X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Update Watch Out!

Why do you have commented:

# deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ maverick partner
    Not sure why. In any event, uncommenting it does not fix the problem.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

At this point, I'm pretty sure the problem is connected with mesa packages.

I put the maverick-updates repository back in sources.list, and u/d-u threatens to remove just about everything. However, doing an "upgrade" works, but mentions it is holding back several mesa related packages.

I remember installing a mesa package at one point, that provides gallium support for nouveau, because I wanted to test that. I wound up removing nouveau afterward, but never did remove the mesa package. That is probably what is haunting the system now. I will have to research it and remove the relevant package, and see what happens.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd

I reinstalled the php5 packages, then it complained about ia32-libs, which I reinstalled, then I got the mess.
        ia32-libs has been a source of trouble in the past, to my personal and painful knowledge. What version to you have? Does your system need it? Can you remove it, then d-u, then reinstall it?

Comment

Why just you (or just me)?

I'm dealing with a very different problem -- Skype video test not working -- but the thing I have in common with your problem is that you see it and others don't. I wonder if there's some general approach to take to problems of that character. It doesn't seem to be hardware-related.

Comment

Skype on linux has always been a bit "iffy" for me, to be honest. For example, on my 32-bit Kubuntu 11.04 installation, I cannot get the audio right -- it has a choppy and chirpy distortion of some kind, probably a wrong codec being used. I've had much more luck running a guest Windows VM on my Linux system, and running Skype on that,.

As far as the webcam, I saw your other post and it looks like you're doing about all you can. If the camera works with cheese, then that tells you that it is set up correctly in the Linux OS -- correct driver in use. I would say there's some issue between Skype and Linux, on your system, and I'm not aware of anything you can do beyond send a report to the Skype developers, with hardware and system details.

I've used ekiga before, with some success, but of course it is not compatible with Skype so your colleague would have to use it too.

Comment

ia32-libs has been a source of trouble in the past, to my personal and painful knowledge. What version to you have? Does your system need it? Can you remove it, then d-u, then reinstall it?
              Well, here's what I have tried so far.

Removed the experimental gallium driver libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental.

Tried a u/du, got the message it would remove everything, but also the following:

Code:
              The following packages have been kept back:
               upstart
              The following packages will be upgraded:
               ia32-libs libgl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-glx mesa-common-dev
              So then I tried a u/upgrade, and get the following, without the threat of removing the entire system:

Code:
              The following packages have been kept back:
               ia32-libs libgl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-glx mesa-common-dev skype upstart
              OK, so the problem is with one or more of those packages. Ignoring skype for the moment (which IS always problematic), I guess the next thing to do is take each one of those, and remove and reinstall.

Will report back with the results.

Comment

I think we are getting closer here.

I manually installed all of the mesa and ia-32 packages upgrade wanted to hold, went through with no problem.

I started in on the list of packages that dist-upgrade wants to install, and right away hit on some conflicts. Dist-upgrade wants to install the following new packages:

Code:
                The following NEW packages will be installed:
                 clamav-data console-tools erlang-base-hipe gs libavdevice-extra-52 libavfilter-extra-1
                 libclutter-eglx-es20-1.0-0 libconsole libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-drivers libgd-gd2-noxpm-perl libgd2-noxpm
                 libgles2-mesa libgpod4-nogtk librcc0 librcd0 libxcb-xfixes0
                All of these packages want to remove things already on the system. clamav-data wants to pull out all of the clamav packages already there. console-tools replaces package util-linux, which has non-trivial stuff in it (init, dmesg, other things), and, by the way, wants to remove all of xorg in the process.

Something is wrong here -- for some reason, apt is trying to install software that is not on the system, and remove stuff that is on the system. My guess is that there is a meta-package somewhere that is doing this.

So here is the question: How do I trace out, using apt or synaptic (but NOT aptitude), what package or metapackage is pulling in these packages I do not have/want/need/use, that are trying to displace the stuff already on the system?

Edit: and here is the real kicker -- muon basically wants to do the same things as apt-get, but synaptic wants to do an update, to many of the packages that apt-get wants to remove, but only remove skype-common. Why would synaptic be doing things "right", and the others messing up? We'll soon know -- nothing to lose by trying it.

Comment

We are done with this.

As I said in my previous post, apt-get and muon both threaten to remove most of my system. Synaptic offered to upgrade about 200mb of stuff, removing only part of skype.

So I did That-Which-Should-Never-Be-Done: I did the upgrade via Synaptic. It went through fine, the system works, and after a reboot, update/dist-upgrade in apt-get is clear.

Don't ask me why, I don't know. This thing is eventually going to drive me SANE!!

Edit: Maybe I should post this over on aptosid?? (heh heh)

Comment

Working...
                  X