This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: broken synaptic/kpackage database

OK, I was able to locate in Adept how to turn that one source off, and then the package updater would update everything. I guess it sort of automatically removed eSingular because that's not there any more (esingular is the emacs interface for singular - that's the only think I use emacs for). Also the Cantor Singular backend is gone, so I guess singular is entirely removed from my system. I do see singular-libs is still installed, as is singular, though I don't seem to be able to run it. In the default repos, Cantor only has the kalgebra, sage, and maxima backends. It doesn't have a singular backend (though I understand sage uses singular). So I guess I was also getting the singular backend for Cantor from that repo. Hmmmm.... What to do?

Comment

Yep -- this tells the story:

singular-core:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 3.1.2-1
      Version table:
      3.1.2-1 0
      500 http://www.mathematik.uni-kl.de/~mschulze/repo/debian/ stable/Singular amd64 Packages
      So, the later version of singular, including your e-singular, were apparently pulled from that repo. But, it is a Debian stable repo, whereas *buntu is built on Debian testing.

I'm not sure there's a totally happy answer here.

If you will enable that repository, and disable all *buntu canonical repos, and then run

Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install singular
      you will get the latest and greatest singular, which I assume is what you need. After you do that, then disable (comment out) the ~mschultz repo, and re-enable all the canonical repos, and run

Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      There is a technique called "pinning", which I am barely familiar with, in which you can set the version number of a package to be maintained. After you have installed singular from your third party repo, and before you run dist-upgrade in Kubuntu, try this:

Code:
      sudo echo singular hold | dpkg --set-selections
      then you should be able to

Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      Code:
      sudo apt-get upgrade

and not have the problem with the *buntu singular package.

Maybe.

So it says here.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I'll think about it and try... Have a great weekend! Patricia

Comment

Working...
        X