This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Update Watch Out!

Did a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get -d dist-upgrade this morning; good thing I used the -d option. It is threatening to remove about 1/4 of my system, including most xorg packages (this IS maverick, not natty).

Tried blocking the backport, beta, experimental, xswat and xorg-edgers ppas, did not help.

Looks like a couple of mesa package updates might be responsible, though placing holds on them didn't help. Also noticed upstart is on the "not upgraded" list, that could also be a problem.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this?
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Update Watch Out!

Do you think maybe you have a virus? I just checked and the only updats I have are for a program called subversion (non official). When's the last time you updated?
    Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Comment

I would doubt there is a virus; rkhunter finds nothing.
      Did an update/dist-upgrade yesterday, no problems.

I did notice one strange thing:
      When I first ran the update/d-u this morning, I got an error message I haven't seen before.
      It said it couldn't calculate the upgrade because of a problem with php5, and some unsatisfied dependencies that couldn't be resolved. I did a manual reinstall on one of them (php5-fpm), and the u/d-u again. This time it complained about ia32-libs, which I also reinstalled.
      In both cases, it said the problem might be packages on hold. The only package on hold is mono-runtime, to keep it off the system. I did try removing the hold on it, but that didn't fix it.

After reinstalling ia32-libs, it's making this noise about removing most of the xorg packages, and everything that depends on them (which is a big part of the system). I can't figure out which package might be causing that.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Some additional info:

I tried an apt-get install --reinstall upstart, since it is apparently being held back for some reason.
        This is the error message I got:

Code:
        greenman@Wolfenstein:~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall upstart
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree    
        Reading state information... Done
        Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
        requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
        distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
        or been moved out of Incoming.
        The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
         debconf : Depends: debconf-i18n but it is not going to be installed or
                  debconf-english but it is not going to be installed
              PreDepends: perl-base (>= 5.6.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
              Recommends: apt-utils (>= 0.5.1) but it is not going to be installed
         ghostscript : Depends: libgs8 (= 8.71.dfsg.2-0ubuntu7) but it is not going to be installed
                Depends: debianutils (>= 1.6) but it is not going to be installed
         ghostscript-x : Depends: libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libpaper1 but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libsm6 but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libxext6 but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libxt6 but it is not going to be installed
         libschroedinger-1.0-0 : Depends: liborc-0.4-0 (>= 0.4.6) but it is not going to be installed
         libsdl1.2debian : Depends: libsdl1.2debian-alsa (= 1.2.14-6ubuntu3) but it is not going to be installed or
                      libsdl1.2debian-all (= 1.2.14-6ubuntu3) but it is not going to be installed or
                      libsdl1.2debian-esd (= 1.2.14-6ubuntu3) but it is not going to be installed or
                      libsdl1.2debian-oss (= 1.2.14-6ubuntu3) but it is not going to be installed or
                      libsdl1.2debian-nas (= 1.2.14-6ubuntu3) but it is not going to be installed or
                      libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio (= 1.2.14-6ubuntu3) but it is not going to be installed
         libtheora0 : Depends: libogg0 (>= 1.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
         libvorbis0a : Depends: libogg0 (>= 1.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
         libvorbisenc2 : Depends: libogg0 (>= 1.0rc3) but it is not going to be installed
         libx11-6 : Depends: libxcb1 (>= 1.2) but it is not going to be installed
         sun-java6-bin : Depends: sun-java6-jre (>= 6.21dlj-0ubuntu1~maverick1~ppa1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: unixodbc but it is not going to be installed
                 Recommends: libasound2
                 Recommends: libxext6 but it is not going to be installed
                 Recommends: libxi6 but it is not going to be installed
                 Recommends: libxt6 but it is not going to be installed
                 Recommends: libxtst6 but it is not going to be installed
                 Recommends: libnss-mdns but it is not going to be installed
         upstart : Depends: libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.2.16) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: libnih-dbus1 (>= 1.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: libnih1 (>= 1.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: libudev0 (>= 151) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: sysvinit-utils but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: sysv-rc but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: initscripts but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: mountall but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: ifupdown (>= 0.6.8ubuntu29)
              Breaks: libc6 (< 2.12.1-0ubuntu10.2) but 2.12.1-0ubuntu10.1 is to be installed
        E: Broken packages
        I'm really perplexed about what is going on here. If this is just a stuff-isn't-in-the-repository-yet problem, then others should be getting it, too. But no one else seems to be reporting the problem here, or on the ubuntu forums.

Comment

I'm only running 11.04 now, but it sounds as if you might have a "non-standard" repo, maybe, which is pulling in packages that are either earlier or later versions that 10.10. You might try commenting out all the repos that are not canonical's repos for 10.10, and update and then see what you get.

Comment

That's possible - I have a lot of non-standard ppas, but I think only xswat and edgers install x packages. Nonetheless, that's a good place to start, and I will try that.

Be forewarned, though -- I just did a u/d-u on natty, and it's threatening the same problem. I was expecting that, given the transition to xorg-1.10. But now is not the time to update there, either.

Comment

Oh well --

I tried removing ALL of the ppas, everything in sources.list.d, along with commenting out maverick-proposed and maverick-backports in sources.list. All that's there is the basic stuff. Doing an update, and then a -d dist-upgrade, still wants to remove just about all of xorg, and nearly 2000 other packages (most of the system).

Now I'm really stumped. I wonder if apt itself is corrupted, and if so, how and what to do about it.

Comment

OK further info:

Removing this line from sources.list solves the problem of removing the entire system:

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates main restricted

but that's a standard canonical repository!! Well maybe wait a few days. But why is no one else seeing this?

Comment

nope, I just updated 2 Maverick boxes today and got just a few things as far as I remember - no problems at all.

