This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring windows after restart

Someplace there's a setting that determines whether active windows are restored or not. I once knew where it was, but now I can't find it. Where is it, please?

Re: Restoring windows after restart

do you mean sessions, where your last desktop session is saved on reboot, and all your open apps at logout are restored?

if so, check out System Settings >> Startup and Shutdown >> Session Management

Comment

If you're so inclined, you can also create desktop activities that include specific programs being opened on specific desktops at log in and you can also create individual window settings for specific programs so that when they open they will be of a specific geometry and position

Please Read Me

Comment

starting desktop activities in specific windows

Originally posted by oshunluvr
        If you're so inclined, you can also create desktop activities that include specific programs being opened on specific desktops at log in and you can also create individual window settings for specific programs so that when they open they will be of a specific geometry and position
        I'd like to open specific programs on specific desktops at login. How do I do that?

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          Hmm, I would think that it would get all the desktops right, otherwise it would be a big mess. Anyway, this does sound interesting, but I'm afraid to try it until I get some confirmation that it really works.

Does it actually open up all the same programs and terminals? That might be cool. I only reboot a few times a year, but it takes half an hour, which is part of the reason I'm so loathe to do it. If it could be automated I'd be more "update" friendly.

Comment

create individual window settings for specific programs so that when they open they will be of a specific geometry and position
            This part you do in Right-Click Window Title Bar, Advanced > Special Application/Windows Settings. You can choose a specific desktop for the program to open there, as well as location and many other options. Then you set the program as an autostart and viola! each time you log in, all is as you wish.

I'm not so up on the desktop activity creation... :P

Please Read Me

Comment

Starting a program in a particular window

Are you sure it's possible to arrange for a particular program to be started up in a particular window on login?

Comment

Re: Starting a program in a particular window

Originally posted by pwabrahams
                Are you sure it's possible to arrange for a particular program to be started up in a particular window on login?
                Depends on what you mean by "particular window." If I'm correct in assuming meant particular desktop, Yes.

In my case, I had 4 desktops using dual monitors so that's 8 screens available. I set firefox to open on desktop one, full screen on the left monitor and thunderbird to do the same on the right, and dolphin opened on desktop 2 left side full screen and in my home directory.

Please Read Me

Comment

Starting programs on a particular desktop

Yes, I misspoke -- I meant starting a program on a particular desktop. Say I want Firefox to open on desktop 2 and kmail on desktop 3. How would I do that?

Comment

With the program running, right-click on the top window boarder and select Advanced > Special Application Settings... and check Desktop and select Force and pick which desktop you want it to run on and click OK. I do this all the time.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation oshunluvr and Snowhog. That's worth looking into. I hadn't played with it because I leave my machine on, but this would make a reboot much more pleasurable. So much stuff to get around to fiddling with. (sigh)

Comment

Working...
                      X