This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Effects

Every time I start kubuntu my desktop effects have been disabled by another program I don't no what the program is but I would like it to stop any help would be appreciated.

KUBUNTU 10.10 32bit ATI Radeon graphics card

Re: Desktop Effects

How do you know is another program? Does a pop-up comes out with a error message telling you this? If so, could you please do a print-screen of that or quote it here ? Just so we all see whats going on.

Also, do you have your ATI Radeon drivers installed via Additional Drivers ? (start button -> System -> Additional drivers)

Can you enable desktop effects later on that session, thus making this issue temporary, only at start-up, or you simply can not enable them at all and receive that error message every time you try to enable them?

Does one ever truly has a choice... ?

Comment

System Settings>Desktop effects>Advanced tab> check "Disable functionality checks"
      Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Will do not at home yet though but i can change it and put on the effects my self

Comment

When i turn on laptop desktop effects have been disabled and when I turn them back on i get a pop up saying another program has disabled them and Cairo dock has a black box around it that will not go away even when i open web page. If I turn on the desktop effects any any open windows flicker if I hover over the task bar.

Comment

Can no one help me

Comment

Many moons ago I used to have a similar problem and it was down to the ATI graphics card. After every upgrade I had to faff around getting the correct driver/s installed.

Have you gone to town on that as previously suggested?

I got rid of this issue by upgrading to an Nvidia card but I'm not suggesting you do that!
              Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
              GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
              Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Yes the only thing that is coming up when I run that is the modem. Hope its not the card.
                As that ain't an option
                Thanks .

Comment

I have attached a clip to show the driver that is in use how do I try another one.
                  Attached Files

Comment

You are using the MESA, Open source driver. I guess that's the only way you can get the effects to work on the Radeon X1200 right? Were you not able to install the fglrx driver from the "Additional drivers" section? This might be an older card...not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyered80
                      You are using the MESA, Open source driver. I guess that's the only way you can get the effects to work on the Radeon X1200 right? Were you not able to install the fglrx driver from the "Additional drivers" section? This might be an older card...not sure.
                      older card , YES . iirc the cutoff for the ATI drivers is the X1300 or newer.
                      i have made around 30 posts about ati cards and desktop effects. mostly it goes like this.

in system settings -> desktop effects-> advanced , check off "disable functionality checks" (this will prevent the press shift alt f12 to resume effects on start up).
                      the second problem is if you get yourself on the black list. you can fix that by editing your /home/<username>/.kde/share/config/kwinrc file. look for black list you should see the R300 DRI on the list. .remove it and save. (or delete the file to remove all kwins settings).

if your still stuck search the forums. there are quite a few of these posts around maybe one of them will be more helpful.
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                      X