This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound in Thunderbird

I hope this isn't a duplicate. I searched but did not find anything useful for my issue.

I've installed KUbuntu 10.10 amd64, and so far, I'm really enjoying it. (I was a Fedora user for many years, but their latest release was causing me stability issues.) My only issue that I have been unable to solve is that I cannot get any sound from Thunderbird. None of the posts that I've found that are remotely related have been useful. I'm not even sure where to begin debugging the problem. Sound is working just fine in other applications, the KDE desktop, Kopete, Pidgin, etc. I just can't get Thunderbird to make any noise when a new email arrives - not even the default system sound.

Anyone have any good nuggets to help solve this problem?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Re: No sound in Thunderbird

I'm in the same boat with Thunderbird. I've been using it for a very long time but I've noticed that in newer versions, they eliminated the "system beep" when new mail arrives. I really miss that beep but I've yet to find any settings that allow me to turn that back on.

I can, however, instruct you how to tell Thunderbird to play a sound other than a "system beep" when new mail arrives. Preferences>general tab>select what file you want to play.

Doesn't do it for me because I don't always have my speakers on.
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Thanks for the information, but that's not the problem. I've already tried selecting several different sound files. They simply don't play. I never had this problem with Fedora. I just can't get it to work with KUbuntu 10.10 amd64. (I have not tried the 32-bit variant.)

Comment

It works just fine here, see:

http://www.youtube.com/v/KsB2pJGzmIQ?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1

Can you play the sound in thunderbird preferences?
        ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

No. That does not work.

Comment

Try with this wav file, put it anywhere in your home folder. FYI I'm using thunderbird v3.17 from mozilla website.
            ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

No, that wave file does not work, either.
              I'm using Thunderbird 3.1.7 as downloaded from the KUbuntu repository.

Comment

It appears that this is a known issue with (64-bit) thunderbird:
                https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist...new+mail+sound

Anyway, do you see any error on error console?

Comment

Interesting. No, there were no errors shown on the console.

In the interim, I uninstalled the 64-bit version and downloaded 3.1.7 from the Mozilla site. It seems to work. It's not exactly ideal, but it'll do for now.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
                  X