, but you can tell I'm hovering over where the wireless icon belongs because of the tooltip displayed above. So...any ideas on why I now have no wireless icon?

Comment

The new ones just take a while to get used to. I'm actually starting to like them.
                          If I knew half as much now as I thought I knew then, I&#39;d know twice as <br />much as I do.

Comment

Isn't Linux wonderful? We can choose what we see or don't see! Those new icons...yeah...they were NEVER going to do it for me. I'm very pleased now that I've replaced them, but you know whatever floats your boat is the way for everyone to go.

Comment

Working...
                            X