Comment

Then something here is seriously messed up. Here is what I get:
                    -------------------------------------

greenman@Wolfenstein:~$ sudo apt-get -d dist-upgrade
                    Building dependency tree
                    Calculating upgrade... Done
                    The following packages will be REMOVED:
                    a2ps abakus abiword abiword-plugin-grammar abiword-plugin-mathview abiword-plugins acetoneiso acidrip
                    aconnectgui acpi-support add-apt-key afterstep aisleriot akonadiconsole akregator alacarte alien
                    alsa-tools-gui alsamixergui alsaplayer-common alsaplayer-esd amarok anacron anjuta apache2
                    apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-suexec apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2.2-common apcalc apparmor-utils
                    appmenu-gtk apport-gtk apport-kde apport-qt apt-file apt-rdepends apt-show-versions apt-transport-https
                    apt-xapian-index aptdaemon aptitude aptoncd aptsh apturl-kde aqbanking-tools aqsis arista ark audacious
                    audacious-plugins audacity audex automoc autopsy avahi-daemon avahi-utils avidemux-plugins-common
                    avidemux-plugins-gtk avidemux-plugins-qt awesome axe barcode basket bb bc bind9-host biniax2 black-box
                    bleachbit blender blt bluedevil bluefish bluetooth bluez bluez-alsa bluez-cups bluez-gstreamer bluez-utils
                    bookwrite brasero brasero-cdrkit bubblemon bubbros build-essential byobu bzip2 caca-utils calibre
                    cameramonitor catfish cdcover cdebootstrap cdparanoia cdrdao cecilia celestia celestia-gnome celestia-kde
                    checkbox-gtk cheese chkrootkit cifer cinelerra cinelerrasv-smp clamav-base clamav-daemon clamav-freshclam
                    clamav-getfiles clamfs clamtk clementine clicompanion cm-super-minimal cm-super-x11 cmake cmake-curses-gui
                    cmake-qt-gui compiz compiz-gnome compiz-kde compizconfig-backend-kconfig computer-janitor-gtk computertemp
                    conky-all console-setup contact-lookup-applet convertall couchdb-bin cpp-4.3 criticalmass cron cryptkeeper
                    cryptsetup csladspa csound csound-gui csound-utils cups cups-driver-gutenprint cups-pdf cups-ppdc cupsddk
                    curl darktable deadbeef debhelper debian-goodies debootstrap debtags default-jre desktop-effects-kde
                    desktop-file-utils desktopcouch devede devtodo dhelp digikam dirvish disc-cover djvulibre-bin dkms dmraid
                    dmsetup dnsutils docbook-utils dolphin dosbox dpkg-dev dragbox dragonplayer dssi-example-plugins dvd+rw-tools
                    dvdrip dvdstyler dvgrab dvipng dvr earcandy easytag ecasound ecryptfs-utils efax ekiga electricsheep elinks
                    emma empathy enblend encfs enfuse enscribe enscript eog epiphany-browser ept-cache erlang-base erlang-crypto
                    erlang-inets erlang-public-key erlang-ssl esci-interpreter-gt-f720 esound-clients espeak evince evolution
                    evolution-data-server evolution-exchange evolution-indicator evolution-plugins evolution-plugins-experimental
                    evolution-rss exaile exiv2 feh fenix festival fetchyahoo feynmf ffado-dbus-server ffado-mixer-qt4 ffado-tools
                    ffmpeg fftw2 file-browser-applet file-roller filezilla firebird2.1-classic flamerobin flashplugin-installer
                    flashplugin-nonfree fldigi flegita-gimp flphoto fluid fontmatrix fonttools fontypython foo2zjs
                    foomatic-db-compressed-ppds foomatic-db-engine foomatic-filters fp-units-gnome1 fp-units-gtk
                    fp-units-multimedia fpc freecycle freepops freepops-updater-fltk frei0r-plugins frozen-bubble fsarchiver
                    fuse-utils fusecompress fusefat fuseiso fuseiso9660 fusesmb fusion-icon g++ g++-4.4 galan gambas2
                    gambas2-gb-chart gambas2-gb-db gambas2-gb-db-firebird gambas2-gb-db-form gambas2-gb-db-mysql
                    gambas2-gb-db-odbc gambas2-gb-db-postgresql gambas2-gb-db-sqlite3 gambas2-gb-desktop gambas2-gb-form
                    gambas2-gb-form-dialog gambas2-gb-form-mdi gambas2-gb-gui gambas2-gb-net-curl gambas2-gb-qt gambas2-gb-qt-ext
                    gambas2-gb-qt-kde gambas2-gb-qt-kde-html gambas2-gb-qt-opengl gambas2-gb-report gambas2-gb-sdl
                    gambas2-gb-sdl-sound gambas2-ide gcc-4.3 gcc-4.4-multilib gcc-mingw32 gcc-multilib gcdmaster gconf-editor
                    gdal-bin gdb gdebi gdebi-kde gdm gdm-guest-session gedit-plugins geeqie gegl gem gemrb genisoimage genius
                    genius-common geoip-bin getlive gettext gettext-base gfortran gfortran-4.4 gfortran-4.4-multilib
                    gfortran-multilib ghostscript-cups giblib1 gimagereader gimp gimp-dds gimp-gap gimp-gluas gimp-gmic
                    gimp-gutenprint gimp-resynthesizer gimp-save-for-web gimp-texturize gimp-ufraw gimp2.0-quiteinsane
                    gir1.0-nautilus-1.0 git-gui gitk gjots2 gkrellm-hdplop gkrellmss gksu glabels glame glchess glines glob2 glom
                    gmic gmountiso gnect gnibbles gnobots2 gnomad2 gnome-about gnome-accessibility-themes gnome-applets gnome-art
                    gnome-bluetooth gnome-codec-install gnome-color-manager gnome-control-center gnome-dictionary
                    gnome-disk-utility gnome-doc-utils gnome-games gnome-games-common gnome-genius gnome-keyring gnome-mag
                    gnome-mahjongg gnome-media gnome-menus gnome-netstatus-applet gnome-nettool gnome-network-admin gnome-orca
                    gnome-panel gnome-power-manager gnome-schedule gnome-screensaver gnome-session gnome-settings-daemon
