This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who starts skype?

Skype has an option "Start Skype minimized in the system tray". But how does that work? In other words, if I check it I would expect one of the startup files such as .profile to be modified accordingly, or for skype to be put on some kind of startup list.

I ask this question because of an odd problem that I've mostly solved: my webcam was upside down in the Skype video. Fixing it required preloading from the v4l library when starting skype. So I added a file /usr/local/bin/skype that does the preload and invokes /usr/bin/skype. That works just as I want it to if I call skype from the command line. But if I choose Skype's startup option, the preload doesn't happen and I get the upside-down image.

I could just modify /usr/bin/skype to do the right thing, I suppose. But the trouble with that is that I would lose the fix if I did an update on skype. So I'd like to intercept the startup some other way.

Re: Who starts skype?

modify the command to lode skype in the menu to point to your /usr/local/bin/skype as a test.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The menu command is correct

Originally posted by vinnywright
      modify the command to lode skype in the menu to point to your /usr/local/bin/skype as a test.
      The menu command works correctly, since the menu editor shows it to be skype, which resolves, as it should, to /usr/local/bin/skype.

Comment

Working...
      X