This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: flash plug in

What about using the tar.gzip file from Adobe?

Comment

Originally posted by rogerduncan100
      What about using the tar.gzip file from Adobe?
      I did try that before re-installing Kubuntu. Didn't help.
      Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
      Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Can anyone explain this to me about Chrome?

I thought that Chrome shipped with its own Flash plug in so that it didn't have to worry about this stuff. Is that not the case any longer?

Comment

Why is it so darned hard to do certain things in Kubuntu that most distros do automatically? I noticed when I first installed it, it had Firefox Installer installed, not firefox. Trying to install Flash (which has been around a looooooong time) I see only Flash Installer available in the repos. I never could get Firefox Installer to work, now I can't get Flash installer to work. So, no movies in my Browsing Experience. I just spent 45 minutes following various different "recipes" for installing flash and all failed to let me view YouTube or Facebook things.

My friends are laughing at me and I'm about to jump ship to a distro that makes things easier (by installing Firefox, not Firefox Installer, and Flash, not Flash Installer, etc....). 10.10x64

Comment

Sorry for being grumpy in that last post. Still no flash tho

Comment

Well, flash 64 bit was working great for me for many months but whenever there is an update we Kubuntu users (Ubuntu, too, I think) have to wait. What we need is a .deb package for the newest 64 bit flash player. Adobe isn't offering it so we have to wait until someone who knows what they are doing creates one.

Adobe has a 32 bit .deb package but no 64 bit .deb package.

Comment

Does anyone know how you can turn a tag.gzip file into a .deb package?

Comment

Well, flash 64 bit was working great for me for many months but whenever there is an update we Kubuntu users (Ubuntu, too, I think) have to wait. What we need is a .deb package for the newest 64 bit flash player. Adobe isn't offering it so we have to wait until someone who knows what they are doing creates one.

Adobe has a 32 bit .deb package but no 64 bit .deb package.
                  What about ALIEN to change an .rpm into a .deb? Or is that just nuts?

Comment

There has got to be a workaround even if Adobe is abandoning Linux 64 bit for now which seems to be why my flashplayer suddenly stopped working a few days ago.

Comment

There has got to be a workaround even if Adobe is abandoning Linux 64 bit for now which seems to be why my flashplayer suddenly stopped working a few days ago.
                      So the 32-bit version of Flash won't work with 64-bit Linux? Looks to me that most 32-bit apps do work fine on 64-bit OS. I wonder if Flash is one of the exceptions.

In any case, the built-in Flash plugin for Chromium has been working fine for me since I re-installed Kubuntu (64-bit) last Friday. I do have all the latest updates installed.
                      Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
                      Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Hmm, thanks!

It's true that the 32 bit flash player will not work on 64 bit architecture. When I try to install the Debian .deb package for 32 bit on my 64 bit Kubuntu it will not install.

I guess what I am looking for is a way to get Flash working again without reinstalling my whole OS.

Comment

Hmm, thanks!

It's true that the 32 bit flash player will not work on 64 bit architecture. When I try to install the Debian .deb package for 32 bit on my 64 bit Kubuntu it will not install.

I guess what I am looking for is a way to get Flash working again without reinstalling my whole OS.
                          Doesn't MPlayer have a Firefox plugin that does everything flash does?
                          http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/
                          It doesn't seem to be in the K/Ubuntu repos, but it has always been in the OpenSuSE x64 repos.

I can watch videos with no problem on both my openSuSE 11.1 and 11.3 64-bit installs (I've used OpenSuSE x64 since 10.0 and had no trouble watching movies in Firefox). So I know it's not a 64-bit Linux limitation, per se - but it does appear to be something K/Ubuntu hasn't noodled-out yet. Maybe OpenSuSE has a better x32-to-x64 infrastructure than K/Ubuntu?

Comment

Hmm, thanks!

well i noticed when i reverted to the stable version

(screenshot form synaptic manager)

shown here not the other which kubuntu installs by default
                            it fixed my flash issue be sure to remove old version of chrome once you've put in the stable one of course saving your book marks/favorties
                            Attached Files

Comment

I tried installing the stable version from the repositories but no luck for me.

Comment

I've got a 64 bit PC and found a tar type file that might do it.

I've only used .deb files so any thoughts on how to install a tar file anyone?

Words one syllable cos I'm a dumbo at Bash commands.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X