                    gnome-shell gnome-splashscreen-manager gnome-sudoku gnome-swallow-applet gnome-system-tools gnome-terminal
                    gnome-themes gnome-themes-extras gnome-themes-more gnome-themes-selected gnome-themes-ubuntu gnome-user-guide
                    gnome-user-guide-en gnome-user-share gnome-utils gnome-web-photo gnome3-session gnomebaker gnomine gnotravex
                    gnotski gnu-fdisk gnucash gnucash-docs gnumeric gnumeric-plugins-extra gnupg-agent gnupg2 gnuplot gnuplot-nox
                    gnuplot-x11 gnusound god goollie goplay gozer gpa gpac gparted gpgsm gphoto2 gphotofs gqview granatier
                    graphicsmagick graphviz grsync grub-common grub-pc gscan2pdf gsmartcontrol gstm gstreamer0.10-esd
                    gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
                    gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-x gtali gtg gtk2-engines
                    gtk2-ex-formfactory-perl gtkam gtkam-gimp gtkorphan gufw gui-apt-key gummi guvcview gv gvfs-backends
                    gvfs-fuse gweled gwenrename gwibber gwibber-service gxine gxineplugin hal handbrake-gtk hardinfo hdup hotssh
                    hpijs hpijs-ppds hplip hplip-cups hplip-gui ia32-libs ia32-sun-java6-bin iagno icedtea6-plugin icewm
                    icewm-experimental ifreebudget ijsgutenprint ijsgutenprint-ppds imagej imgseek indicator-applet
                    indicator-applet-session indicator-application indicator-appmenu indicator-datetime indicator-me
                    indicator-messages indicator-session indicator-sound ink-generator inkscape install-package intel-gpu-tools
                    intltool intltool-debian iscan itcl3 itk3 iwidgets4 jackeq jadetex jhead jnetmap jnettop jockey-common
                    jockey-gtk jockey-kde jovie juk k3b k9copy kaddressbook kaffeine kajongg kalarm kalgebra kallery kamera
                    kamoso karbon kasablanca kate kayali kball kbd kbib kbibtex kblogger kblogger-kde4 kbluetooth
                    kcachegrind-converters kchart kcron kdbg kde-config-cron kde-config-phonon-xine kde-l10n-engb
                    kde-printer-applet kde-window-manager kdeadmin kdeartwork kdebase-workspace kdebase-workspace-bin
                    kdebase-workspace-dev kdegames kdegraphics kdelibs4c2a kdelibs5 kdelibs5-dev kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
                    kdenlive kdepasswd kdepim kdepim-groupware kdepim-kresources kdepim-wizards kdepimlibs5 kdeplasma-addons
                    kdessh kdesvn kdesvn-kio-plugins kdeutils kdevelop kdevelop-php kdevelop-php-docs kdevplatform3-libs kdiff3
                    kdirstat kdissert kdm kdm-gdmcompat keep kepas kexi keychain keytouch kfind kformula kget kgraphviewer
                    kgrubeditor kid3 kid3-qt kinfocenter kino kipi-plugins kjots klamav kleansweep klinkstatus-kde4 kmail kmouth
                    kmyfirewall kmymoney kmymoney2 kmysqladmin knm-runtime knmap knode knotes koffice koffice-libs kolourpaint4
                    konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-plugin-adblock konqueror-plugin-akregator konqueror-plugin-autorefresh
                    konqueror-plugin-babelfish konqueror-plugin-crashes konqueror-plugin-dirfilter konqueror-plugin-domtreeviewer
                    konqueror-plugin-fsview konqueror-plugin-imagerotation konqueror-plugin-khtmlsettings
                    konqueror-plugin-kimgallery konqueror-plugin-minitools konqueror-plugin-rellinks konqueror-plugin-uachanger
                    konqueror-plugin-validators konqueror-plugin-webarchiver konqueror-plugins kontact konversation kooka kopete
                    kopete-facebook kopete-gcall kopete-message-indicator kopete-plugin-otr-kde4 korganizer kover kpackagekit
                    kpartx kplato kppp kpresenter krecipes kremotecontrol krita kscd kscreensaver kscreensaver-xsavers
                    kscreensaver-xsavers-extra kscreensaver-xsavers-webcollage kshutdown kspread kstreamripper kthesaurus
                    ktimetracker ktorrent kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-firefox-installer kubuntu-notification-helper kuser kvkbd kvpnc
                    kwalletcli kwave kweather kwin-effect-beclock kwin-effect-bedropped kwin-effect-befaded
                    kwin-effect-bemeasured kwin-effect-bereflected kwin-effect-beshadowed kwin-effect-nightmode kwin-style-bespin
                    kwin-style-crystal kwin-style-dekorator kwin-style-qtcurve kwin-style-skulpture kwin-style-smaragd
                    kwin4-style-bespin kword kxsldbg kzenexplorer landscape-common language-pack-en language-pack-en-base
                    language-pack-gnome-en language-pack-gnome-en-base language-pack-kde-en language-pack-kde-en-base
                    language-selector language-selector-qt latex-beamer latex-xcolor less lib32asound2-dev lib32bz2-1.0 lib32gcc1
                    lib32gfortran3 lib32gomp1 lib32ncurses5 lib32nss-mdns lib32stdc++6 lib32v4l-0 lib32v4l-dev lib32z1
                    liba52-0.7.4 liba52-0.7.4-dev libabiword-2.8 libaccess-bridge-java libaccess-bridge-java-jni
                    libakonadi-contact4 libaldmb1 liballegro4.2 liballegro4.2-plugin-jack libalut0 libao4 libapache2-mod-apparmor
                    libapache2-mod-auth-mysql libapache2-mod-auth-openid libapache2-mod-auth-pam libapache2-mod-auth-pgsql
                    libapache2-mod-auth-plain libapache2-mod-php5 libappindicator0 libapr1 libaprutil1 libaprutil1-dbd-mysql
                    libaprutil1-ldap libapt-pkg-perl libaqbanking-plugins-libgwenhywfar47 libaqbanking20 libaqbanking29
                    libaqbanking29-plugins libaqbanking29-plugins-qt libaqbanking29-plugins-qt4 libaqhbci16 libaqhbci17
                    libaqofxconnect5 libaqsis1 libart2-ruby1.8 libasound2-plugins libass3 libass4 libatk1-ruby1.8 libatk1.0-dev
