Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail: POP3 server does not support UIDL / downloads messages multiple times

Hi,
    kmail is behaving very weired lately: every day for the last three days kmail downloaded all messages in my pop3 account, even messages that have been downloaded and are still present in my inbox (creating duplicate messages); those that I have deleted appear again.
    It happens roughly once per day, not every time I check email, and only with the pop3 account, not with my IMAP accounts.
    I do not have the slightest idea what causes this behavior but it is very annoying; it only happens on my laptop, not on my desktop.
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    Thanks,
    Chopstick

P/S I think it is related to this bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=244860

Re: Kmail downloading messages from server again and again!

Have you checked the POP Settings (KMail > Configure Kmail... > Accounts > Receiving > Modify... > POP Settings to ensure that Leave fetched message on the server isn't checked?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I actually want to leave fetched messages on the server for some time, so that I can receive emails on both of my computers and have access to my recent email archive when I'm somewhere else... I've always done that and it never caused problems. I leave messages on the server for 21 days... (only these are downloaded again and again - the others are of course already deleted)

Comment

Not that I can say why this is happening, but if you can use IMAP why not do that? My understanding of IMAP is that it will sync with your account so that you don't have to download every message but "browse" through the content as on the server.

I think of this, in my case, as superior to pop, because I can access my mail from different clients and changes I make will be global. Also if I delete my mail client I don't have to download all the mails again and sort them into folders etc.

Comment

IMAP is certainly superior to POP3, I totally agree, and I use it where it is possible.
          Unfortunately one of my email accounts that I regularly use does not support IMAP (and that's the one that's causing the problem).

Comment

Kmail: POP3 server does not support UIDL / downloads messages multiple times

Recently I got an error message from kmail complaining that the server does not support UIDL... I believe this is related to the problem of redownloading emails (which still persists).
            It seems to be related to this bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=244860

Comment

Working...
            X