X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 4.6 new impressions

Originally posted by toad
    @ wizard10000

Well, I'm not sure whether it is relevant in Kubuntu, hence my tentative prod, but in Arch the session has actually changed its name from kde to kde-plasmasession or some such - and kdm throws up over that. So you could try disabling autologin, log out, manually change your session, login again and re-enable autologin. Hopefully it'll work next time.
    That's pretty much exactly what I had to do last night and it did indeed fix it. Thanks
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

is any one else having issues with kwin effects on open GL settings and/or issues with laggy irresponsive browsers while set to Open GL?

Comment

Using Lancelot, the "no-click" option has quit working for me. Anybody else out there seeing the same thing?

Comment

Well, the crash on logout/shutdown only seems to happen about half the time, and I can't figure out any pattern for it, so who knows what's going on.

Comment

The sphere function has stopped working for me (prefer it to the cube) but it may be due to a different video card and nouveau driver. Can anybody confirm?
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Upgraded yesterday. Did not have a chance to test it extensively yet, but it´s all good so far. Only problems so far have been power profiles getting messed up (had to redo them) and for some reason not being able to change fonts (reverts back to Ubuntu font after every log in). The desktop as a whole does seem snappier and more responsive.
              Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
              Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
              Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

Originally posted by miasmablk
                is any one else having issues with kwin effects on open GL settings and/or issues with laggy irresponsive browsers while set to Open GL?
                Yes, I had poor performance using OpenGL and (I initially read this as "irresponsible" :P) irresponsive/tearing windows while scrolling in Firefox. Switching to Xrender solved both of these problems and works fantastically, with the exception of there being no blur effect. I have a laptop with an Intel GMA4500 video chip.

Are any of you experiencing problems with logging in going straight to the kde desktop, i.e. bypassing the kdm login screen?
                I had a problem with KDE 4.5* and I've seen it crop up once or twice since the update. As soon as you'd expect KDM to load, the system goes to a black screen and does nothing. The power button initiates a regular shutdown, but I can't switch to a terminal or do much of anything. The most effective solution is to open /etc/default/grub, and remove the 'quiet splash' parameters from the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. Or, hit the escape key when the bootsplash comes up.

Comment

One problem I have found so far. I can't seem to set my CPU scaling policy with solid-powermanagement anymore. Complains that I don't have it installed and to install kdebase-workspace-bin, which is installed. Is there a different way to do this now? Really hate that it defaults to ondemand even when on battery.
                  Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
                  Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
                  Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

Originally posted by poet_imp
                    Using Lancelot, the "no-click" option has quit working for me. Anybody else out there seeing the same thing?
                    I upgraded to KDE 4.6.00 this morning. I use Lancelot, and the 'no-click' setting, which is what I had prior to the KDE upgrade, works afterwards. No problems.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Rigmarole
                      Originally posted by miasmablk
                      Yes, I had poor performance using OpenGL and (I initially read this as "irresponsible" :P) irresponsive/tearing windows while scrolling in Firefox. Switching to Xrender solved both of these problems and works fantastically, with the exception of there being no blur effect. I have a laptop with an Intel GMA4500 video chip.

Are any of you experiencing problems with logging in going straight to the kde desktop, i.e. bypassing the kdm login screen?
                      I had a problem with KDE 4.5* and I've seen it crop up once or twice since the update. As soon as you'd expect KDM to load, the system goes to a black screen and does nothing. The power button initiates a regular shutdown, but I can't switch to a terminal or do much of anything. The most effective solution is to open /etc/default/grub, and remove the 'quiet splash' parameters from the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. Or, hit the escape key when the bootsplash comes up.
                      weird i have the same chipset...uh oh

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man
                        Well, the crash on logout/shutdown only seems to happen about half the time, and I can't figure out any pattern for it, so who knows what's going on.
                        Whatever the problem was, it seems to have worked itself out because I haven't had a crash since my previous post (quoted above).

Comment

I don't have a scientific answer for this but here's what (appears to have) worked for me to some extent at least.

On looking for the debug packages the crash report told me I needed to install to submit reports, I stumbled upon the following uninstalled package

Code:
                          kde-plasma-desktop
                          It looked rather important so I installed it. The effect was interesting. On shutdown it crashed again, but this time it wasn't plasma that crashed, but nepomuk. On disabling nepomuk it shut down without crashing every time. With nepomuk running I was able to minimise the risk of crashing by setting the system to play a shut-down tune. My conclusion is that the system was trying to shut down before nepomuk had cleanly shut down.

The above was with the shutdown menu. On hitting the power button it hasn't crashed at all, but it seems to sit there for 15-20 seconds before shutting down.

Everything else seems to work well though.

Comment

The sphere function has stopped working for me (prefer it to the cube) but it may be due to a different video card and nouveau driver. Can anybody confirm?
                            I can't comment Toad as I was looking to try this option when running 4.5.5, but it appeared to have completely disappeared from the list of options available in desktop effects. My conclusion when I looked was that the option must have been dropped.

Have they moved it somewhere else?

Comment

I got OpenGL working for desktop effects! I installed the NVidea 270 drivers from the xswat ppa, now desktop effects will work with OpenGL, OpenGL screen savers work and full screen flash works again! Animation speed for desktop effects needed to be set to "Fast" for things to be quick but I am happy everything is working so well now.

Comment

Working...
                              X