                    libatlas3gf-base libaubio2 libaudiofile-dev libavahi-glib-dev libavahi-qt3-1 libavc1394-0 libavdevice52
                    libavfilter1 libavifile-0.7c2 libbabl-0.0-0 libbind9-50 libbind9-60 libblas3gf libbluetooth3 libbonobo2-dev
                    libbonoboui2-dev libboost-filesystem1.42.0 libboost-system1.42.0 libboost-wave1.42.0 libbrasero-media1
                    libc6-dev-i386 libcaca-dev libcairo-perl libcairo-ruby libcairo-ruby1.8 libcairo2-dev libcanberra-gtk-module
                    libcanberra-pulse libcdio-cdda0 libcdio-paranoia0 libcdio10 libcdt4 libcegui-mk2-1 libcgraph5 libcinelerra
                    libclanapp-1.0 libclansdl-1.0 libcln6 libclutter-1.0-0 libcommandline-ruby1.8 libcsnd5.1 libcsound64-5.1
                    libcsound64-5.2 libcsoundac5.1 libcucul0 libcupscgi1 libcupsdriver1 libcupsmime1 libcupsppdc1 libcurl3
                    libcv2.1 libcvaux2.1 libdb-ruby1.8 libdbd-mysql-perl libdbus-glib-1-dev libdca-dev libdca0 libdcerpc0
                    libdebian-package-make-perl libdevhelp-1-1 libdirectfb-1.2-9 libdirectfb-dev libdirectfb-extra libdns53
                    libdns64 libdns66 libdts-dev libdvdnav4 libebackend1.2-0 libebook1.2-9 libecal1.2-7 libedata-book1.2-2
                    libedata-cal1.2-6 libedata-cal1.2-7 libedataserverui1.2-8 libedit2 libelf1 libenchant-dev libept1 libesd0-dev
                    libespeak1 libestools2.0 libevdocument2 libevdocument3 libevolution libevview2 libevview3 libexempi3
                    libexif-gtk-dev libffado-dev libffado0 libffado1 libffado2 libfftw3-3 libfftw3-dev libfinance-quote-perl
                    libflowcanvas3 libfltk1.1 libfltk1.1-dev libfolks-telepathy0 libfolks0 libfreebob0 libfuse2 libgai0
                    libgail-dev libgconf2-dev libgconf2-ruby libgconf2-ruby1.8 libgd-gd2-perl libgd-securityimage-perl libgd2-xpm
                    libgda-4.0-postgres libgda3-bin libgdal1-1.6.0 libgdata-google1.2-1 libgdata1.2-1 libgdata6 libgdata7
                    libgdk-pixbuf2-ruby1.8 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev libgee2 libgegl-0.0-0 libgensec0 libgeoip1 libgettext-ruby1.8
                    libgfortran3 libggi-target-x libggi2 libgimp2.0 libgimp2.0-dev libgksu2-0 libglade2-ruby libglade2-ruby1.8
                    libglib-perl libglib2-ruby1.8 libglib2.0-bin libglib2.0-dev libgnome-keyring-dev libgnome-menu2
                    libgnome-window-settings1 libgnome2-canvas-perl libgnome2-dev libgnome2-gconf-perl libgnome2-perl
                    libgnome2-ruby libgnome2-ruby1.8 libgnome2-vfs-perl libgnome2-wnck-perl libgnomecanvas2-dev
                    libgnomecanvas2-ruby1.8 libgnomekbd4 libgnomescan0 libgnomeui-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libgnomevfs2-extra
                    libgoffice-0.8-8 libgoo-canvas-perl libgpgme++2 libgpgme11 libgpgme11-dev libgphoto2-2 libgphoto2-port0
                    libgpod4 libgraph4 libgraphicsmagick++3 libgraphicsmagick1 libgraphicsmagick3 libgraphite3 libgsf-1-114
                    libgstfarsight0.10-0 libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libgtk2-ex-formfactory-perl
                    libgtk2-ex-podviewer-perl libgtk2-ex-simple-list-perl libgtk2-gladexml-perl libgtk2-imageview-perl
                    libgtk2-perl libgtk2-ruby libgtk2-ruby1.8 libgtk2-trayicon-perl libgtk2.0-dev libgtkhtml-editor0
                    libgtkhtml2-dev libgtkhtml3.14-dev libgtkspell-dev libgtkspell0 libgvc5 libgvpr1 libgweather1 libgwenhywfar47
                    libgwibber0 libhdf5-serial-1.8.4 libhighgui2.1 libhk-classes-mysql libhpmud0 libhtml-format-perl
                    libhtml-lint-perl libhtml-tableextract-perl libhyphen0 libid3tag0 libidl-dev libiec61883-0 libijs-0.35
                    libimlib2 libindicate-gtk2 libindicate-qt0 libindicate4 libisc60 libisccc60 libisccfg50 libisccfg60
                    libiso9660-7 libjack-dev libjpeg-progs libk3b6 libk3b6-extracodecs libkastencontrollers4 libkastencore4
                    libkastengui4 libkcddb4 libkde4-ruby libkde4-ruby1.8 libkdecorations4 libkdepim4 libkephal4a libkexiv2-7
                    libkholidays4 libkimproxy4 libkleo4 libknewstuff2-4 libknotificationitem1 libkonq5a libkontactinterface4
                    libkopete4 libkpimidentities4 libkpimtextedit4 libkrossui4 libksane0 libkwineffects1a libkworkspace4
                    liblancelot0 liblapack3gf libldb0 liblircclient0 liblocale-ruby1.8 liblua50 liblualib50 liblzo2-2 libmad0
                    libmad0-dev libmagickcore3-extra libmailutils2 libmediastreamer0 libmessagelist4 libmikmod2
                    libmission-control-plugins0 libmjpegtools-1.9 libmlt++3 libmlt2 libmodplug-dev libmodplug1 libmpcdec6
                    libmpeg3-1 libmpeg3sv-smp libmpich1.0gf libmtp8 libmuonprivate1 libmusicbrainz3-6 libmysqlcppconn4
                    libmythes-1.2-0 libnautilus-extension1 libndr-standard0 libndr0 libneon27-gnutls libnet-dbus-perl libnetcdf6
                    libnm-glib0 libnm-glib2 libnm-util1 libnotify-dev libnss-mdns libofa0 libogmrip1 liboil0.3 liboil0.3-dev
                    liboktetakastencontrollers4 liboktetakastencore4 liboktetakastengui4 liboobs-1-5 libopal3.6.4 libopal3.6.6
                    libopal3.6.8 libopen4-ruby1.8 libopenal-dev libopenal1 libopenal1-dbg libopkele3 liborbit2-dev
                    libpackagekit-glib2-14 libpackagekit-qt-14 libpanel-applet2-0 libpanel-applet2-ruby libpanel-applet2-ruby1.8
                    libpango-perl libpango1-ruby1.8 libpango1.0-dev libpaper-utils libparse-debianchangelog-perl libparted0
                    libpcap0.8 libpci3 libpciaccess-dev libpciaccess0 libperl5.10 libphonon-dev libpisock9 libplasma-ruby
