• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.6 + intel glasen drivers [SOLVED]

Things I did:

1) I installed KDE 4.6 from repos

2) I got kernel 2.6.37-020637-generic

3) i got intel graphics driver from glasen ppa (and i did bad doing so)
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Reasons i say it's bad:

a) I dont think i needed those

b) every time i restart i get this
    http://img820.imageshack.us/i/snapshot3t.png/
    and i have to drag the pannel to bottom

c) after that i have to re-enable compiz
    http://img6.imageshack.us/i/snapshot4tm.png/
    and I hate to have to do that all the time since...

d) ... sometimes compiz gets replaced by kwin (for no reason) and I have to go to c) again... and again... and again...

Question:

How do I purge the installed drivers (or driver fixes) from 3) so I can have my preinstalled Intel drivers?

...and yes, 1) and 2) have nothing to do with this issue since i did restart my laptop several time before doing 3) and nothing was wrong.
    Does one ever truly has a choice... ?

Re: KDE 4.6

Looks like this might solve your downgrade problems:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112331.0

About the other isues, might be worth trying in a new user, had lots of problems in the past with upgraded KDE version on an old / existing profile
    "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - Mitch Ratcliffe

Comment

I can't get that to work.
      Could it not be as simple as uninstalling those drivers with kpackagekit? like... anything that has intel on it ?
      Let's get crazy !! :P

Comment

Me so smart :P

I get it working by doing :

1) open kpackagekit -> settings -> edit origins -> other software , remove glasen repo

2) restart (not sure is necesary)

3) open kpackagekit -> installed software typed intel in the search box and 3 packages were checked (installed)
        so
        a) i unchecked intel-gpu-tool and restarted ---> 0 effect so skip this one :P
        b) checked intel-gpu-tool and unchecked xserver-xorg-video-intel and restart ---> no compiz at all so not good
        c) check back xserver-xorg-video-intel and check xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg + restart---> everything back to normal

my thought process was that xserver-xorg-video-intel was responsable for 3D effects (or openGL ... something...) and xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg was like a debugging tool for xserver-xorg-video-intel so i installed it. And it worked.

Comment

Re: KDE 4.6 + intel glasen drivers [SOLVED]

you need to set compiz as you default window manager , this will set the window manager to compiz and not kwin, look in system settings->default applications-> window manager.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: KDE 4.6 + intel glasen drivers [SOLVED]

Originally posted by sithlord48
            you need to set compiz as you default window manager , this will set the window manager to compiz and not kwin, look in system settings->default applications-> window manager.
            That was allready set, moments after i installed compiz. That was not the issue. It was all about those drivers i installed. Also after compiz i got emerald as well and set it from compiz as default window manager.

After installing xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg compiz again started as default window manager on login.

Comment

Working...
            X