X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] How to use Local Repositories?

Hi,
    does anyone know how I can update my packages from a local mirror (of the cononical repository)?
    My university maintains a local mirror of all major linux distributions, and I would like to use it, so that updates don't count against my band width (and it would be very economical), but the repository is not in the list of mirrors I get to choose from, for example in Synaptic.
    I can add the local mirror as an additional repo (like ppa's) but updates are still downloaded from the official mirror in the list... and I have no idea where to change the list entries... there is no trace of these repos in sources.list either...
    Can anyone help me?
    Thanks!
    Chopstick

Re: How to use Local Repositories?

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list as root.
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
    and place your university repository at the top of the file.
    Code:
    # network repository
    deb [url]http://myuniversityserver/repo[/url] /

# local repository (USB, mounted harddisk)
    deb file:/pathtoyourrepo /
    ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

I have to ask, where do you attend university that accepts and supports Ubuntu?
      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

thanks a lot, ubuntuku! This seems to work!

However, I'm still a bit confused: there are a couple of repos I added in synaptic, which are included in the update-process, but do not appear in my sources.list... there must be another list of repos, right?

@rfakhrai: I'm at the University of Toronto. Especially the Physics Department is very supportive for Linux users.

Comment

Yep, you can find the other repos list in this folder: /etc/apt/sources.list.d
          ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

You beat me to it, ubuntuku :P
            Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
            Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
            Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Thanks, guys! I learned something :-)

Comment

Working...
              X