                    libplasma-ruby1.8 libplasmaclock4b libplasmagenericshell4 libpolkit-gtk-1-0 libpoppler-glib5 libportaudio2
                    libportaudiocpp0 libpowerdevilcore0 libpq5 libpqxx-3.0 libproxy0 libpth-dev libpth20 libpulse-dev
                    libpulsecore9 libpurple0 libq4banking1 libqalculate5 libqapt-runtime libqapt0 libqapt1 libqbanking6
                    libqbanking8 libqedje0a libqgpgme1 libqimageblitz4 libqt3-mt-mysql libqt4-core libqt4-dev libqt4-help
                    libqt4-opengl-dev libqt4-ruby1.8 libqt4-scripttools libqt4-sql-psql libqt4-test libqtscript4-core
                    libqtscript4-gui libqtscript4-network libqtscript4-opengl libqtscript4-phonon libqtscript4-qtbindings
                    libqtscript4-sql libqtscript4-svg libqtscript4-uitools libqtscript4-webkit libqtscript4-xml
                    libqtscript4-xmlpatterns libqtwebkit-dev libquicktime1 libquicktimesv-smp libqzion0a librarian0 libregistry0
                    libreoffice libreoffice-base libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-calc libreoffice-common libreoffice-core
                    libreoffice-draw libreoffice-emailmerge libreoffice-filter-binfilter libreoffice-filter-mobiledev
                    libreoffice-gnome libreoffice-gtk libreoffice-impress libreoffice-java-common libreoffice-kde
                    libreoffice-math libreoffice-mysql-connector libreoffice-pdfimport libreoffice-report-builder
                    libreoffice-report-builder-bin libreoffice-sdbc-postgresql libreoffice-style-andromeda
                    libreoffice-style-crystal libreoffice-style-galaxy libreoffice-style-oxygen libreoffice-style-tango
                    libreoffice-writer librpc-xml-perl librpm0 librpm1 librpmbuild0 librpmbuild1 librpmio0 librpmio1
                    librubberband2 libruby libruby1.8 libsamba-hostconfig0 libsamba-util0 libsamplerate0 libsamplerate0-dev
                    libsane libsane-hpaio libsane-perl libsdl-image1.2 libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2 libsdl-perl
                    libsdl-sound1.2 libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl1.2-dev libseed0 libshout3 libslp1 libslv2-9 libsmpeg0 libsnmp15
                    libsolidcontrol4a libsoup-gnome2.4-1 libsox-fmt-all libsox-fmt-alsa libsox-fmt-ao libsox-fmt-base
                    libsox-fmt-ffmpeg libsox-fmt-mp3 libsox-fmt-oss libsox-fmt-pulse libsox1b libspectre1 libspeexdsp1
                    libsqlite3-ruby libsqlite3-ruby1.8 libstdc++6-4.4-dev libsvn1 libsvnqt6 libtaskmanager4b
                    libtelepathy-farsight0 libtelepathy-glib0 libtelepathy-logger1 libtevent0 libtext-format-ruby1.8
                    libthunar-vfs-1-2 libtidy-0.99-0 libtotem-plparser17 libtunepimp5 libtunepimp5-mp3 libtuxcap1 libtuxcap4.0
                    libtwolame0 libumfpack5.4.0 libunity0 libvcdinfo0 libvips15 libvisual-0.4-plugins libvlc5 libvlccore4 libvte9
                    libwavpack1 libwebkit-1.0-2 libwebservice-musicbrainz-perl libwmf-bin libwmf0.2-7 libwmf0.2-7-gtk libwv-1.2-3
                    libwv2-1c2 libwww-mechanize-perl libwxbase2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxsvg0 libxapian15 libxcb-icccm1
                    libxcb-image0 libxcb-property1 libxfontp1 libxine1 libxine1-all-plugins libxine1-bin libxine1-console
                    libxine1-ffmpeg libxine1-gnome libxine1-misc-plugins libxine1-plugins libxine1-x libxkbfile-dev libxkbfile1
                    libxklavier12 libxklavier15 libxklavier16 libxml-parser-perl libxml-rss-perl libxml-twig-perl
                    libxml-xpath-perl libxmlrpc-c3 libxmlrpc-c3-dev libxmlrpc-core-c3 libxmlrpc-core-c3-dev libxvmc1 lifeograph
                    lightsoff linux-source-2.6.35 lirc live-build live-helper live-magic livecd-rootfs lives locales logrotate
                    lshw lshw-gtk ltrace luckybackup luminance lxappearance lxde lxterminal lzop mail-notification
                    mail-notification-evolution mailutils man-db maxima maxima-share mazeofgalious mcrypt medussa melt mencoder
                    menu midori mikmod mindi mjpegtools mkvtoolnix mondo moodbar motif-clients motion mountmanager mousetweaks
                    movixmaker-2 mozilla-plugin-vlc mp32ogg mp3burn mp3c mp3cd mpage mpeg3-utils mpg321 mplayer mplayer-fonts
                    mplayerthumbs mtp-tools mtpfs muon muon-notifier muon-updater muse mypaint mysql-admin mysql-client-5.1
                    mysql-navigator mysql-query-browser mysql-server mysql-server-5.1 nautilus nautilus-actions nautilus-clamscan
                    nautilus-filename-repairer nautilus-gksu nautilus-image-converter nautilus-open-terminal
                    nautilus-scripts-manager nautilus-sendto nautilus-sendto-empathy nautilus-share nautilus-wallpaper netpbm
                    network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-kde network-manager-pptp network-manager-pptp-gnome
                    network-manager-pptp-kde nexuiz nfs-common nip2 nmap normalize-audio notify-osd nspluginwrapper ntfs-3g
                    ntfs-config ntfsprogs ntop nvidia-common nvidia-current nvidia-settings obex-data-server obexd-client
                    odbc-postgresql oggconvert ogmrip ogmrip-ac3 ogmrip-dirac ogmrip-doc ogmrip-mpeg ogmrip-oggz ogmrip-profiles
                    ogmrip-video-copy oinkmaster okteta okular onboard open-invaders openalchemist openjdk-6-jdk openjdk-6-jre
                    openmovieeditor openshot openshot-doc opensonic openssh-client openssh-server openssl-blacklist opera oxine
                    packagekit packagekit-backend-apt packagekit-backend-aptcc packagekit-backend-smart packagesearch
                    padevchooser page-crunch pandora paprefs parted partimage partitionmanager patch patchage patchutils pciutils
