This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dbus-daemon taking up 100% of CPU

I leave my machine up all the time. Probably every few days the CPU will be pegged at 100% (well, it's a quad-core, so one will be pegged for a while, then it will switch to another one, etc) If it matters, I'm running 64-bit.

top shows that it is dbus-daemon causing it. If I kill the offending process, things just stop responding. The only way to recover is to log out and log back in. Next time it happens I can get more info, but does anyone have any ideas? I've found other reports of this elsewhere, but no definitive solution. Seems this has been around a while

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1633222
    http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums....php?p=10297679

Re: dbus-daemon taking up 100% of CPU

I'm not sure whether things are related - but I get 42% of cpu usage with dbus-daemon (64bit, kde 4.6, intel dual core) when running the nepomukserver thread. If I close the nepomukserver process then I get dbus down less than 1 % cpu.

Not sure this helps,
    thx for reading,
    piedro

Comment

You can use dbus-monitor & ksystemlog to find out which process is spamming the dbus.
      ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Piedro: I have disabled nepomuk search (in both the System Settings > Desktop Search an in Startup and Shutdown > Service Manager).
        I did this a long time ago. Yet, it is still running. (?!) I don't want to kill it now, I want to wait and see if it is the cause when it happens again.

Ubuntuku: Thanks, I will keep those commands handy for the next time it happens.

Comment

Well, it happened again.. and dbus-monitor didn't help.

I killed /usr/bin/nepomukserver with no effect.

Then I saw this:

/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder --identifier akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder

Once I killed it, the screen quickly blanked, and the CPU returned to normal.

Then, I tried to start up System Settings to look around some more... and it wouldn't launch.. and the CPU issue came back! dbus-daemon again hogging the cpu. *sigh*

Comment

This morning my machine was at 100% CPU (for who knows how many hours)

These were both running again:
            /usr/bin/nepomukserver
            /usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder --identifier akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder

I killed them both.. but this time the CPU stayed pegged. I had to log out and log back in to fix it. I couldn't get any info that pointed me to anything in particular causing it.

Comment

I suggest you file a bug report.
              Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
              Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
              Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

I searched the current bugs, and found it already. I've added my comments.
                https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/680444

Comment

the community thanks you for searching first. we'll see what comes of it.
                  Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
                  Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
                  Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Working...
                  X