X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail 2 beta

Hi,

I don't know what other people's experiences are, but since I upgraded to KDE 4.6 Kmail's IMAP support actually appears to have got even worse. I'm now officially looking for a different mail client, but I'm dug in pretty seriously into Kontact and will find the move work-intensive (I have a big tree of local folders that incoming mails get filtered into, 1.1GB of mail to migrate and I'm no guru).

Has anyone tried the Kmail2 beta? Is it possible to try it alongside the currently packaged Kmail?

I can't seem to find much information that up-to-date through Google.

Re: Kmail 2 beta

Okay, some progress.

Thanks to Kubicle in this thread (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114831.0), I have a repository that has the beta:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa...mental/ubuntu/ natty main

The kmail component won't install at the moment due to broken dependencies (at least for me).

Not too surprisingly, you can't install kmail2 alongside kmail because of the different dependencies for each. A bunch of kdepim 4.5.94 did install (without kmail2), but once I removed each component and reinstalled kdepim 4.4.9 (which comes with KDE 4.6) all my mail and kontact settings were still there.

Might have another go.

Comment

That's the repository for natty (11.04). If you are running maverick, you'll probably want the maverick repository:
      (that should help with dependency problems, but kmail2 is just as experimental on maverick)

Comment

Thanks for the repo correction.

Do you know just how "experimental" kmail2 is? Is it "kind of usable beta"? Or is it more like "not for the faint-hearted"?

As it happens, since I complained in the post above kmail's imap operation seems to have improved markedly - possibly to do with crypto updates over the past couple of days, possibly because my own admins might have tweaked the server.

Comment

Originally posted by marek_online
          Do you know just how "experimental" kmail2 is? Is it "kind of usable beta"? Or is it more like "not for the faint-hearted"?
          I haven't really tried it enough to call that one...it installs and runs, but I haven't trusted it with my mail yet. Maybe someone else has and can offer an opinion.

Comment

Have you tried to use Kmail2 yet? Just wondering because I have been having intermittent problems with kmail since upgrading to KDE 4.6. Thinking about giving the beta a try. Let me know if you've had any luck.
            Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.<br />Joseph Campbell

Comment

Sorry, haven't tried kmail2 yet. As I mentioned, things have improved (somewhat) for me on the imap front, and things are a little crazy at work at the moment, so I don't feel I've the time to get into the inevitable messing around that giving it a test run would entail.

Maybe later in the month, or after Natty comes out.

If you give it a go yourself, I'd definitely be interested in hearing how it goes though.

Comment

Working...
              X