                    pdf2djvu pdf2svg pdfcube pdfjam perlmagick pessulus pgadmin3 pgagent pgdesigner pgf pgsnap phatch phatch-cli
                    phatch-nautilus phonon-backend-vlc phonon-backend-xine php-auth php-benchmark php-config php-db php-pear php5
                    php5-auth-pam php5-cgi php5-cli php5-common php5-ffmpeg php5-fpm php5-gd php5-idn php5-imagick php5-interbase
                    php5-ldap php5-mcrypt php5-mysql php5-odbc php5-pgsql php5-ps php5-pspell php5-recode php5-snmp php5-sqlite
                    php5-suhosin php5-sybase php5-tidy php5-xsl phpmyadmin phppgadmin phpreports phpsysinfo phpunit phpwebcounter
                    phpwebcounter-extra phpwiki pia pidgin pidgin-bot-sentry pidgin-encryption pidgin-extprefs
                    pidgin-guifications pidgin-libnotify pidgin-musictracker pidgin-openpgp pidgin-otr pidgin-plugin-pack
                    pidgin-privacy-please pidgin-skype pidgin-skype-dbg pidgin-themes pingus pitivi pixbros
                    plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-desktop plasma-netbook plasma-runners-addons plasma-scriptengine-python
                    plasma-scriptengine-qedje plasma-scriptengine-ruby plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba plasma-scriptengines
                    plasma-wallpapers-addons plasma-widget-adjustableclock plasma-widget-drive-io-monitor plasma-widget-facebook
                    plasma-widget-folderview plasma-widget-googlecalendar plasma-widget-kepas plasma-widget-lancelot
                    plasma-widget-message-indicator plasma-widget-pgame plasma-widget-quickaccess plasma-widget-runcommand
                    plasma-widget-smooth-tasks plasma-widget-toggle-compositing plasma-widgets-addons plasma-widgets-workspace
                    plasmoid-toggle-compositing plymouth-label plymouth-theme-fade-in plymouth-theme-glow
                    plymouth-theme-kubuntu-logo plymouth-theme-kubuntu-text plymouth-theme-script plymouth-theme-solar
                    plymouth-theme-spinfinity plymouth-theme-text plymouth-theme-ubuntu-logo plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text
                    plymouth-x11 pm-utils po-debconf polkit-kde-1 poppler-utils pornview portaudio19-dev postgresql
                    postgresql-8.4 postgresql-client postgresql-client-8.4 postgresql-contrib postgresql-contrib-8.4
                    postgresql-plperl-8.4 postgresql-plpython-8.4 ppa-purge ppp pppconfig pppoeconf pptp-linux printer-applet
                    pskmail psutils ptop puddletag pulseaudio pulseaudio-dbg pulseaudio-equalizer pulseaudio-esound-compat
                    pulseaudio-esound-compat-dbg pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-gconf-dbg
                    pulseaudio-module-hal pulseaudio-module-hal-dbg pulseaudio-module-lirc pulseaudio-module-lirc-dbg
                    pulseaudio-module-x11 pulseaudio-module-x11-dbg pulseaudio-module-zeroconf pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-dbg
                    puredata pxlib1 pxljr pyqt4-dev-tools pysdm python-appindicator python-aptdaemon python-aptdaemon-gtk
                    python-avogadro python-axiom python-clamav python-coherence python-epsilon python-evince python-evolution
                    python-farsight python-foolscap python-gconf python-gksu2 python-glade2 python-gmenu python-gnome2
                    python-gnome2-desktop python-gnomeapplet python-gnomecanvas python-gobject-cairo python-gst0.10
                    python-gtkspell python-imaging python-imaging-sane python-imaging-tk python-indicate python-kde4
                    python-launchpad-bugs python-libproxy python-libxml2 python-matplotlib python-mlt2 python-mysqldb
                    python-nautilus python-nevow python-newt python-numpy python-openal python-openssl python-papyon python-pmw
                    python-poppler python-pyatspi python-pygame python-pygresql python-pymtp python-pyopencl python-pyorbit
                    python-pytools python-qt4 python-qt4-gl python-qt4-phonon python-qt4-sql python-reportbug python-rpm
                    python-scipy python-software-properties python-speechd python-tk python-totem-plparser python-traitsbackendwx
                    python-traitsgui python-twisted python-twisted-conch python-twisted-core python-twisted-lore
                    python-twisted-mail python-twisted-names python-twisted-news python-twisted-runner python-twisted-web
                    python-twisted-words python-uniconvertor python-uno python-vte python-webkit python-wxgtk2.8 python-wxtools
                    python-xapian q4wine qalc qalculate qalculate-gtk qalculate-kde qapt-batch qlandkartegt qlix qt4-demos
                    qt4-dev-tools qtcreator qtcurve qtpfsgui quadrapassel quassel quiteinsane qx11grab r-base-core r-base-html
                    r-cran-bitops r-cran-car r-cran-catools radeontool rapidsvn rarian-compat rcalc rcconf rdesktop realplayer
                    recoll redet redland-utils rednotebook registry-tools reportbug reseed rezound rhinote rhyme rhythmbox
                    rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder rhythmbox-plugins ripit ristretto rkhunter rkward rocksndiamonds rpm rpm2cpio
                    rsnapshot rss-glx rssh rsync rsyslog rsyslog-gnutls rsyslog-mysql rsyslog-pgsql rubberband-ladspa ruby
                    ruby1.8 rubygems rubygems1.8 sabayon sane sane-utils satanic-kde-themes sbackup sbackup-gtk screen-profiles
                    screen-resolution-extra screenruler scribes scribus scrot seahorse seahorse-plugins secpanel seed
                    sessioninstaller sfftw2 shermans-aquarium shotwell showfoto shutter skanlite skype smart-notifier smc
                    smc-music smplayer smplayer-themes smplayer-translations snd-gtk sndfile-tools snort snort-common-libraries
