This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved ]Can't login to kubuntu

My problem is I deleted some files from my computer because everytime I would click a link in kopete, it would open a program called "winebrowser" And keep opening and never stop until I restated my comp. I deleted the any files relating to wine, specifically the packages that had 'remove' next to them (Meaning they were already installed) using Kpackage kit. After i logged out I can't login to kubuntu anymore. I think I may have deleted some important dependencies when I deleted wine. When I type my password it does the swirly default loading icon from the mouse for about 2 seconds then blinks then takes me to the login screen. I also tried logging in failsafe mode but the same occurrence happened. I think if I can install whatever packages I delete I'm sure it will work fine. I'd rather have kopete glitch then not having my computer. I am using 10.10 Maverick.

Re: Can't login to kubuntu

Perhaps you can repair it with a live cd.

Maybe a GURU can give you details on how to, but i guess that a simple log-in problem can be solved that way, by copying missing files from live-media.

A system root reinstall might also work, but it also might delete your previous settings. (unless I'm wrong and those settings are in home partition).
    Does one ever truly has a choice... ?

Comment

What do I have to do in order to execute a system root install that you speak of?

Comment

By that I mean reinstalling kubuntu in same partitions, but format only root partition, not the /home partition as well. I remember doing so with one Linux Distro and it worked (LM9 gnome i guess). it reinstalled the system, but all settings were safe in home folder, also all my files.

I might be wrong regarding kubuntu! Things might work different here, hence I advice you to wait for a second opinion from a more experienced user!

Comment

If I didn't need my files I wouldn't hesitate to wipe everything and start from scratch, but I recently made a website and got all my files in the home folder so I can't this time > . Thanks for your suggestion!. I'll wait and get a second opinion from the Linux Guru's :P

Comment

If you want and can save your files to another media, you can simply get into that live-media , go to your home folder (will show up in the left side as a partition when you open dolphin) select those files/folders, copy them to another media and then u are safe for a full format/install.

If you used all hard drive when you installed kubuntu, then your home folder will be inside your root's
            /root/home/username/ ( I believe is correctly just /home/username/ ).

Also, from personal experience, reinstalling Kubuntu and selecting same root partition + format and same /home partition without format, will surely NOT delete your existing files. Perhaps will just create another /home folder inside your /home partition, but surely not delete it. This applies only if you had an installation with separate partitions.

Comment

Thanks Fresh! I decided to go ahead and start over

Comment

Re: [Solved ]Can't login to kubuntu

Avec plaisir

Comment

Working...
                X