X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED!] Problem with Eclipse Helios in Kubuntu 10.10 [Kind of urgent!]

Hey guys!
    I am an older Ubuntu user and now I've decided to move to Kubuntu!
    I must say that it is allmost perfect...
    I am having some serious problem installing Eclipse Helios in Kubuntu 10.10. It used to work fine on Ubuntu 10.04, but now it is not working.
    I can't create an icon on "Applications -> Development".
    I do need to use Eclipse - Helios, the one availabe at KPackageKit is an older version, Eclipse - Galileo, and I can't include fortran features on that version (that is a problem with Eclipse).
    I am following this tutorial:

http://my.opera.com/thiagodnf/blog/2...untu-10-04-lts

(It is in Portuguese)
    I get an error at this line: sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/eclipse.desktop
    The window opens and closes without giving me the chance to edit it!
    Can anyone help me?
    &quot;Our idols and demons will pursue us untill we learn to let them go.&quot;<br />~Madonna~

Re: Problem with Eclipse Helios in Kubuntu 10.10 [Kind of urgent!]

might be a xserver permissions thing. try to use kdesudo instead of sudo.
    FKA: tanderson

Comment

Yes, use kdesudo. Also, make sure gedit is installed (it typically isn't in kubuntu). Or you can use kate, a fantastic editor.

To add an icon in Applications, right click on the K and choose "Menu Editor"

Welcome to the forum, we hope you like it!

Comment

I used kdesudo, but still not working...
        &quot;Our idols and demons will pursue us untill we learn to let them go.&quot;<br />~Madonna~

Comment

Can someone **please** help installing Eclipse Helios in Kubuntu?

Comment

It is hard to help if you don't even try the things we proposed, did you read my post? You seem to be ignoring it, and asking for help, implying that we are not helping.

Also, can you explain exactly what your problem is? Your original description is really vague. What version of eclipse is installed in *buntu 10.10. What version do you need?

Comment

Judging by the site (I don't read portuguese) you have everything done except the desktop icon. You should be able to run eclipse from the terminal window so you shouldn't be desperate. If need be, make your own menu item as lmilano suggested. Anyway.....

Can you confirm that
              Code:
              kdesudo kate
              doesn't work. If not, is there any error messages in the terminal.

you can also try
              Code:
              sudo xhost local:root
              sudo kate

Comment

@lmilano
                Yes, I did tried using "kdesudo" command, but it didn't work.
                @tanderson
                I know that I've installed Eclipse and that I can run it from the terminal.
                The problem is that I can't use it... When I try to "run Eclipse" nothing happens. It's like if I haven't installed it.
                Actually, I don't know what the problem really is. All I know is that everytime I try run Eclipse nothing happens.

Comment

By the way, I didn't mean that you are not helping!
                  I really thank you all for your support and I do not ignore any post!

Comment

so you don't really care about the fact that you can't edit the .desktop file, the real problem is you can't get eclipse running? If this is the case, your first post was very misleading!

Comment

To tell you the truth, at the time that I wrote the question here I didn't know that I had Eclipse installed because I couldn't find it's icon. I just found out that I could run it witha command line a few hours later.

Comment

Ok, I just installed it here to test. It works perfectly (64 bit Kubuntu 10.10). I see eclipse in the menu and it loads just fine.

All I had to do was to follow the instructions from that page, and the only change I had to made was to use "kdesudo kate" instead of "sudo gedit". This is what I have suggested a couple times above, and also Tanderson has suggested. Have you tried it? Is this solved for you? If so, please mark this as [SOLVED] by modifying your original post. Thanks

Comment

Eclipse Helios SR2 now Available, download it here:
                          http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/dow...nux-gtk.tar.gz

Watch the following video for installation process:

http://www.youtube.com/v/vYA0_7AgPxM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1
                          ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

[SOLVED] Re: Problem with Eclipse Helios in Kubuntu 10.10 [Kind of urgent!]

Thanks everybody!

Comment

Working...
                            X