                    snowballz software-center software-properties-gtk software-properties-kde sooperlooper soundconvert
                    soundconverter soundkonverter sox speech-dispatcher speex splix squeeze sreadahead ssh ssh-askpass-gnome
                    sshfs sshmenu sshmenu-gnome stardict stardict-common stardict-gtk stardict-plugin stardict-plugin-espeak
                    stardict-plugin-festival stardict-plugin-spell startupmanager stopmotion streamripper strigi-client
                    strigi-daemon stunnel4 subcommander subtitleripper subversion sun-java6-bin sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre
                    sun-java6-plugin sunflow swami sweep swell-foop swh-plugins sylpheed sylpheed-i18n synaptic sysstat
                    system-config-printer-gnome system-config-printer-kde system-tools-backends sysv-rc-conf tasks tasksel
                    tasksel-data tcl tcl8.4 tcl8.4-dev tcl8.5 tclvfs tcpdump tdfsb telepathy-butterfly telepathy-gabble
                    telepathy-haze telepathy-idle telepathy-logger telepathy-mission-control-5 telepathy-salut tellico tetex-bin
                    texlive texlive-base texlive-bibtex-extra texlive-binaries texlive-extra-utils texlive-font-utils
                    texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-formats-extra texlive-generic-recommended texlive-latex-base
                    texlive-latex-extra texlive-latex-recommended texlive-math-extra texlive-pictures texlive-plain-extra
                    texlive-pstricks texlive-science texmacs thunar thunar-archive-plugin thunar-media-tags-plugin thunar-volman
                    tidy tipa tk tk8.4 tk8.4-dev tk8.5 toilet tomatoes tora toshset totem totem-mozilla totem-plugins
                    totem-plugins-extra trafshow transcode transmageddon transmission-gtk treeline trimage truecrypt tsclient twm
                    twolame ubuntu-docs ubuntu-extras-keyring ubuntu-minimal ubuntu-sso-client ubuntu-standard
                    ubuntu-system-service ubuntu-tweak ubuntustudio-controls uck ufraw ukolovnik unattended-upgrades unionfs-fuse
                    unity unity-place-applications unity-place-files unzip update-manager update-manager-kde update-notifier
                    update-notifier-kde ureadahead usb-creator-common usb-creator-gtk usb-creator-kde usbutils userconfig uswsusp
                    uuid-runtime v4l-conf vbetool vcdimager vdpau-va-driver vfu videotrans vim vim-addon-manager vim-common
                    vim-full vim-gnome vim-gtk vim-ruby vim-tiny vim-vimoutliner vinagre vino virtualbox-3.2 virtuosoconverter
                    visual-regexp vkeybd vlc vlc-nox vlc-plugin-jack vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse vlc-plugin-sdl
                    vlc-plugin-svgalib vorbis-tools wacom-utility wavpack wbar wdm weblint-perl webmin whohas wine1.3 wine1.3-dev
                    winff winff-doc wireshark wireshark-common wordgrinder wsjt wv x11-apps x11-xkb-utils xawtv xawtv-plugin-qt
                    xawtv-tools xbase-clients xdg-user-dirs xdg-user-dirs-gtk xdiskusage xfburn xfce4 xfce4-appfinder
                    xfce4-goodies xfce4-places-plugin xfce4-power-manager xfce4-session xfce4-settings xfce4-terminal
                    xfce4-xfapplet-plugin xfce4-xkb-plugin xfdesktop4 xfmedia xine-console xine-plugin xine-ui xjadeo xmms2
                    xmms2-plugin-mad xoo xorg xpdf xpdf-reader xpp xprint xprint-common xprint-utils xsane xscorch
                    xscreensaver-data-extra xserver-common xserver-xephyr xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-dev
                    xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
                    xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-apm xserver-xorg-video-ark
                    xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-cirrus xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
                    xserver-xorg-video-i128 xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga
                    xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-nv xserver-xorg-video-openchrome xserver-xorg-video-r128
                    xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-rendition xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge
                    xserver-xorg-video-savage xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sis xserver-xorg-video-sisusb
                    xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-tseng xserver-xorg-video-v4l
                    xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware xserver-xorg-video-voodoo xtartan xterm xulrunner-1.9.2 xye
                    yarssr yelp yofrankie zeitgeist zeitgeist-datahub zeitgeist-fts-extension zssh
                    The following NEW packages will be installed:
                    cdebootstrap-static celestia-glut clamav-data console-tools erlang-base-hipe gs libavdevice-extra-52
                    libavfilter-extra-1 libclutter-eglx-es20-1.0-0 libconsole libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-drivers
                    libgd-gd2-noxpm-perl libgd2-noxpm libgles2-mesa libgpod4-nogtk librcc0 librcd0 libxcb-xfixes0
                    The following packages have been kept back:
                    upstart
                    The following packages will be upgraded:
                    computer-janitor empathy-common nautilus-data portmap
                    4 upgraded, 19 newly installed, 2004 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
                    Need to get 36.3MB of archives.
                    After this operation, 5,622MB disk space will be freed.
                    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
                    Abort.

-------------------------------------------------

This is not good.

Comment

did you add back the standard repo you removed?

Comment

Yes, I did. Without it in there, there is none of this mess.

I am wondering if this is somehow connected with aptitude. I NEVER use it, because it always threatens to remove my entire system, and I have no idea why. Apt-get has always worked properly. Yesterday, I ran aptitude to check a feature I read about somewhere, and yep, it wanted to flush the entire system, upgrade OOo (which has been removed), and a bunch of other really stupid things that say to me aptitude is broken somewhere. I am wondering if somehow the problems with aptitude got written to apt-get's configuration somewhere, and now apt-get is broken.

I think I am looking at a restore from backup here, unless there is some way to flush out whatever aptitude's problem is.

Comment

I'd say, show us your sources.list as well as any other non-standard lists you have. We might be able to see something you are missing.
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here is sources.list:

-----------------------
                            greenman@Wolfenstein:/etc/apt$ cat sources.list
                            # deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release i386 (20081029.1)]/ intrepid main restricted
                            # See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
                            # newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick main restricted
                            # deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
                            ## distribution.
                            deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates main restricted
                            # deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates main restricted

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
                            ## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive any
                            ## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
                            deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick universe
                            # deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick universe
                            deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates universe
                            # deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
                            ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
                            ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
                            ## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
                            ## security team.
                            deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick multiverse
                            # deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick multiverse
                            deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates multiverse
                            # deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
                            ## repository.
                            ## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
                            ## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
                            ## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
                            ## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
                            ## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
                            deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-backports main restricted universe multiverse
                            # deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-backports main restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
                            ## 'partner' repository. This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is
                            ## offered by Canonical and the respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu
                            ## users.
                            # deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ maverick partner
                            # deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ intrepid partner

## Ubuntu extras repository
                            deb http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick main

## Update repositories
                            deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-security main restricted
                            # deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-security main restricted
                            deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-security universe
                            # deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-security universe
                            deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-security multiverse
                            # deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-security multiverse
                            deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-proposed restricted main multiverse universe
                            # deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-proposed restricted main multiverse universe

-----------------------

I moved everything out of sources.list.d, did the update and -d dist-upgrade, and here is the error message I got:

Code:
                            greenman@Wolfenstein:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo apt-get -d dist-upgrade
                            Building dependency tree    
                            Calculating upgrade... Failed
                            The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                             php5 : Depends: libapache2-mod-php5 (>= 5.3.3-1ubuntu9.3) but it is not going to be installed or
                                     libapache2-mod-php5filter (>= 5.3.3-1ubuntu9.3) but it is not going to be installed or
                                     php5-cgi (>= 5.3.3-1ubuntu9.3) but it is not going to be installed or
                                     php5-fpm (>= 5.3.3-1ubuntu9.3) but it is not going to be installed
                             php5-mcrypt : Depends: phpapi-20090626
                             php5-sqlite : Depends: phpapi-20090626
                             php5-xsl : Depends: phpapi-20090626
                            N: Ignoring file 'noinstall' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has no filename extension
                            E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
                            This is how it all started this morning. I reinstalled the php5 packages, then it complained about ia32-libs, which I reinstalled, then I got the mess.

There are a whole bunch of sources.list.d list files, too many to list all their contents. But as I said, I have moved all of them out for purposes of this test.

Edit: PS this is on the system I just restored from backup, so it isn't aptitude's fault. Or anything else that happened in the last 4 days.

Comment

Why do you have commented:

# deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ maverick partner

in sources.list?
                              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X